• 41(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
(2015-12-15, 17:45)Reb313 Wrote: OK, so I'm thinking about going with this but I have a few questions.

1. (I googled for this forever and couldn't find anything on it) What is the difference between the Play and the Core?
2. With the Core, how can I hook up an antenna for OTA channels since this one doesn't have the built in adapters?
3. Can OPENELEC run android play store and android apps?

Thanks everyone!
1. Far superior next generation AMLogic CPU/GPU/VPU aka SoC.
A lot faster more Stable version of Android Lollipop. More User friendly as well with big Icons.
HD Netflix + other 1080p DRM streams due to proper Widevine Level 1 Certification (Play = max 480p)
It actually does proper 24p video Sync (This is not supported in the Play's Kernel)
Loverly smooth 24p HD Netflix as well. (Note Netflix is 2.0 Audio only)

2. No you will need a seperate backend TV Server device. I use a $37 ODROID C1 (Giga Ethernet) + a cheap usb TV Tuner + HDD. You can do all this on the Core when running OpenELEC if you buy the right, compatible usb Tuner. Its best to keep the server seperate from the TV viewer client and use Fast ethernet connections. That way you can watch TV in Android Kodi or OpenELEC Kodi. Excellent TV deinterlacing video quality with the Core. Smile

3. No, they are different OS's And only one of these can run at a time. OpenELEC is very quick. There is 1 annoying Networking issue affecting some people with OpenELEC at the moment that is being worked on and should be fixed soon.

(2015-12-15, 17:45)Reb313 Wrote: 1. (I googled for this forever and couldn't find anything on it) What is the difference between the Play and the Core?
Sorry mate, but your Google skills must be truly terrible.

Simply looking on the Wetek site at each model will show you what the differences are.

(2015-12-15, 17:45)Reb313 Wrote: 2. With the Core, how can I hook up an antenna for OTA channels since this one doesn't have the built in adapters?
USB adaptors may work eventually, but I think it is quite advanced. You may have difficulty with it given your Google skill level. Rofl

(2015-12-15, 17:45)Reb313 Wrote: 3. Can OPENELEC run android play store and android apps?
No.

(2015-12-15, 17:45)Reb313 Wrote: Thanks everyone!
You're welcome.
USB adaptors for live TV on the core work now, and its fairly simple:

http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-c...wetek-core

That said, I agree with wrxtasy its better to keep the tv server and clients separate if you can
Would using playon to stream all my stuff like Hulu/Netflix/etc. be the way to go with this device?
I don't know why you would want to do that as the Android Apps themselves used for streaming are a far superior way of viewing content. Android Kodi runs well, also if your worried about speed.
The gap between OpenELEC Kodi and Android Kodi is narrowing these days thanks to Koying's and others peoples tireless work. Smile

(2015-12-15, 19:46)wrxtasy Wrote: I don't know why you would want to do that as the Android Apps themselves used for streaming are a far superior way of viewing content. Android Kodi runs well, also if your worried about speed.
The gap between OpenELEC Kodi and Android Kodi is narrowing these days thanks to Koying's and others peoples tireless work. Smile

How is the gap narrowing? Can OpenELEC run netflix/hulu/Amazon Video?
(2015-12-15, 20:05)Reb313 Wrote:
(2015-12-15, 19:46)wrxtasy Wrote: I don't know why you would want to do that as the Android Apps themselves used for streaming are a far superior way of viewing content. Android Kodi runs well, also if your worried about speed.

How is the gap narrowing? Can OpenELEC run netflix/hulu/Amazon Video?

Think wrxtasy means the other way round. OpenElec/Linux solutions have traditionally been better for pure Kodi with better support for stuff like 3D MVC, 1080/24p frame packed output, HD Audio, Refresh rate switching, proper 23.976/59.94 support, TV back-ends and DVB tuner support etc.)
Quote:The gap between OpenELEC Kodi and Android Kodi is narrowing these days
This has nothing to do with Android Apps. I was talking about Kodi only.

Do not confuse very similar versions of Kodi with the Operating System they actually runs on.

All ready stated no Netflix / Hulu on OpenELEC. Android OS only.

So if I wanted to Integrate Cable TV / Satellite into this device from my provider, what's the best device to do that with? I have a beast desktop PC in the other room that I could hook it into and then share over the network to KODI.
That sort of inquiry should be taken to the following thread...
You will need to post up in that thread, exactly what gear you have already in detail, how its networked and what sort of budget you are looking at:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=250063

Searched this thread on "Harmony" and confused if my Harmony One can be programmed to control Core (w/o Flirc, MCE dongle, etc.)... nothing comes up when I type in "Wetek" in the MyHarmony software.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Thinking about ditching my Nexus Player for Wetek Core in my theater (running to Denon receiver then to a 1080p projector). I want to run Kodi via Android rather than booting an Open Elec image as my family traverses between several apps like Netflix and others. Anybody have any experience running Kodi this way on the Core? Hopefully it is just as good as running the Open Elec image?
Just a few points to consider and a bit of extra info:

- Android Kodi on low powered AMLogic S8XX/S9XX SoC's (System on Chip) will never be as fast as OpenELEC Kodi running on these devices. As I have already stated OpenELEC is a lean mean Kodi distribution, that was designed from the ground up to primarily do one thing, run Kodi.

- I'm not saying Android Lollipop OS or Android Kodi running on the Core is slow either, its actually pretty slick and quick, especially Kodi Jarvis beta5.

- Android Apps, can be selected from within Kodi and added as Favourites. Select the Android App like Netflix, watch some stuff. Exit Netflix and it auto-switches straight back into Kodi. Some Kodi Skins mount these Favourites on the main view screen too for easy selection.

- Be aware the usual Netflix App is used, and will give you 2.0 Audio only with 1080p video. Blame Netflix for the Audio restriction.

- Android Lollipop OS has Android Apps that are not as remote control friendly as those running on the Android TV OS that you get on the nVIDIA Shield, Fire TV/Stick or Google Nexus. The Android TV OS - YouTube App works on the Core, there are probably more. For some functions you may have to use the Air mouse which can be a cause of frustration for some users that have never used one before.

- The tradeoff is you get full access to the entire catalogue of Apps from the Google Play Store, not the limited Android TV OS selection. These will Auto update as well.
Yes you can side load Apps on Android TV OS, but I've been told if you update the Android TV OS Firmware you have to repeat the process every time, over and over, these Side loaded Apps will not Auto Update either. Its not ideal.

- Christian Troy is adding features to the Android WeTek launcher on a regular basis, he even takes requests. You will be able to shortly boot straight into Kodi.
I am really starting to love this minimal Zen looking, slick WeTek launcher, CT has produced. There is a bunch of remote control shortcut button press combos under the hood which work well once you get to know them. Its well thought out. CT is a friendly, talented developer Smile

OK thanks that is very helpful. It sounds like the only downside is the Netflix app running @ 1080p HD with 23.976fps video output (per your first post) but only 2 channel stereo audio. I need to think about that issue versus perhaps the Shield. The bulk of the use is Kodi.
Yes its a point to consider. I'm a Netflix fan of the meaty TV series they have on their service. I don't care about 5.1 Audio or HD Audio passthrough but do very much like 23.976fps smoothly synced video output. So the Core hit its target consumer aimpoint for me.

• 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4