channel icons
Has anyone had any joy getting channel icons to display in Kodi?

I've set the folder location in the kodi TV EPG menu. but doesn't work. I suspect that the EPG data doesn't match any of the icon filenames but before experimenting more i wanted to see if anyone else had tried...
no-one?Sad
I am in the UK, and have a 3332, and it doesn't get really any EPG from Freesat. So have had to find out how to create my own XMLTV.xml from Atlas, and after a struggle to understand the concept, I have managed to start creating a EPG guide everyday, and it's around 42MB's in size

But when using the Vbox app in Kodi, real icons automatically start to show up, without needing to configure anything.

Although i do need to sort all my channels, and their order out. there are a few blanks for +1 channels, it does look really good, and works ok on a rasp_pi2.

I would recommend doing the XMLTV.xml, as it sorted a lot of problems out for me, and it can be used with the SimpleIPTV_PVR in Kodi

Just waiting for the 1.3.9 to hit the main releases, so that it stops Kodi crashing.
I also had the same issue that the Vbox doesn't get any EPG data from freesat - usually only the data for the current program.

I use xmltv from Atlas to get around this, and although it takes a fair bit of setting up initially, it works quite nicely and I have 2 weeks of EPG Data :-)

XMLTV has entries for around 90% of the freesat channels - though the ones it doesn't have entries for are quite obscure channels that I would never watch anyway.

Once you've setup XMLTV and have your .xml file, then you simply point to this file in the "EPG" section of the add-on settings and the rest should just work.

I did have a problem initially that the PVRManager would take about 5 minutes to startup when switching on kodi, because it couldn't download icons for the channels that aren't in the XMLTV file. My debug log was littered with several occurrences of the following errors:

ERROR: CCurlFile::Exists - Failed: Timeout was reached(28) for http://192.168.0.166:55555/images/tv_icon.jpg
and
ERROR: CCurlFile::Exists - Failed: Timeout was reached(28) for http://192.168.0.166:55555/images/radio_icon.jpg

It seems that kodi tries to establish several concurrent connections to port 55555 of the vbox to download this same icon (one for each channel not located in the XMLTV file). Since this is the channel icon URL that comes back from the vbox API (i.e. from http://192.168.0.166:80/cgi-bin/HttpCont...astChannel).

However, it seems the VBox PNP port only accepts a couple of concurrent connections at once, so the port soon becomes tied up. I found this easy to reproduce, and in the end I made a minor code change (basically so that it discards the icon from the vbox api) and then built my own version of the addon. Following this, my kodi now downloads the channel list on startup within a matter of seconds, rather than me waiting 5 minutes before I can actually watch TV :-)

Not sure if others have encountered this problem, but it seems easy to reproduce - just ensure you have some channels that aren't included in the XMLTV file, switch on debug logging, and start the PVRManager. I'm happy to share my code change or submit a pull request if anyone is interested.
Please submit a pull request. This is one of many random issues that are completely due to the VBox firmware and not the addon itself.
We know it a problem with the UK EPG, and isn't a problem with your app or Vbox.... if you live in the UK it's something you have to deal with.... I am so happy with you app. Please don't feel we are ungrateful.

thanks for all you have done... it's made vbox usable

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
channel icons0