Follow up to PR8069 - Adding music to the library
(2015-09-24, 14:00)evilhamster Wrote: Just read http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238307 doesn't that look like a really nice long term plan?

Yes it is, but things like that require massive reworks to the code so aren't likely to happen any time soon. We want some practical measures that are achievable in the short term to be able to more quickly deliver a better experience to users, however these can also act as baby steps towards those long term ambitions. Some of this stuff will only come to fruition if it's broken up into manageable chunks in my view.
(2015-09-24, 14:25)evilhamster Wrote: Would be interesting if we could get any data of the most used scrapers and their settings, Tolriq is this some data you have access to?

AFAIK there's no way to get that information remotely Sad
(2015-09-24, 14:25)evilhamster Wrote:
(2015-09-23, 17:27)Razze Wrote:
(2015-09-23, 15:47)evilhamster Wrote: If for example the settings for a scraper was not global but set on each place it was supposed to be used, a scraper could have settings for which data source to use for artist / album / song.

I think we do this already. Options you change on a scraper are saved to that scraper/path only. Check the 'content' table (referring from memory might be wrong) there should be a settings column storing xml or something along the lines. Thats actually in the PR, but we need the merged scrapers to move on if you ask me.

You are correct, I missed this! Do you know if any work has been done on merging the scrapers?

Well, I tried to start off with it, but scrapers are so (unneededly) complicated. Really hoping for a complete rework of that part in the future.
Haven't really achieved anything there.
(2015-09-25, 09:59)Tolriq Wrote:
(2015-09-24, 14:25)evilhamster Wrote: Would be interesting if we could get any data of the most used scrapers and their settings, Tolriq is this some data you have access to?

AFAIK there's no way to get that information remotely Sad

I run TheAudioDB.com site so have a little insight

The most popular scraper is the universal audio scraper
TheAudioDB scraper is also popular (its multi language)

Regarding the universal scraper:
Fanart.tv is the main source for artwork
TADB is the main source for music metadata (about 400,000 hits a month)
Last.fm isnt used so much any more as they stopped their image API
Allmusic is still around, but not sure the status. They also have annoying Moods and Styles data which isnt unique.
Lots of good points have come up in this thread, I hope we don't lose sight of them Smile

We have long term aims to
a) have a single source selection procedure for all media
b) improve scraping (in all manner of ways, without losing flexibity).

But we also have, maybe more immediate, aims to

c) improve the work flow by moving music album and artist scraper selection nearer the file listing (rather than off in settings menu)
d) encourage users to create a music library (lots of them don't bother).

I wonder if we can concentrate on c) and d) for this PR, and make an improvement in the shorter term than a) and b) will take? But, as Tolriq wisely pointed out, we need to get any changes we make right first time or we will alienate users from using the library (and all the enriched experiences they could have) even more.
Just trying to keep discussions connected to related changes, for any subscribers. There is now PR8395 raised to just add a dialog box that comes up after a music source is added prompting the user to populate the library with these files. At the moment the library is well hidden - users have to choose "scan to library" from the folder context menu to get anything in there, so this simple change is certainly a move in the right direction without being prescriptive.

Edit: this will go into Jarvis providing it tests OK on all platforms
(2015-11-16, 19:52)DaveBlake Wrote: Just trying to keep discussions connected to related changes, for any subscribers. There is now PR8395 raised to just add a dialog box that comes up after a music source is added prompting the user to populate the library with these files. At the moment the library is well hidden - users have to choose "scan to library" from the folder context menu to get anything in there, so this simple change is certainly a move in the right direction without being prescriptive.

Edit: this will go into Jarvis providing it tests OK on all platforms

IMO this has been needed for a while.

scott s.
(2015-11-19, 01:05)scott967 Wrote: IMO this has been needed for a while.

Yes, a small change but I feel it is a significant step forward, thanks Razzee.
PR8395 has now been merged, users will be prompted to add their files to the library. Yet to see how many tagging issues will arise if more users start using the library. Smile

Scott your other post has been split off into another thread of its own here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=248791
There is also a general discussion about music scraping and NFO use here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=248430

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Follow up to PR8069 - Adding music to the library0