Windows Network SMB list is empty.
Mapping drive letters is a hack round it. Same as setting fixed IP Addresses on the PC and always using \\IP Address\ to talk to the machines. They work, but don't solve the core issue.

SMB is such an odd beast. Any time I try and help on this forum to actually solve a problem, too many people want to go into ostrich mode. This is why the problem keeps going on. Hack on top of hack on top of hack leads to a hacky mess. Even my attempt at helping the wiki with a better guide I was drown out by Linux users burbling on about Homegroup settings instead of fixing the real SMB settings in Windows.

I'll leave it up to Monkey Butler as what he would like to do. Some of us have been working with SMB for a couple of decades. As with anything, it is knowing which rules to follow. Which manuals to believe. Smile
hehe yeah true if the problem never gets fixed it will always be around i see your logic, i personally never have these problems but am used to setting up networks so i guess for someone just dabling its gona be a bit of a problem, i agree the ideal solution is to fix it 100% so kodi can connect to the given smb share but how one gets there with limited knowlege is the problem; hence why i suggest the easy option. I often think its multiple PC's with differing settings that causes these problems but not in every case hehe so its a catch 22. I actually find smb in linux very easy to control more so than windows as i like getting my hands dirty and editing files but not everyone is up for that! Smile
It's *nix - so you edit files. Not all *nix users know what they are doing though. Big Grin Some of the "advice" I have seen is a little scary at times. Even looking at smb.conf via Google it is clear much of it is cut and paste hacky advice. Makes me laugh that no one likes to read manuals any more. So the Google Blog advice starts to drown out the real solutions.

My job has lead me to find solutions that work in all Windows setups. Just by following a few rules. (Mainly simple things like always using password with accounts). It also means learning some of the GUI and tricks to pull in them. Okay - I have not tried to get Win9x to talk to Win10 yet! Just about everything else though.

Though I am one of those weirdos who is just as happy with a Linux system. Never understood why one OS has to be better than another. They can be all made to work together. Anyway, enough chat. I'll let Monkey Butler and continue if he wants to. Getting to the bottom of this will help the community out. And I love a good puzzle.

Or he can just map the drive letters. If it works - it is a fix. Big Grin

Right - this PC is off. I'm gonna enjoy some video.
Good afternoon all........a combination of Google searching and desperation has led me here! Sounds like I have a similar problem to the one described above.....

For years I've use a Seagate Central NAS drive to host media and shared it to three Fire Sticks with Kodi installed and an Acer Revo running Kodibuntu. Everything worked fine.

I recently moved from the UK to the US and set my network up as soon as I got some internet installed and again, everything was fine.

A couple of months ago the Fire Sticks and the Revo stopped being able to play any media. Deleting the share and attempting to recreate it made me realise that it wasn't possible to see anything on the NAS using SMB (uPnP works but for some reason Kodi doesn't seem to be able to set the library up properly this way?). NFS can't see anything on the NAS. The Fire Sticks are obviously wireless, but I've tried the Revo wireless and with ethernet and had the same error.

Just like the other person further up the thread, I am still able to access the NAS on any PCs/laptops/smart TVs connected to the network (both wired and wireless), so the NAS is obviously ok.

I'll try turning everything off and leaving it off for a good while when I go to work tomorrow (there would be a riot if I turn the internet off while the kids are at home today!) but if that doesn't fix everything then I've a bit confused as to next steps.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated, thank you!
Hello

Has this been solved?

I am having the same issue, lately I wanted to add a folder to be shared via Windows Shares (SMB) but nothing shows up now .. no folders no files.

The previously shared files thru SMB are still showing up and files can be accessed and updated, no issues at all. Yet I cannot add any new folder now.

In Windows 10, I have noticed that the guest icon in the share option under folder properties is greyed out, is that the issue??

I am using the latest LibreElec on RPi-3
(2017-12-08, 16:05)htcguy Wrote: Has this been solved?

Well done for necro-ing an ancient and unrelated thread.

(2017-12-08, 16:05)htcguy Wrote: I am using the latest LibreElec on RPi-3

Read the Samba section in the LibreELEC announcement post - network browsing is no longer supported.

(2017-12-08, 16:05)htcguy Wrote: In Windows 10, I have noticed that the guest icon in the share option under folder properties is greyed out, is that the issue??
No, that's just one of the changes Microsoft have recently implemented to shore up the security nightmare that is SMB - anonymous access to shares is no longer supported by Microsoft (in new installs) so you should be using a machine account username/password to restrict access to your shares. Kodi will then prompt you for the username/password when you access the share (which you can save, in passwords.xml, to avoid re-typing the details).

Network browsing is broken because it depends on SMB1 and Microsoft are now disabling SMB1 in new installs by default, after recommending that everyone disables SMB1 for the last few years.

All explained in the announcement post.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Network SMB list is empty.0