• 42(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
Krade: Personally, I am finding that the WeTek Core is not quite meeting my expectations as far as being completely family friendly. I find the Google Nexus Player to be easier to use for the family, despite its limitations. I'm a computer geek, so I can manage through the Android OS, but I miss the simplicity of the ATV for the less technically inclined. One of the major benefits of the WeTek Core is its ability to access the main Google Play store rather than the limited Android TV app store. Of course, there are several other benefits, including superior deinterlacing for live TV sources and recordings, ethernet port, SDCard slot, USB ports.

-The Nexus Player fails poorly in terms of deinterlacing live TV and it is annoying to have to use a USB OTG cable to add a USB hub to support ethernet and Logitech K400. However, it is(was) the cheapest option(rather hard to find anywhere in Canada at the moment) at $80 CDN plus the cost of the above peripherals($45), about $125 total.

-The WeTek Core was about $150 CDN shipped to my door from Slovenia in 2 days, which is pretty awesome service if you ask me.

-Then there is the amazing Nvidia Shield Android TV which is currently about $300CDN(not the PRO version), so it is very difficult to justify spending double the money. I know that this device supports Netflix HD and 5.1 surround sound via Dolby Digital Plus passthrough.

-Realistically, the next option to consider for family friendliness is the new ATV4($225), especially considering that DaVilla has created a fork of KODI(no add-on support) for purchase in the TVOS app store(MrMC).

Perhaps Wrxtasy can offer some opinions as to which device has better support for deinterlacing? The new ATV4 or the Nvidia Shield Android TV?

This issue of having a device that is remote friendly, works well with KODI(quality deinterlacing) and can be used for Netflix has been plaguing me for quite a while. The result has simply been to use one device for KODI and something like a PS3 for netflix, but isn't it awesome when everything is available on the same box :-) Peace
(2015-12-16, 08:41)slot47 Wrote: Krade: Personally, I am finding that the WeTek Core is not quite meeting my expectations as far as being completely family friendly. I find the Google Nexus Player to be easier to use for the family, despite its limitations. I'm a computer geek, so I can manage through the Android OS, but I miss the simplicity of the ATV for the less technically inclined. One of the major benefits of the WeTek Core is its ability to access the main Google Play store rather than the limited Android TV app store. Of course, there are several other benefits, including superior deinterlacing for live TV sources and recordings, ethernet port, SDCard slot, USB ports.

-The Nexus Player fails poorly in terms of deinterlacing live TV and it is annoying to have to use a USB OTG cable to add a USB hub to support ethernet and Logitech K400. However, it is(was) the cheapest option(rather hard to find anywhere in Canada at the moment) at $80 CDN plus the cost of the above peripherals($45), about $125 total.

-The WeTek Core was about $150 CDN shipped to my door from Slovenia in 2 days, which is pretty awesome service if you ask me.

-Then there is the amazing Nvidia Shield Android TV which is currently about $300CDN(not the PRO version), so it is very difficult to justify spending double the money. I know that this device supports Netflix HD and 5.1 surround sound via Dolby Digital Plus passthrough.

-Realistically, the next option to consider for family friendliness is the new ATV4($225), especially considering that DaVilla has created a fork of KODI(no add-on support) for purchase in the TVOS app store(MrMC).

Perhaps Wrxtasy can offer some opinions as to which device has better support for deinterlacing? The new ATV4 or the Nvidia Shield Android TV?

This issue of having a device that is remote friendly, works well with KODI(quality deinterlacing) and can be used for Netflix has been plaguing me for quite a while. The result has simply been to use one device for KODI and something like a PS3 for netflix, but isn't it awesome when everything is available on the same box :-) Peace

Deinterlacing on the shield is very good, but not as good as the core imo, the Core does aml deinterlacing which is superb. It's almost as good as my Chromebox.

I have both a sheild and a core, for ease of use (and excellent Netflix) the shield wins, but as you say it's twice the price.

So far I've found the core excellent, and as wextasy says ChristianTroy is very reactive. The only downside is the apps are not as remote friendly as the shield. It's such as shame that Netflix, BBC and other don't allow the android TV versions to be more widely available.
I have a AMLogic S805 C1 I've been developing on. The de-interlacing on that is pretty good, there is a bit of Edge Sharpening that occurs that some will not like, especially RPi users.

The S812-H in the Core is better and does not process the de-interlaced video so much. Also like the S805 it does Motion Adaptive de-interlacing which looks really superb, especially for fast action sports TV broadcasts. Its now my primary Broadcast TV viewing platform.

I cannot comment on the Shield or the ATV4's deinterlacing quality.
The ATV4 being such a new platform, I have not seen much feedback yet. Be aware however the MrMC version of Kodi for the ATV4 sold through the Apple App Store has had Python code removed for Apple compliance. So all Python scripted Kodi Addons will not work. The PVR Clients still operate tho and there are improvements coming down the pipe from the very skilled Linux / Kodi developer Davilla. Smile

Maybe, a thats a big maybe, sometime in the future Google may relax the Android TV OS restrictions a bit and allow more of those types of remote control friendly Apps to be installed. I'm sure the hackers are looking right into them at this very moment looking for ways to bypass such restrictions.

If netflix wants you can install the android tv, I can sideload it but doesn't run because netflix does a server check. Maybe we all should do a google play review of the app stating no 5.1 audio and not remote friendly. Then maybe they change the normal app or allow the tv one to run (because it installs fine on 5.1.1 android)
(2015-12-16, 08:41)slot47 Wrote: Krade: Personally, I am finding that the WeTek Core is not quite meeting my expectations as far as being completely family friendly. I find the Google Nexus Player to be easier to use for the family, despite its limitations. I'm a computer geek, so I can manage through the Android OS, but I miss the simplicity of the ATV for the less technically inclined. One of the major benefits of the WeTek Core is its ability to access the main Google Play store rather than the limited Android TV app store. Of course, there are several other benefits, including superior deinterlacing for live TV sources and recordings, ethernet port, SDCard slot, USB ports.

I believe I am probably at the point of having a couple devices in my theater rather than searching for the ultimate "all in one" device - running a Kodi specific box and then an Android box that supports Netflix 5.1 audio / other apps. My general issue is that I buy too many boxesBlush I have a raspberry pi (old gen), fire tv stick, fire tv (old gen), Nexus Player, several Roku boxes (no Kodi support of course), a 2010 vintage rack mounted PC I boot to open elec, and a recently purchased Remix Mini. I might as well buy the Wetek Core to continue my collection. The problem I have with keeping the Nexus Player is that there is a bug or hardware issue with audio cut outs (get that in Netflix and You Tube but not in Kodi when passing thru audio to my receiver) that seems to plague some Nexus devices with no apparent fix other than an RMA.

Onward to to the Wetek Core as I like the Kodi / Open Elec sponsorship and the seemingly great support it gets. I use a k400 keyboard in my theater anyway (so no problem with the use of a mouse); and I guess if I have to - I could run Netflix stereo in pseudo surround sound mode as its use in my theater is limited.
So if the netflix app only does 2.0 sound why not just install the extracted Netflix 2.0 APK from Sony's Android TV which has 5.1 surround?
Does the Sony extracted APK still work on other Android players? I had read somewhere it no longer does.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Christian, how big of a leap or effort is it to switch the OS from Android Lollipop to Android TV? I'm a total Android noob but it seems like TV would have been the right OS for this device. Based on what I see on this thread, Wetek Core would have been the killer single user box. It would destroy ATV4 and Shield due to price alone, but most people buy those other boxes are looking for gaming consoles.

Regards.
Thanks for that info wrxtasy! Good to know, I need to pick up another player soon and this Core looks good for what I need (especially since I don't have to buy another remote).

What is it with Android media box remotes not having a stop button? lol The remotes that came with my Minix don't have stop buttons either. Too funny.

(2015-12-15, 11:18)wrxtasy Wrote: Its a quality remote. Curved and fits nicely in the curve of the palm.
Button presses are nice and responsive due to the short clicker type arrangement used.
And being RF Wireless, response is instantaneous. Air Mouse precision is accurate.
It has IR too, but that is only used to put the Core into ultra low power standby mode.

There has actually been some design care by WeTek go into this remote. It does not look or feel cheap.

Downsides, and this applies to any AirMouse remote, is it can be confusing for Newbies to get used to and wrap their head around. Also some minor remapping of buttons in Kodi (to program stop for instance) is really needed using the Kodi Keymap Editor Add-on. This is easily done.
A BT Keyboard is really needed for serious text input.
(2015-12-16, 17:56)atv2jber Wrote: Christian, how big of a leap or effort is it to switch the OS from Android Lollipop to Android TV? I'm a total Android noob but it seems like TV would have been the right OS for this device. Based on what I see on this thread, Wetek Core would have been the killer single user box. It would destroy ATV4 and Shield due to price alone, but most people buy those other boxes are looking for gaming consoles.

Regards.
I've read somewhere that christian will release a android tv for core (I could be wrong) but that doesn't fix the netflix issue. They do a check server side and only allow specific devices. The android tv app installs just fine and is capable of running on core with lollipop...
(2015-12-16, 18:10)francovilar Wrote:
(2015-12-16, 17:56)atv2jber Wrote: Christian, how big of a leap or effort is it to switch the OS from Android Lollipop to Android TV? I'm a total Android noob but it seems like TV would have been the right OS for this device. Based on what I see on this thread, Wetek Core would have been the killer single user box. It would destroy ATV4 and Shield due to price alone, but most people buy those other boxes are looking for gaming consoles.

Regards.
I've read somewhere that christian will release a android tv for core (I could be wrong) but that doesn't fix the netflix issue. They do a check server side and only allow specific devices. The android tv app installs just fine and is capable of running on core with lollipop...

I see. So the Wetek Core would need to go through some type of Netflix certification before it would pass this check? So that it is placed on the server side list?

Regards.

Why not just edit the device prop ID so Google thinks it's one of those devices?
(2015-12-16, 18:34)Reb313 Wrote:

Regards.

Why not just edit the device prop ID so Google thinks it's one of those devices?
I tried market helper and doesn't work. The hack should be on the apk... but I don't know how. The easy way imho is to pressure netflix to allow this, what I did is give a bad review on Google store and explained why
Just for clarification the release of android tv for core maybe wasn't Christian that said. .. my source was the first page of this thread
I'm looking using core with Kodi primarily. Does this support installing ace stream and sopcast?
  • 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4