• 5(current)
Amazon Fire TV 2 (4K)
I'm reading on some forums/sites that the MediaTek Quad-core chip in FTV2 may be inferior to the Qualcomm Krait quad-core in FTV1? Anyone know of MediaTek performance in other devices?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-09-19, 07:23)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-09-18, 17:34)GoodCode Wrote: And no wired connection.

Which is fixed with a $10 connector. $15 if you also want a hybrid USB hub with an ethernet port. The total price is still great.

However, there are rumors that a new Nexus Player will come out soon, by the end of the month.

Oh! I didn't realize there were working USB ethernet adapters for it...when I saw the original specs, I noticed it was wireless only and disregarded it immediately. I haven't looked at it since...

Personally, I'm going to wait to see if a new Nexus player is announced (likely on Sept 29), and what happens with the Wetek Core 4K. I really like the FireTV, but unless you need Prime integration, I think there are better options.
(2015-09-21, 13:14)hdmkv Wrote: I'm reading on some forums/sites that the MediaTek Quad-core chip in FTV2 may be inferior to the Qualcomm Krait quad-core in FTV1? Anyone know of MediaTek performance in other devices?
To answer my own question...

My HT
Is anyone worried that the new box and stick wont work for KODI ? Look what happened after AppleTV 2
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
(2015-09-22, 15:38)Rickt1962 Wrote: Is anyone worried that the new box and stick wont work for KODI ? Look what happened after AppleTV 2

Apple TV didn't have an App store or Third Party App infrastructure though...
Suppose Amazon could block sideloading, but wouldn't that cause headaches for their app/game developers as well? Think them removing Kodi from their app store may placate Hollywood studios well enough.
My HT
Just as a reference, if Amazon Instant video is "holding" you back from grabbing a cheap Nexus TV, you can get Amazon Instant sideloaded on the Nexus TV...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-pl...k-t3107309

I've had the chance to play with both, and have thrown a Fire TV Stick and Nexus TV at my non-techie parents. They recently turned into cord cutters (Sling + Netflix), so I'm in the process of slowly pushing more tech related stuff on them piece by piece. They have a pretty big DVD collection, so that's the next project (backing up / streaming).

The Nexus TV is generally pretty solid. Its going to get some 'kodi'fication soon (thank god for that usb to ethernet adapter).
Current: Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen)
Retired: Asus M004u Chromebox - LibreELEC 7.0.1 | Raspberry Pi 2 - OpenELEC 6.0.3 | Apple TV w/ BCM70015 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 | Raspberry Pi - Model B - OpenElec Kodi 15
Looks like installing Kodi to FTV got much easier.
My HT
That's what I've been using since, well forever. Wink

But I use the address: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Can someone please outline what is missing from FireTV2 to use it instead of a Chromebox for Kodi?
No web browser.
(2015-09-30, 17:17)igjunk Wrote: Can someone please outline what is missing from FireTV2 to use it instead of a Chromebox for Kodi?

- 23.976 (24p) / 59.94Hz video output for perfect video Sync. Especially important if you hate movie 23.976fps movies played at 60Hz that results in 3:2 pulldown judder when a video camera pans about in a scene.

- Kodi Auto Dynamic Refresh rate switching of the TV's refresh rate based on the fps of the video source material to allow for perfect 24p video sync

- HD Audio Passthrough

- Poor Deinterlacing for Live TV if you want to use it as a PVR Client. The Fire TV1 cannot have Hardware acceleration enabled if you need to deinterlace 1080i material. This may have improved a little as there is a faster CPU/GPU in the Fire TV2 vs the FireTV1.

- Closed secured Firmware, you are at the mercy of Amazon to allow anything to be even dl. / sideloaded.

It's really is only a 4K Ultra HD paid streaming box that just happens to run Kodi OK but with a bunch of desirable Kodi features missing.
The NVIDIA Shield is far better Kodi / Android value now the Firmware 2.0 update is out, even if it costs twice the price.

(2015-09-30, 18:00)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-09-30, 17:17)igjunk Wrote: Can someone please outline what is missing from FireTV2 to use it instead of a Chromebox for Kodi?

- 23.976 (24p) / 59.94Hz video output for perfect video Sync. Especially important if you hate movie 23.976fps movies played at 60Hz that results in 3:2 pulldown judder when a video camera pans about in a scene.

- Kodi Auto Dynamic Refresh rate switching of the TV's refresh rate based on the fps of the video source material to allow for perfect 24p video sync

- HD Audio Passthrough

- Poor Deinterlacing for Live TV if you want to use it as a PVR Client. The Fire TV1 cannot have Hardware acceleration enabled if you need to deinterlace 1080i material. This may have improved a little as there is a faster CPU/GPU in the Fire TV2 vs the FireTV1.

- Closed secured Firmware, you are at the mercy of Amazon to allow anything to be even dl. / sideloaded.

It's really is only a 4K Ultra HD paid streaming box that just happens to run Kodi OK but with a bunch of desirable Kodi features missing.
The NVIDIA Shield is far better Kodi / Android value now the Firmware 2.0 update is out, even if it costs twice the price.

May be a silly que- I have intel i3 processor with HD4000 graphics card supporting directx 11 (currently on kodi 16) running windows 10, how do I ensure my kodi videos are played at 23.976 (24p) / 59.94Hz and not at 60Hz. under my graphics card properties do I need to change the frequency to something, currently it is at 60HZ. My TV is Panasonic Plasma VT60 which supports 23.976 (24p).
thanks
Sync Playback to Display > On Start/Stop

http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos#Playback

Thanks, beside using this option do I need to alter my display settings on TV to have it on 24HZ?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV 2 (4K)1