• 71(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
(2016-01-19, 03:48)wesk05 Wrote: Very interesting! Minix keeps saying that S812 SoC doesn't have enough I2S channels for multichannel (8) PCM output. Wonder what is different between the SoCs the two companies are using Wink

I think it should work also on S805 (works for sure on S905), later I will hook it up to the AVR and try it with the same audio HAL
Mmm.. If multi-channel pcm is possible, so is hd passthrough, right?
That's needed for Atmos.

Minix made amlogic do a java compatible (and thus Kodi compatible) passthrough interface for HD in S905.
Not sure if it's exclusive or not, but if it's not, I suppose it could be backported to s812.
I know for sure that any S8xx soc has the proper license from Dolby or DTS for bitstream, maybe S9 has, or maybe Minix do it without caring, I will try to ask.
You don't need license for passthrough, only for decoding, ie PCM
(2016-01-19, 09:00)Koying Wrote: Mmm.. If multi-channel pcm is possible, so is hd passthrough, right?
That's needed for Atmos.

Depends on max HDMI audio bandwidth supported. If a device supports 8 channel 192kHz 24 bit PCM output over HDMI then it should also support the lossless compressed HD Audio formats as a bitstream (even if they are not 192kHz themselves). If they don't support 192kHz 8 channel PCM over HDMI then it will probably be decode only.

For example, the Raspberry Pi and Pi 2 can output 8 channel 48/96kHz PCM and 4 channel 192kHz PCM, but can't bitstream DTS-HD MA/HRA or Dolby True HD (because the 4 channel 192kHz output is the limiting factor and is too low to support a bitstreamed HD Audio signal)

Do we know how the development builds have handled 192kHz 5.1/7.1 HD Audio (Akira is one of the few Blu-rays with a 192kHz multichannel track). (Also how are DD+ and DTS-HD HRA - not MA - handled. Quite a few UK TV series releases have had HRA rather than MA tracks)
(2016-01-19, 11:52)noggin Wrote:
(2016-01-19, 09:00)Koying Wrote: Mmm.. If multi-channel pcm is possible, so is hd passthrough, right?
That's needed for Atmos.
Depends on max HDMI audio bandwidth supported. If a device supports 8 channel 192kHz 24 bit PCM output over HDMI then it should also support the lossless compressed HD Audio formats as a bitstream (even if they are not 192kHz themselves). If they don't support 192kHz 8 channel PCM over HDMI then it will probably be decode only.

Righty right...
BTW I confirm multich pcm working on S805 too, I just tested it
Thanks for your work Christian. BTW, our love-to-hate-to-love Wink VidOn does HD audio bitstreaming via Tronsmart S95 (AML S905) & via Minix X8-H+ (AML S812). So, it's possible. But, from what I gather, they've been unable to provide both HD audio + 23.976 in AML, so it's one or the other.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Well I really don't think that anyone buying a Core will notice the difference between multich PCM and bitstream, that kind of users able to perceive this difference would target other solutions imho.
Most people realize it by looking on ther AVR's display ... and then start to whine ... same with the DAC people that look at their green 192 khz light. Don't waste your energy with those, please :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Agree... you're primarily losing ATMOS & DTS:X for those who care. With the media player doing the decoding vs. AVR, you're also losing dialog normalization & dynamic range compression, but there's debate on this. Here's an example.

Here's a white paper from Dolby, which also talks about proper downmixing, but I'd think today's AVR's are smart enough to do this properly. I haven't tested 7.1 tracks in a 5.1 set-up with PCM output, but I'd expect you'd get rears/sides from rears just fine (or ideally virtual sides somewhere between rears & fronts?), especially with 5.1 as the channel configuration in Kodi's audio settings.

Anyway, hopefully Christian & droidelec are okay with me posting Core's PCM patch results here (sorry, not sharing the actual patch; that's for them to make available however/whenever they feel best). Test results are too good to not share Smile. If bad, would've kept them in private quarters Wink...

This is all with audio output set to HDMI in Android audio settings (not PCM) , and with 7.1 as the speaker configuration (what I have) in Kodi (the preinstalled version w/WeTek OS v1.0.1 OTA firmware).

Initially, I left passthrough enabled in Kodi Settings > Audio Output:
  • DD5.1 channel check ... correctly output as DD5.1
  • DD+ 5.1 ... output as PCM 5.1
  • DD+ 7.1 ... output as PCM 5.1 (not 7.1, as no audio from rear surrounds)
  • TrueHD 5.1 ... perfectly output as PCM 5.1
  • TrueHD 7.1 ... perfectly output as PCM 7.1
  • DTS5.1 ... correctly output as DTS5.1
  • DTS-MA 5.1 channel check ... output as standard DTS 5.1
  • DTS-MA 7.1 channel check ... also output as standard DTS 5.1
  • PCM 7.1 channel check ... perfectly output as PCM 7.1
Now, when I went back to Kodi audio settings & disabled passthrough:
  • TrueHD 5.1 & 7.1 are screwed up, with audio only through left speaker, no center, and other channels heard through left
  • DTS-MA 5.1 ... output as PCM 5.1, which is great
  • DTS-MA 7.1 ... output as PCM 7.1, also great
So, with this patch, this build/version, to get the optimal & proper HD audio output, passthrough should be enabled, but with only DD/AC3 enabled & DTS disabled.

One issue I did notice however is that there's no picture, only audio, with certain videos. One I could consistently reproduce the issue with is the LPCM 7.1 channel check clip that Kodi forum member wesk05 shared with me. I've provided the clip to Christian for testing. What's interesting though is when I then tried another video with LPCM 7.1, my full MKV rip of '3:10 to Yuma' Blu-ray, no issue w/video. In fact, playback was perfect (video & audio), and this is VC-1 23.976 video to boot.
My Family Room Theater
Honestly, if we were talking about something else than leds lighting up on the TV/AVR, HD Audio and 4K wouldn't be a topic on those forums, besides for the 2 having an ACTUAL home cinema like http://daylightmusic.net/wp-content/uplo...cinema.jpg Wink
@hdmkv

for DD+ 7.1 can you try the latest modified Kodi apk pls? (it won't replace stock Kodi since it has a different package name)

https://github.com/christiantroy/xbmc/re...Tek_mod_v7

I had noticed that for some reason Kodi was recognizing the 7.1 DD+ track as 5.1 and I did a nasty workaround: https://github.com/christiantroy/xbmc/co...1e3ce48c33
Happy to. Have some real (the paying kind Wink) work to get to in a bit, but will definitely test later today.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-01-19, 15:41)ChristianTroy Wrote: @hdmkv

for DD+ 7.1 can you try the latest modified Kodi apk pls? (it won't replace stock Kodi since it has a different package name)

https://github.com/christiantroy/xbmc/re...Tek_mod_v7

I had noticed that for some reason Kodi was recognizing the 7.1 DD+ track as 5.1 and I did a nasty workaround: https://github.com/christiantroy/xbmc/co...1e3ce48c33
I added some questions into the commit.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 71(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4