• 2(current)
Amazon Fire TV 2 (4K)
(2015-09-17, 16:56)wrxtasy Wrote: Why should a Kodi user support Amazon, when they have a walled garden approach and definitely do not support Open Source software like Kodi ?

The only reason I do is that the box provides the best integration with the one killer app: Netflix.

Netflix provides maybe half of what my family watches, so I want a really clean integration between it and Kodi. For the price, I haven't found anything close to the Fire TV.

If I did find something, I would likely jump ship. It's a pretty good box for the price, but the issues mentioned keep me from using it anywhere other than the family room for casual viewing.
(2015-09-17, 17:09)hdmkv Wrote: Looks like only 30fps 4K? Confusing, as it also says "Provides uncompromised user experience for WQXGA display at 60fps".

One interesting bit I noticed in Amazon's specs are "HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1" and "Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC)". Wondering if HD audio support is a possibility.
Sweet! Hope we get more info on this.

(2015-09-17, 17:32)GoodCode Wrote:
(2015-09-17, 16:56)wrxtasy Wrote: Why should a Kodi user support Amazon, when they have a walled garden approach and definitely do not support Open Source software like Kodi ?

The only reason I do is that the box provides the best integration with the one killer app: Netflix.

Netflix provides maybe half of what my family watches, so I want a really clean integration between it and Kodi. For the price, I haven't found anything close to the Fire TV.

If I did find something, I would likely jump ship. It's a pretty good box for the price, but the issues mentioned keep me from using it anywhere other than the family room for casual viewing.

Google Nexus Player is running at about $70 USD and was as low as $50 USD at one point recently, and that has 1080 Netflix with a nice remote-friendly interface.
(2015-09-17, 18:45)Ned Scott Wrote:

Google Nexus Player is running at about $70 USD and was as low as $50 USD at one point recently, and that has 1080 Netflix with a nice remote-friendly interface.

But if you've got an Amazon Prime account, it's hard to ignore those pieces, (Prime video, music and photo storage). Add to that the Alexa integration to universal search the various video apps, (Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO GO, Showtime, etc.) as well as do what Alexa does on it's own, and it's pretty compelling to go with the new FTV over a Nexus Player.
Current equipment in my "Kodi system", v17.1:
HTPC Win 10, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvida GTX 970, 500GB SSD
Nvidia Shield TV 16GB w/ Flirc and 64GB microSD card
1st gen Fire TV Stick, (for traveling)
Qnap 431+ NAS w/ 9TB
HDHomeRun Plus/Extend
Old DTV remotes, Yatse app and Logitech Harmony Smart Control
+1... if you're invested in Prime, Fire TV is almost a no brainer for the price.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I'm more interested in the new Stick.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZVJAF9G/ref=ods_fs_ftvsv

I already have a SATV, and I'm not so invested in the Amazon "eco-system" that I need to replace my old AFTV. But having the new, faster Stick as a secondary device would be nice.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hmm, I think it's the same Stick, but with software upgrade to FireTV OS 5 and Alexa.
My HT
Yep, I think you're right.

I thought they had updated the SoC in it also, but looks like they skipped that and just updated the OS.

So they [Amazon] need to get rid of the "New" in front of the stick.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
They do, it's misleading.
My HT
It's also not fully 4k as specs tell otherwise for the box.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Only 4K video playback, not the UI. Cost-cutting tactic apparently to keep cost at $100.
My HT
Here's the specs comparison chart.

4k@30Hz... canceling my order, what a waste...
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Still better than a ATV4 :p
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

My solution to this was a Chromecast which I like a lot more than the Fire Tv family, for one crucial reason - Chromecast. Being able to add/control videos from any computer/smartphone is so much more convenient than using the remote and gui on the tv. IMO if Amazon added this it'd be perfect.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV 2 (4K)1