• 76(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
I guess it's better to boot OE from a class 10 sd card instead of a usb stick because there is only USB 2.0 ports, right?
Yes, also a faster card would write faster because /home is mounted on the second partition of the booting device
In addition to faster = better, I would like to add that not all of the faster cards are equal.

I bought a Sandisk Ultra 32GB Class10 UHS1 that I thought would be the dogs danglers. Sandisk are pretty well regarded and this card was bought from a reliable source, so I know it isn't a cheap clone. Sadly it hasn't performed that well at all, and I recently gave up on it.

I just bought a 32GB Samsung EVO Class10 UHS 1 card, and that is a very different story. So far it has been worlds apart from the Sandisk card. It seems very fast and hasn't given me a single problem. This is with exactly the same setup, library, addons, and settings.

My advice to anybody looking for a good user experience is to buy the Samsung EVO cards, they just seem to work well.

Mine was about £8 for a 32GB and SD adapter, so not pricey either.
Yes, regarding Sandisk there ar different version, all class 10, but with different prices and different performance (some of them mostly aimed to DSLR burst shooter or video makers).
I have a microsd sandisk extreme that when put in the mbp card reader (that is connected by usb3) writes at 45 mB/s Big Grin It's pricey but Amazon.it had a very good price for it, and at that time I was using it as additional storage on my Surface Pro so wanted something performing
Also @droidelec when tried to copy some stuff on that card was surprised by its speed, lol
When all is said and done if you are running an optimised OpenELEC distro, even a Class 6 Sandisk will get the job done on any AMLogic device.

Unless you are doing Movie Scraping numbered in the Thousands of titles and doing a LOT of Random Write operations I seriously doubt you are going to notice the difference between an expensive microSDHC card and a cheap one. Most of us do not do this every day anyway.

A lot of this talk is a hangover from OpenELEC on the RPI2 that has slower RAM, Networking and Clock speeds. This is where you do notice a difference with a good microSDHC, like the Samsung EVO Class 10 that has decent random R/W speeds.

(2016-02-02, 12:04)ChristianTroy Wrote: Yes, regarding Sandisk there ar different version, all class 10, but with different prices and different performance (some of them mostly aimed to DSLR burst shooter or video makers).
I have a microsd sandisk extreme that when put in the mbp card reader (that is connected by usb3) writes at 45 mB/s Big Grin It's pricey but Amazon.it had a very good price for it, and at that time I was using it as additional storage on my Surface Pro so wanted something performing
Also @droidelec when tried to copy some stuff on that card was surprised by its speed, lol
Well the one I bought said:
Upto 80MB/s read, 533x on the packaging, along with
Quote:SanDisk Ultra microSDHC/microSDXC UHS-I cards are a great choice for Android-powered and other smartphones and tablets. With SanDisk Ultra microSD UHS-I cards you’ll benefit from faster downloads, higher capacity, and better performance to capture and store up to 128GB of high quality pictures and Full HD video.
I don't think it made a mention of write speeds. Yes it wasn't expensive, but tbh I didn't know there were different types within the classes. And why would they do that? Surely it just makes it harder to compare and buy the right one for your application?

Since it does seem to make a performance difference, maybe we should think about creating a list of recommended cards and part numbers so people can order them correctly?
Yes, read, most of the read fast but then have crappy write speed Big Grin
Yeah, the Samsung EVO flew through the imaging process using Win32DiskImager, whereas the Sandisk was definitely struggling.

It was showing about ~12MB/s writing the Sandisk, but more like ~26MB/s for the Samsung.
You are concentrating on sustained write speeds that will rarely be used. It's the 4K Random R/W speeds that are the key for speed on an OpenELEC OS. ie. Small sized files.

The Samsung EVO series happens to have good 4K Random R/W speeds, along with some of the Samsung microSDHC. There is an old thread over in the RPi sub-forum that goes into this in depth and has user proven test results posted too.

Keep in mind that microSD card performance differs based on the platform. My Samsung EVO 16GB Class 10 UHS-1 card has a random read speed ~40% lower on the Pi 2 than a PC. Numbers from my stock Pi 2 are below:

Code:
Creating test file flash-bench.tmp of size 512MB.
Benchmark: Sequential read  Limits: Total size: 512MB Duration: 60s
512.0MB processed in 29.48s (17.37MB/s), CPU: user 0.03%, sys 1.40%
Benchmark: Sequential write  Limits: Total size: 512MB Duration: 60s
512.0MB processed in 53.83s (9.51MB/s), CPU: user 0.02%, sys 1.35%
Benchmark: Random read  Limits: Total size: 512MB Duration: 60s
278.8MB processed in 60.02s (4.64MB/s), CPU: user 0.03%, sys 1.54%
Benchmark: Random write  Limits: Total size: 512MB Duration: 60s
171.9MB processed in 154.74s (1.11MB/s), CPU: user 0.00%, sys 0.32%
(2016-02-02, 14:27)lstar337 Wrote: Since it does seem to make a performance difference, maybe we should think about creating a list of recommended cards and part numbers so people can order them correctly?

I support this.
Two Threads here:

Best SD Card

Best SDHC Card

We are happy to announce that we finally fix HD Audio passthrough for both S8xx and S9xx Platforms in Kodi, so from now on all owners of WeTek Core and other devices powered either by S8xx or S9xx can enjoy in HD Audio passthrough.

Tested:

DTS-HD Master

Dolby TrueHD

Tested on both WeTek Core (S812-H) and WeTek Play+ (S905-H Rev. C) with Android Lollipop 5.1.1.

Today we will try prepare OTA Firmware update for WeTek Core. We will send all patches and changes so it can be add to Kodi, until then people can use modified version of Kodi.

Next to follow is OpenELEC for Core.

WeTek-Jarvis-16.0rc2-v1-HD-Audio-Passthrough.apk

Code:
https://mega.nz/#!S9tgRb6Q!Na6YEDT257-QxwiE2k5riPwErEC4I0WtxrALrpNNNrc

Notes:

We cherry-picked the AudioTrack commits made by koying for the Minix Neo U1 (S905) Isengard sources and applied them to Jarvis rc2, the modified source code will be available soon on ChristianTroy's github.
Excellent, thanks. You guys are on a roll... just need Core units in stock for people to buy Smile.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
The sources are reachable here: https://github.com/christiantroy/xbmc/re...Tek_mod_v1

The various patches have been squashed to just a single commit: https://github.com/christiantroy/xbmc/co...be6311bc91

Soon on the same page will be also available the apk (it's being uploaded right now). The package name has been modified to org.xbmc.kodi_wetek_mod so you can have both the official and this installed.
  • 76(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4