• 104(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
(2016-02-26, 15:50)droidelec Wrote: Yes, it is just fork or mod of Kodi Jarvis. To comply with all rules we changed logo, name and some other things.

should we use the inbuilt one now? as im still using the wetek modified one posted couple of weeks back..
any differences?
It's been updated to Jarvis and usually using the latest available (stable) build is a good habit.

You can backup/restore your settings when moving from one to the other using an addon if I'm not wrong or you can do from telnet
Code:
cd /sdcard/Android/data
cp -r org.xbmc.kodi com.wetek.mediaplayer
cd com.wetek.mediaplayer/files
mv .kodi .mediaplayer
Hello guys, here's a shout for anyone that wants to try a new feature that could be very cool Smile I might have found a way for having a global refresh rate (as long as the VPU is playing the video) that will work with every app that makes use of HW decoded video.

Now the "Automatic refresh rate" settings toggle will turn on or off this feature (after a factory reset it defaults to be off, when upgrading it depends on the setting you had before) but I have replaced "WeTek Refresh Rate" with "Display Refresh Rate" app that will allow to disable this new global refresh rate for the selected apps only because, for example, you might wanna use Kodi's.
Just make sure to not have both (in case of Kodi) refresh rate turned on.

As a bonus this rom also includes "amvideocap" (untested) and a "Simulated Wi-Fi" option (accessible in network settings) that will fake WiFi connectivity. I don't suggest to keep it on all the time but just turn it on if an app bothers you and works properly only under WiFi.

https://mega.nz/#!QkpT1ASb!f3cG8Vmd3cDqr...NvCcVmGA0o

Some feedback is welcome, for me works good, for wrxtasy and my colleagues at the office also but I'd rather try it on a bigger scale before going public with it
Yes it works nicely indeed !

Especially for Netflix to dynamically switch between 23.976/25/50fps and sync seamlessly just like Kodi itself has done for a while now Smile

I use the Android Display Refesh Rate (Disable) App and select Kodi only, and then configure Kodi to use its normal Dynamic Refresh Switching in the usual Video Playback Settings.
If I do not I have found changing mpeg2 TV channels is slower, as resyncing occurs on every channel change.

This new cool feature is Android OS Global Dynamic Refresh Switcher, does not mater which Video Playback App you are using.
Its all good.

So, disable the old refresh rate switcher app, and use this w/only Kodi deselected, and rest (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc.) all selected?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
My setup:
Android Settings > Display > Automatic refresh rate > On

The 24p refresh Switcher disappeared for me with this Firmware upgrade, then....

(New) Display Refresh Rate (Disable) App > select Kodi only.

And your done !

(2016-02-29, 17:11)ChristianTroy Wrote: Hello guys, here's a shout for anyone that wants to try a new feature that could be very cool Smile I might have found a way for having a global refresh rate (as long as the VPU is playing the video) that will work with every app that makes use of HW decoded video.

Now the "Automatic refresh rate" settings toggle will turn on or off this feature (after a factory reset it defaults to be off, when upgrading it depends on the setting you had before) but I have replaced "WeTek Refresh Rate" with "Display Refresh Rate" app that will allow to disable this new global refresh rate for the selected apps only because, for example, you might wanna use Kodi's.
Just make sure to not have both (in case of Kodi) refresh rate turned on.

As a bonus this rom also includes "amvideocap" (untested) and a "Simulated Wi-Fi" option (accessible in network settings) that will fake WiFi connectivity. I don't suggest to keep it on all the time but just turn it on if an app bothers you and works properly only under WiFi.

https://mega.nz/#!QkpT1ASb!f3cG8Vmd3cDqr...NvCcVmGA0o

Some feedback is welcome, for me works good, for wrxtasy and my colleagues at the office also but I'd rather try it on a bigger scale before going public with it

Thanks CT! This update works a treat!
(2016-02-29, 17:11)ChristianTroy Wrote: I might have found a way for having a global refresh rate (as long as the VPU is playing the video) that will work with every app that makes use of HW decoded video.
Does this apply on DRM protected buffer, SurfaceView etc.?
Everything, wesk05 it operates at a Kernel Level regardless of the App used. DRM Apps included, anything that outputs hardware decoded video.

(2016-03-01, 06:42)wrxtasy Wrote: Everything, wesk05 it operates at a Kernel Level regardless of the App used. DRM Apps included, anything that outputs hardware decoded video.
Interesting... I am not a coder and have limited knowledge of Android, but I always thought that DRM protected buffer is accessible only from the calling app. It is sent from the decoder via the protected path to an overlay plane on the hw composer. May be I got it all wrong.
@wesk
every decoder in amports (that is where every HW decoded video is processed) has a reference to the duration of the frame and can be used for getting the fps value of the movie. This will not work with VFR HEVC files (as Kodi does not) because you end up with "non standard" durations so you can't estimate what to switch if a frame is, let's say, 24.08546754135 fps.
Is there any legitimate reason why someone would want to encode HEVC with a Variable Frame Rate in the first place if its causing a bunch of problems ?

It cannot be for any requirement for file sizes as HEVC encoding nice and efficient as it is.
Handbrake stupidly has HEVC encoding set as a Variable Frame Rate by default.

Also the HEVC sample files you can get from Elecard's website are all VFR :S
(2016-03-01, 08:27)wrxtasy Wrote: Is there any legitimate reason why someone would want to encode HEVC with a Variable Frame Rate in the first place if its causing a bunch of problems ?

It cannot be for any requirement for file sizes as HEVC encoding nice and efficient as it is.
Handbrake stupidly has HEVC encoding set as a Variable Frame Rate by default.

Doesn't it offer encoding efficiencies? Isn't it likely to be used for the same reason that we use dynamic GOP-by-GOP 25p/50i mode-switching on our H264 encoders on DVB-T2 in the UK?

If you have a broadcast stream you are going to be receiving a mix of 'native' frame rates (though the stream to the encoder will be fixed at a single frame rate usually it will have sources of differing rates). In Europe drama will be shot 25p, news, sport and entertainment will be shot 50p (or higher, as 100p is potentially coming). Surely you would want to encode efficiently, so the encoder should detect the 25p-ness of the input source and switch to 25p encoding (halving the number of frames encoded), but when it sees it is being fed 50p (or higher) it would switch to 50p encoding. This may not even be on a show-by-show basis. It could be within a show (50p studio interview with a 25p 'film' clip dropped into it?)

In the US you have an even more complex case of 24p, 29.97p and 59.94p (and probably 119.88p if HFR happens - which is possible) input frame rates - but the final stream could be delivered to the encoder at 59.94/119.88? Lots of efficiencies if you can detect the various source frame rates at the encoder level and avoid coding repeated frames. (Actually I think the Japanese are really pushing for 30.00, 60.00 and 120.00 frame rates - as they tried and failed to do with their original HDTV standard that was tweaked to become 1080/59.94i)

Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick - I think VFR is likely to be pretty important in broadcast implementations of HEVC. Which are likely to be the first 'open' sources of content we have? (I've already got HEVC 2160/59.94p recordings of the 2014 World Cup I made off-air from the BBC DVB-T2 tests here... Am hoping an ODroid C2 will play them :-) )
@noggin
but then how will you detect the correct frame rate? Just sniffing the metadata of the container hoping they are correct Smile
this is Kodi with one of those hevc from Elecard website:

Quote:V/Kodi ( 1373): Debug Print: int CDVDPlayerVideo::OutputPicture(const DVDVideoPicture*, double) - change configuration. 1920x1080. framerate: 24.08. format: BYPASS
V/Kodi ( 1373): Debug Print: Resolution 1920x1080 @ 24.00 - Full Screen (26) not a very good match for fps 24.083 (weight: 0.003), trying 2:3 cadence
V/Kodi ( 1373): Debug Print: Resolution 1920x1080 @ 60.00 - Full Screen (22) not a very good match for fps 24.083 with 2:3 cadence (weight: 0.003), choosing 60 hertz
V/Kodi ( 1373): Debug Print: Display resolution ADJUST : 1920x1080 @ 60.00 - Full Screen (22) (weight: 0.246)
  • 104(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4