• 35(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
(2015-12-11, 13:26)HCarvalho Wrote: the fact that this chip doesn't support variable bitrate is very limitating, most stuf outh there have variable bitrate, what chip can read H265 and variable bitrate?
You are dealing with a very new codec here in H265.

I have been testing this device for the last three months and have not encountered any VBR H265 video. Simply none. Tested a lot of H265 clips in that time as well. Whoever is encoding this H265 stuff needs to set a constant bitrate for H265 video encoding for maximum compatibility across numerous devices.
I strongly suspect this VBR H265 video is encoded outside the specifications that companies build their chips to decode H265 in the first place and a new device will not help.

You may be confusing VBR Audio with video. There is an enormous amount of VBR audio.

in 55 movies with 1080p H265 codec, 20 have variable bitrate
Ok I've done a bit of reading, this is from your Mediacodec info:
Quote:Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Minimum frame rate : 23.974 fps
Maximum frame rate : 23.981 fps
Its actually a VFR (Variable Frame Rate). Not VBR. A bunch of encoders have been warning against encoding like this to prevent playback compatibility problems exactly like you have found.

Handbrake, which has been used to encode this H265 apparently foolishly defaults to VFR when encoding. Change it to a Constant Frame Rate otherwise it will be not just the Core that will have playback problems but other media players as well.

(2015-12-11, 12:37)wrxtasy Wrote: Literally go through every setting on your TV's and turn OFF all the picture, color enhancements, edge enhancements, motion smoothing, frame rate doubling etc. You will need to spend some time and effort switching all that shit off and consult the TV manuals.

Did everything and reduce a bit soap opera effect but still present. Is there something I can do or just have to give up?
Thanks for your help!
Yes give up and don't buy Samsung TV's, looks like they do some processing of the input picture even if you turn everything off.
I swear by Sony TV's.

(2015-12-11, 14:57)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes give up and don't buy Samsung TV's, looks like they do some processing of the input picture even if you turn everything off.
I swear by Sony TV's.

Thanks! With Panasonic doesnt work too.....
(2015-12-11, 13:26)HCarvalho Wrote: the fact that this chip doesn't support variable bitrate is very limitating, most stuf outh there have variable bitrate, what chip can read H265 and variable bitrate?
I have got quite a few H.265 files and they all play on my Cyclone X4 which S805 and assume also will not do variable bitrate.

(2015-12-11, 13:38)HCarvalho Wrote: in 55 movies with 1080p H265 codec, 20 have variable bitrate
Really? Are you encoding them yourself?

(2015-12-11, 14:10)wrxtasy Wrote: Ok I've done a bit of reading, this is from your Mediacodec info:
Quote:Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Minimum frame rate : 23.974 fps
Maximum frame rate : 23.981 fps
Its actually a VFR (Variable Frame Rate). Not VBR. A bunch of encoders have been warning against encoding like this to prevent playback compatibility problems exactly like you have found.

Handbrake, which has been used to encode this H265 apparently foolishly defaults to VFR when encoding. Change it to a Constant Frame Rate otherwise it will be not just the Core that will have playback problems but other media players as well.
Variable Frame Rate? Well that just sounds like a recipe for disaster!! I will keep an eye out for those and steer well clear!
H265 encoding is efficient enough without introducing VFR into the equation to try and un-successfully squeeze the last remaining amount of compression from the source video file.

I think that the VFR messes up with Amlogic's adaptive framerate for the smooth 24p reproduction
That definitely sounds logical, and another reason why VFR encoding should not be used.

So I wonder what would happen if this was turned off in Kodi with these problem files.
Settings > Videos > Playback > Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Off

Further tests would be to use MX Player, or the included movie player on the Core and play the files from a usb connected device.

Please keep in mind Amlogic's adaptive framerate and Kodi's "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" are 2 different things.
You can use Kodi's with s/w decoding, by instance, while AML's only work with amlcodec.

Personally, I'm only using the Kodi version. I've seen instabilities with the AML one (HDMI resets, probably due to out-of-range values).
The AML one can be disabled in the system settings ("Playback options" or something...).
Yes I know this already, what I was trying to test is to get the 23.976 VFR problem file output and use a 3:2 pulldown technique at 60Hz.

Just tested this, and still getting the "+++++++++++++++++framerate_automation_set_mode" out of the Kernel with dmesg.

(2015-12-11, 14:57)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes give up and don't buy Samsung TV's, looks like they do some processing of the input picture even if you turn everything off.
I swear by Sony TV's.

Last one please.
I have turned off the auto motion plus feature on my Samsung smart TV because I do not like the soap opera effect. Viewing TV, DVD, & Blu-Ray are fine, but when streaming movies through Kodi I am getting soap opera effect or isn't the soap opera effect. It is probably judder caused by the 3:2 pulldown?
Thanks
@sky76: To get rid of 3:2 pulldown, switch on the "Cinema Smooth" setting on your Samsung TV - you can only switch this setting on when TV is fed by 24p signal, so you need to have auto framerate switching configured on your wetek core first (and playing some 24p content of course).
Unistalled Kodi, cleared its cached, installed it again et voilá, no more audio sync problems, was even able to play a H264 file with VFR, no luck with a H265 file with VFR
  • 35(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4