Music video library in Kodi?
I just began using it for movies a little last year when it was still XBMC, but have put off updating until now..Soon I'll be trying to set up my movie collection, but now have a fairly decent sized music video library in .mp4 format that I ripped from Youtube...

Is there support for music videos in Kodi,? or some kind of plug-in /interface similar to the On Demand music video TV channels , something that could use screencaps for artwork of each video & list all info such as artist, album, year, etc when selecting them?...and where lists of files could be seperated by genre while navigating? Really looking for something like this and would be cool to use Kodi for it if possible

Also, can anyone recommend a program to tag music videos easily? Media Monkey is great for music, but it's driving me crazy for music videos, keeps making "unknown" folders even though I have artist fields filled in & have been using the organize file option accordingly...

Thanks in advance
It's a video type that you scan into the library: Adding videos to the library (wiki).

When you "set content" you just tell it that it is a music video. As long as they're named "artist - song.ext" then it should work. Music videos are in the video library, but there is also a short cut to them in the music library.
You'll also need to create .NFO files describing files, cause available scrapers probably won't find your music videos.
That depends on the particular video. Official music videos will most likely be found by the scraper. Custom or live videos will most likely not be found or be associated with the wrong "album". To group live or custom videos into one album "Live at whatever stadium" you will indeed have to use nfo files, because these were not officially released as an album.

One best practice advice. It's best if you start playback of music videos from the music library and not from the video library. This way you can mix normal music tracks to the playlist. There are also some cool music video addons, which you might want to check out.
Actually if you're trying it out now, it won't work at all. The website theaudiodb, that's used for scraping, has disabled the API for the time being.

See http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2116804

While this is the case, apart from using nfo files you won't be able to add music videos to your library. Music videos cannot be added to the music library without scraping (or nfo files).

And you said tagging in your first post. Tags included in the file (in mp4 files for example) are not read by kodi at all for videos.
(2015-09-27, 15:45)DarkHelmet Wrote: Actually if you're trying it out now, it won't work at all. The website theaudiodb, that's used for scraping, has disabled the API for the time being.

See http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2116804

While this is the case, apart from using nfo files you won't be able to add music videos to your library. Music videos cannot be added to the music library without scraping (or nfo files).

And you said tagging in your first post. Tags included in the file (in mp4 files for example) are not read by kodi at all for videos.

Ok, when I am ready I will have to read up on how to add the videos & create NFOs, but you're saying the tags won't show up?? I've always assumed I'd have to manually enter all info for each music video & wasn't planning on using scrapers..Will this still be possible? I would think there'd be a way to have artist/song title/year/genre/art & hopefully rating show up in Kodi when browsing through my music video library.
https://picard.musicbrainz.org

There is a plugin for video. May help your cause.
I really have no idea what I am talking about. Proceed with caution. I confuse easily. And drink. A lot.
(2015-09-29, 01:12)Redwingsfansfc Wrote: https://picard.musicbrainz.org

There is a plugin for video. May help your cause.

Thanks..can't get that to do anything with video though, even with the plugin...&think from what I saw on the site, it said plugin was only able to rename video files, not tag...I've tried another app just now & tried Media Monkey a different way this time & still no luck, I just cant understand why it appears to tag artist, title, year, genre, but the moment you click on another folder & go back all that info is gone & all you see is the file name....ready to pull my hair out over here!Angry
I have all my music video tagged using MediaMonkey. I'm not sure what problem you are having there, best ask on the MM forums.

I find that Kodi will find an embedded cover image in mp4 during music video scan and will use that as the thumb. Otherwise it uses a frame capture from the vid.

Since MediaMonkey works for me, I have a script that extracts the tags and creates an nfo file from them.

As it turns out, you can call your music video content "music" in Kodi and it will scan the mp4 file tags. That's unsupported "feature" though.

For some reason it does make a difference if you view your music video from the music library nodes vice the video library nodes. In either case you can create an artist view. The artist art (thumb/fanart) comes from the music library so only exists if you have that artist in the music library. There is also an album view, but no art is available.

When you look at music video titles/tracks, there is a thumb/poster/fanart available that works like other video types.

You can play music video playlists in "party mode".

scott s.
(2015-09-29, 04:41)scott967 Wrote: I have all my music video tagged using MediaMonkey. I'm not sure what problem you are having there, best ask on the MM forums.

I find that Kodi will find an embedded cover image in mp4 during music video scan and will use that as the thumb. Otherwise it uses a frame capture from the vid.

Since MediaMonkey works for me, I have a script that extracts the tags and creates an nfo file from them.

As it turns out, you can call your music video content "music" in Kodi and it will scan the mp4 file tags. That's unsupported "feature" though.

For some reason it does make a difference if you view your music video from the music library nodes vice the video library nodes. In either case you can create an artist view. The artist art (thumb/fanart) comes from the music library so only exists if you have that artist in the music library. There is also an album view, but no art is available.

When you look at music video titles/tracks, there is a thumb/poster/fanart available that works like other video types.

scott s.

I just don't understand, besides MM, tried 4 other programs that claim to tag mp4s & none worked, most gave a "cannot open file" or "unable to write" error...

Will I be able to fill in all the fields manually like I want for them once I add them to Kodi & choose the option to have screenshots used for art ? Within the progam itself or in Ember Media Manager I think it was that I was able to correct wrong fields with for my movies last year
(2015-09-29, 23:40)stevaside Wrote:
(2015-09-29, 04:41)scott967 Wrote: I have all my music video tagged using MediaMonkey. I'm not sure what problem you are having there, best ask on the MM forums.

scott s.

I just don't understand, besides MM, tried 4 other programs that claim to tag mp4s & none worked, most gave a "cannot open file" or "unable to write" error...

Will I be able to fill in all the fields manually like I want for them once I add them to Kodi & choose the option to have screenshots used for art ? Within the progam itself or in Ember Media Manager I think it was that I was able to correct wrong fields with for my movies last year

Sounds like a problem on your file read/write permissions. But at least in MM, it keeps its own database so you can turn off tag reading and/or writing and just build the internal database, which becomes the basis for extracting nfo file data.

scott s.
(2015-09-30, 23:35)scott967 Wrote:
(2015-09-29, 23:40)stevaside Wrote:

scott s.

Sounds like a problem on your file read/write permissions. But at least in MM, it keeps its own database so you can turn off tag reading and/or writing and just build the internal database, which becomes the basis for extracting nfo file data.

scott s.

Yea I was thinking that..I right clicked on folder & unchecked the read only option, but still no luck...any ideas??
That's all irrelevant, because Kodi only uses the file name for music videos. It does not use any internal tags.
I think the point is that if you have good tags in mp4 music video, you can use 3rd party tool to create nfo files for Kodi.

scott s.
Hi steva

Ive setup a much simplier solution for my music videos no need for scraping. Heres how it looks

Browsing Artists

When you click on artist shows music videos

First create a folder for each artist and place the music videos inside them.

Inside each artist folder. Find an image for the artist poster and rename it folder.jpg

Kodi will create a snapshot of the video file at a particular point. But sometimes it doesnt get a good shot so if u want a custom image for each of your music video then save the image the same as the music video name adding -poster at the end. e.g if the music video is called ROCK SHOW.mp4 then save the image as ROCK SHOW-poster.jpg. Make sure image is saved in same location as music video.

It may be time consuming getting an image for each music video. But it looks well in the end.

To display background image of artist. Save image as fanart.jpg in artist folder. Search google images setting image size for 1920x1080 and you will find good artist backgrounds.

Then add the folder containing all your music videos into kodi selecting "music videos" as source. Select local files.

Thats it. If your looking to get the same look as above i suggest using the Aeon Mq5 mod by scott s. Heres forum link 221151 (thread)

I also suggest getting familar with the amazing Texture cache maintenance utility by millhouse, because once you browse through the music video library the images will be cached so if u want to make a change on an image you will first have to remove it from the cache before it picks up the new image.

To recap in each artist folder. you should have images such as folder.jpg, fanart.jpg, musicvideoname-poster for each music video

i hope that will get you started, and sure let me know if your having trouble in any part of it ill be glad to help Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music video library in Kodi?0