Music/Video audio normalization option
(vaeanu @ jan. 25 2005,11:07 Wrote:normalization is bad (in eac, audiograbber...)! instead use mp3gain on your mp3, guys! it's lossless!
have you even read the posts in this thread - that's exactly what i'm asking for!

it's a shame a replaygain discussion was merged with a normalization topic, to be fair, since what i'm asking for is very, very different from on-the-fly normalization as mentioned in the thread title.
Quote:quote (vaeanu @ jan. 25 2005,11:07)
normalization is bad (in eac, audiograbber...)! instead use mp3gain on your mp3, guys! it's lossless!

have you even read the posts in this thread - that's exactly what i'm asking for!

it's a shame a replaygain discussion was merged with a normalization topic, to be fair, since what i'm asking for is very, very different from on-the-fly normalization as mentioned in the thread title.

if u use mp3gain, then u dont need replaygain support! as simple as that. replaygain is a tag only , mp3gain modifies (lossless) the mp3 according to a kinda replaygain data.

replaygain support would depend on mplayer anyway. is it implemented in there first?
(pike @ july 11 2004,23:54 Wrote:it's impossible to do in realtime, since we dont know the volume "ahead". but all is not lost, you can use a program called mp3gain to adjust it (windows software)
instead of do the first pass like classic normalisation process ( to found max value ), you could use as "peak value", the current max value found in mp3 ... and update this max value each time highter value is found ... :nuts:

not great during first seconds of movie, but (about) correct i think after some action scene ... Blush

nb: this can also be used to boost the sound on the fly ... Smile
(vaeanu @ jan. 26 2005,15:22 Wrote:normalization is bad (in eac, audiograbber...)! instead use mp3gain on your mp3, guys! it's lossless!
mp3gain writes its undo information to apev2 tags though, meaning anything that processes apev2 tags in preference to id3v2 (foobar2k is one, i'm sure there are more) will show the file as having no information, since it has an ape tag, but no displayable information in it.

hence the reason i would like support for foobar2k's way of doing it, if possible.
with 5.1 audio the spoken dialog is often only in the central channel and so is quiet when mixed with the other channels for stereo output.

i would like gain control for each of the channels in the myvideos settings... these gains would effect both the output to a digital receiver and to stereo output.

thanks!

edit: Huh i saw this thread when posting and dont consider mp3 normalizing to be the same as being able to adjust ac3 channels.
I would like to see some way of limiting volume for music and videos.
you could use the remote or the controller

what the hell do you mean?
I'm talking about an automatic volume limiter like Ipod has on their Ipods that sets the max limit. The remote or controller requires the user to manually adjust volume.
some televisions also allow an upper volume limit to be set. Then, when a loud commercial comes on, the user won't hear it any louder than what it is set at.
Basically, kind of like SMartsound on Magnavox tv's. Or Night theatre mode on Sony receivers, as well and 'Dynamic Sound Compression Level" on most receivers. It limits the max volume level, and boosts the volume level on low levels. So it stays mostly the same volume level. No LoUd surprises, yet also nothing soft enough to have to turn up the volume to hear. Works great.
Might be too much to add to XBMC.
XBMC already has dynamic range compression on the video OSD.

Combined with normal volume control to limit the maximum, I can't see what else you need.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hmm, I see the option in the Music settings for a limit but not in the Video settings. I'm using a XBMC December Pimped version.
I didn't either, i build xbmc daily.
Quote:dynamic range compression on the video OSD

It's on the audio settings tab of the video OSD - it's called "Volume Amplification", but does limit so it doesn't clip, and therefore does reduce the dynamic range. It used to be called "Dynamic Range Compression", but is not strict compression anymore (is a mixed mode thing that linearly amplifies at the bottom end, while softclipping at the top end).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

That sounds pretty cool. However, all I have under my Video settings is General, Player and Subtitles. I must be using a different version.

jmarshall Wrote:It's on the audio settings tab of the video OSD - it's called "Volume Amplification", but does limit so it doesn't clip, and therefore does reduce the dynamic range. It used to be called "Dynamic Range Compression", but is not strict compression anymore (is a mixed mode thing that linearly amplifies at the bottom end, while softclipping at the top end).

Cheers,
Jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music/Video audio normalization option0