• 96(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
(2016-02-17, 01:02)benjidave Wrote: Do you guys recommend the new upcoming Odroid C2 over wetek core? Can't choose which one to get. I'll only use OpenElec on it (yes I need HEVC). Nothing else. It seems to be more futureproof with real 4k support/hdmi 2.0.

Mr. Wrxtasy, will you work on an OE for C2 or the Wetek build will do it?

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, it might not be the good forum thread.
Already answered regarding OE on the C2 in The Pick the Right Box thread. Not a good idea to double post across different threads....

Depends on your needs in the end and the 4K video content available to actually use the new features. New media box Hardware always leads video content thats available by a decent margin. Sometimes by the time the video content has caught up and is widely available, out comes new Hardware again, and so the cycle repeats itself. Limited 4K Netflix and Amazon content being the exceptions.

With AMLogic, the brand new Hardware is usually the most bug ridden too. Unless talented, dedicated devs put time and money into it fixing problems and don't rush media player boxes to market.

(2016-02-17, 05:36)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-02-17, 01:02)benjidave Wrote: Do you guys recommend the new upcoming Odroid C2 over wetek core? Can't choose which one to get. I'll only use OpenElec on it (yes I need HEVC). Nothing else. It seems to be more futureproof with real 4k support/hdmi 2.0.

Mr. Wrxtasy, will you work on an OE for C2 or the Wetek build will do it?

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, it might not be the good forum thread.
Already answered regarding OE on the C2 in The Pick the Right Box thread. Not a good idea to double post across different threads....

Depends on your needs in the end and the 4K video content available to actually use the new features. New media box Hardware always leads video content thats available by a decent margin. Sometimes by the time the video content has caught up and is widely available, out comes new Hardware again, and so the cycle repeats itself. Limited 4K Netflix and Amazon content being the exceptions.

With AMLogic, the brand new Hardware is usually the most bug ridden too. Unless talented, dedicated devs put time and money into it fixing problems and don't rush media player boxes to market.

Yes - it has taken the C1/C1+ a long time to become a decent media player, and it has been out for a while now. There were a number of show-stopping bugs that took a long time to iron out, due to the limited dev effort and experience. (The most obvious was the major HDMI clock issue that meant you couldn't use your C1 with many AVRs as they suffered continuous video drop outs, and even without an AVR you got sound drop outs)

I suspect that we may have new issues with the C2 SoC (S905) that could take a while to find and fix, particularly as it is a move from 32 bit to 64 bit ARM architecture, which is quite new to the scene.

The thing that worries me the most about the C2 is the very old kernel that is being deployed with it. 3.14 LTS was released in March 2014, and ceases to receive long term support in August 2016 (i.e. 6 months time)

3.14 LTS is the 12th LTS kernel release, but the most recent is 4.4 LTS, which is the 15th LTS release and supported until Feb 2018.

I know there are reasons for kernels for some platforms to lag behind the current releases, but 3.14 is looking quite elderly, and will increasingly limit the platform. It's interesting to compare to the Raspberry Pi 2 - which is keeping pretty much up to date with the kernel releases it appears?

This isn't esoteric navel gazing either - a kernel this old will not include support for newer peripherals, like recent WiFi and DVB adapters. You are then at the mercy of being able to build and back port drivers to the kernel yourself, or rely on others to build things for you. wrxtasy does a splendid job with his OE builds, but if you want to run odroibian or other general linux distros, it all gets boringly hard very quickly when compared to x86 or the Pi 2 platform. (But not as bad as some of the dreadful Allwinner stuff... <shudder>)
@noggin can you take the above post and transfer it over to the C2 thread pls and I will continue posting there.

(2016-02-17, 14:42)wrxtasy Wrote: @noggin can you take the above post and transfer it over to the C2 thread pls and I will continue posting there.

Think it should probably stay here, as it is relevant to the C2 vs Core post (and my thoughts as to why a C2 may take a little while to be a good decision for a non-tinkerer). Will cut and paste the contents to the other thread as a new post.
@ wrxtasy

Sorry for that double posts.

If my real needs for now is only playing h264/hevc 1080p videos from ethernet (I don't even need 4k for now), C1+ is good enough I guess then? It probably doesn't worth the time to wait until C2 gets mature.
Answering over in the C1 thread.....

Just a little announcement, if this goes in: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9152 - AMLogic won't work anymore - neither on Android, neither on Linux. This was announced months ago. So now is the time to step up and fix outstanding things.

Those honestly interested can check my amlogic branch for starters.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi fritsch,

As you are already informed, we are working on this. I am pretty sure that you will see some PR soon Wink
(2016-02-17, 21:17)fritsch Wrote: Just a little announcement, if this goes in: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9152 - AMLogic won't work anymore - neither on Android, neither on Linux. This was announced months ago. So now is the time to step up and fix outstanding things.

That's not true. Many Amlogic devices run quite well using mediacodec on Andoid.

Either way, I think codesnake will have something that will make everyone happy.
(2016-02-18, 03:25)Ned Scott Wrote: Either way, I think codesnake will have something that will make everyone happy.
All ears, or eyes on this thread Smile.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-02-18, 03:25)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-02-17, 21:17)fritsch Wrote: Just a little announcement, if this goes in: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9152 - AMLogic won't work anymore - neither on Android, neither on Linux. This was announced months ago. So now is the time to step up and fix outstanding things.

That's not true. Many Amlogic devices run quite well using mediacodec on Andoid.

Either way, I think codesnake will have something that will make everyone happy.
Did some testing a while back with Mediacodec using Android and it broke Hardware decoding of interlaced mpeg2, required for Live TV Broadcasts. It defaults to ff-mpeg2 with crappy deinterlacing quality.

Yes we will see what tricks Codesnake has coming down the pipe.

(2016-02-18, 04:54)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-02-18, 03:25)Ned Scott Wrote:

Did some testing a while back with Mediacodec using Android and it broke Hardware decoding of interlaced mpeg2, required for Live TV Broadcasts. It defaults to ff-mpeg2 with crappy deinterlacing quality.

Yes we will see what tricks Codesnake has coming down the pipe.

Yeah - whatever. StefanSareav took my Sunday afternoon write up and made it fit onto the PR. So now we can continue in the semi broken state until codesnake sends his PR, which was already discussed internally with the head of video player development and some other not that important guys like me :-)

Nobody wants to kill it just for fun, it is highly welcome, but is not allowed to stop future developments. So all fine for now and still a long time until v17 :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@codesnake You are aware of amlplayer, right?
It was the omxmlayer-like implementation for aml before it got deprecated in favor of amlcodec.

It surely still is in git history.
@Koying Yes, as far as I remember amlplayer was deprecated in Gotham.
Today/tomorrow we are planning to release new OTA for WeTek Core where we add support for booting menu (Internal Storage/microSD) for easy switching between Android and OpenELEC, and other changes.
  • 96(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4