Boxes that work?
I have been trying to find a new box to buy because as we all know the Apple TV 2 doesn't really work anymore, it just crashes, and lags.

There are so many options out there for boxes but I'm not extremely tech savvy and I've read a lot of bad reviews on some boxes. I've tried to research some of them but there is so much information that its just making my head spin. I've read stuff about bad firmware which I don't even understand what firmware is. I just want to buy a simple box that will work really well on my 4k Smart TV. I want high resolution, high quality and fast, no lagging, no crashing. I don't want to have to program something myself.

My Question:

Which boxes actually work without problems? Which boxes are the best? I just want a box not a computer setup.

List of Boxes:

MXQ
M8
M8S
MyGica
M3
TronSmart
Hyfai
ZoomTak
Asus Chromebox
Pivos
Minix Neo X
Minix X-8H Plus
Amazon Fire Box
Amazon Fire Stick
Matricom G Box Q
Element Ti4
MX3
Diaotec
Onvo
InstaBox Phantom MX4
WeTek 4k Core

Most of these I found on Kijiji or Google
Minix Neo X-8H Plus for all your requirements, but just be aware that playback, especially of live streams, is very much influenced by the strength/quality of the server and not the box and certainly not Kodi.
If you want a box has media player (not streamer) without Kodi, by my own experience the Mede8er.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

All I want it for is to run Kodi to watch movies on it through the add-ons.

I just want something that will run smooth, no lagging, no crashing.

I was going to get the Matricom G Box Q because it seemed like a powerhouse but then I read all the bad reviews because it has some firmware issues. I read most people just threw the box in the trash because it was useless.
(2015-10-04, 23:09)JNRW Wrote: Minix Neo X-8H Plus for all your requirements, but just be aware that playback, especially of live streams, is very much influenced by the strength/quality of the server and not the box and certainly not Kodi.

Do you have one? Does it ever lag or freeze?
(2015-10-05, 02:27)TorontoPaul Wrote:
(2015-10-04, 23:09)JNRW Wrote: Minix Neo X-8H Plus for all your requirements, but just be aware that playback, especially of live streams, is very much influenced by the strength/quality of the server and not the box and certainly not Kodi.

Do you have one? Does it ever lag or freeze?

I am borrowing a friend's this week to tweak and upgrade and put on new settings. I will let you know.

He chose that box after my recommendation, which I received from kind people on this forum.

My intention is to get back to them also after I have used it a bit and compared it to my own CS918ii RK3288 box, which is relatively cheap and cheerful.
(2015-10-05, 00:03)TorontoPaul Wrote: All I want it for is to run Kodi to watch movies on it through the add-ons.

Fastest and smoothest lag free Kodi boxes run a slimmed down version of Linux, like the lean and mean OpenELEC distribution of Kodi. AMLogic S802/805/812 devices running OpenELEC are quick and work well if you find a well supported version of OpenELEC.

Kodi boxes with SSD's running OpenELEC are extremely quick, like the Chromebox.

With cheap low cost devices running Android, you start with one hand tied behind your back from the very beginning.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=239749

(2015-10-05, 12:42)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-10-05, 00:03)TorontoPaul Wrote: All I want it for is to run Kodi to watch movies on it through the add-ons.

Fastest and smoothest lag free Kodi boxes run a slimmed down version of Linux, like the lean and mean OpenELEC distribution of Kodi. AMLogic S802/805/812 devices running OpenELEC are quick and work well if you find a well supported version of OpenELEC.

Kodi boxes with SSD's running OpenELEC are extremely quick, like the Chromebox.

With cheap low cost devices running Android, you start with one hand tied behind your back from the very beginning.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=239749

What about out of the ones i listed?

I see mygica is sold at bestbuy but that doesnt mean much i guess.

I see alot of peopke also using wetek tronsmart minix neo
I wanted to build a Kodi set top box to primarily watch full quality Blu Ray MKV rips with HD audio at 24 FPS. Mission accomplished with the ASUS Chromebox. Bought one for $169 at my local Micro-Center. Follow the guide posted in the Kodi Chromebox thread, it's quite simple...open it up, remove the write protect screw, boot it into developer mode, and download the script via 2 command lines. Had it up & running in 30 minutes. Runs OpenElec, totally transparent to the end user, all you see is Kodi. Reboots in 12 seconds. True HD & DTS-MA at flawless 24 fps. I added the AEON MQ5 skin, installed it from zip file/ USB thumb drive. Very stable, I've put it thru a dozen movies and 20 TV episodes without a hiccup. I stream everything from my Win7 PC via network shares over Ethernet. It plays the 4K Elysium trailer no problem. Now I have the best Kodi experience I've ever had, hands down, it's a beautiful thing in a tiny box. Highly recommended.

Kodi Chromebox EZ set up thread

The only drawback I can see from your perspective is I believe the HDMI output is only 1.4 which limits 4K material output to 30 FPS....but it does have a Display Port output which I think does 4K playback at 60 FPS.
(2015-10-05, 22:41)Karnis Wrote: I wanted to build a Kodi set top box to primarily watch full quality Blu Ray MKV rips with HD audio at 24 FPS. Mission accomplished with the ASUS Chromebox. Bought one for $169 at my local Micro-Center. Follow the guide posted in the Kodi Chromebox thread, it's quite simple...open it up, remove the write protect screw, boot it into developer mode, and download the script via 2 command lines. Had it up & running in 30 minutes. Runs OpenElec, totally transparent to the end user, all you see is Kodi. Reboots in 12 seconds. True HD & DTS-MA at flawless 24 fps. I added the AEON MQ5 skin, installed it from zip file/ USB thumb drive. Very stable, I've put it thru a dozen movies and 20 TV episodes without a hiccup. I stream everything from my Win7 PC via network shares over Ethernet. It plays the 4K Elysium trailer no problem. Now I have the best Kodi experience I've ever had, hands down, it's a beautiful thing in a tiny box. Highly recommended.

Kodi Chromebox EZ set up thread

The only drawback I can see from your perspective is I believe the HDMI output is only 1.4 which limits 4K material output to 30 FPS....but it does have a Display Port output which I think does 4K playback at 60 FPS.

I dont know what you just said. Im not computer technician.
If what you are looking for is a plug and play Kodi solution then get:

- MINIX X8-H Plus (no HD Netflix, max 720x480p resolution, reflash required to run OpenELEC)

- ASUS Chromebox, superior to all others for Kodi/Linux/OpenELEC use only. No Android Apps. If you can follow a few simple steps from the Chromebox setup thread you are good to go. Fantastic support here on the Kodi forums from Matt Devo aka Mr Chromebox. Some sort or IR receiver and remote control needed for Kodi unless you use a Smartphone / Tablet.

- Wetek 4K Core (Easy to Dual boot Android / OpenELEC plus HD Netflix all in the one device). Great support with quality Firmware and with Wetek being a Sponsor of Kodi/OpenELEC will ensure excellent integration.

- Amazon Fire TV2, is nicely integrated with its remote control and paid streaming Apps, but has limitations, See the link below.

Most people coming from an ATV2 used to get a Fire TV1 for the tight remote control integration, however now that Wetek have HD Netflix running on Android Lollipop it will likely have the edge (over the Fire TV2) due to superior Firmware and the ability also to run OpenELEC.

I would personally wait for the Wetek 4K Core if I needed Kodi and Android Apps and HD Netflix.

Don't get caught out buying cheap off the shelf Android junk with no after sales support and expect Kodi to perform well, see this thread for Brands you can trust:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2123495

I can see the OP's point of view well. The Chromebox setup might seem easy to a lot of us, but it is still daunting and a huge challenge to many, then you have the issues of finding a remote etc. Most people have no HD audio content that needs to be bitstreamed which is where Android has an issue. But there are solutions for that as well.

For many people an off the shelf box with preinstalled Kodi, remote and many other kind of apps is the perfect solution. Frankly it is rather amazing how lacking Android is when it comes to codec support.
Anyone else?

Is minix neo 8 x h plus in 1080p? I want minimum 1080 for kodi. I would like 4k as i have a new 4k smart tv
Thanks Wrxtasy
Just search for videos how to install Kodi on the Chromebox.

This is one but there are plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gQgSDdZuLY
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxes that work?0