• 7(current)
Should I configure Kodi with 2160p (4K) or 1080p resolution (upscaling)?
(2017-03-18, 17:25)fritsch Wrote: Open your own thread in android forum.

There is a complete pinned post about your S912.

Ok thanks I will hope I can find s912 post
Hi-newbie here...please be gentle (!). Ok...proud owner of new Samsung UHD tv-hdmi 3.0 COMPATIBLE (whatever that means lol!). Have 2 devices-fire stick 2015 & Schisson (??!!!)-think thats how it's spelt!) V88 4K Android box. Sky will shorttly be 20-25mpbs fibre-at mo only 6mpbs. I primarily stream (or will be) Amazon Prime/Netflix 4k & on the most part 'hope' to stream 4k files via Kodi-i run 16.1 (prefer at mo to new 17.1) (aware 4K files/You Tube stuff etc not native 4k but compressed to formats like h265). Specifications below for box.....

SCISHION V88 TV Box specifications:

CPU – Rockchip RK3229 quad core ARM Cortex A7 processor @1.5 GHz
GPU – ARM Mali-400MP
Memory – 1GB DDR3
Storage – 8GB NAND flash + SD card slot up to 16GB
Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K2K @60 fps, and 3.5mm AV output (composite)
Audio Output – HDMI, AV, and coaxial S/PDIF
Connectivity – 100Mbps Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi
USB – 4x USB 2.0 host ports
Interfaces – HDMI port, RJ45 port, SPDIF port, 4x USB Host, SD Card Slot, AV Out; DC jack.
Power Supply – 5V/2A
Dimensions – 11.60 x 11.60 x 2.50 cm
Weight – 145g

SCISHION V88 boxWhat we find in the box? The box included everything that you need to get started:

Do I follow the advice given in this thread by the experts early on (post 3 or 4 i think) & leave at 1080p with display or whatever post said (can't see old post on my mobile) altered to 4K? or given the specs on android box as above is advice any differentHuh??

Also...the android box ...a v88 quad core has the highest setting of 1080p at 60fps....am I missing something or is this due to incorrect HDMI cable-or again as per the experts answer earlier simply adjust the rate in KODI & TV will do the rest? Assume any 4K film(s) will probably be hevc/h265-so even if Kodi set at 1080p/60 fps experts answer still applies & wil stram in 4kHuh Bloody sky though not putting fibre live until 18/4!!!!

Also...dumb question but do I need to buy a 3.0 or 2.0 HDMI to connect box to TVHuh TV btw will play HEVC/H265 files. Also...anotherdumb question-assume 1080p fire stick WON'T output at 4K?. Any instructions if I could kindly ask the experts to do it in steps-i.e 'step 1)-go to settings, step 2)-adjust this figure etc etc that would be great. Fantastic forum BTW!
Sorry can't answer most of your questions as all my Kodi-running hardware is old and my TV is only 1080p. But maybe I can help with these:

(2017-04-06, 10:49)BRACHETTHECUB Wrote: Also...dumb question but do I need to buy a 3.0 or 2.0 HDMI to connect box to TVHuh TV btw will play HEVC/H265 files. Also...anotherdumb question-assume 1080p fire stick WON'T output at 4K?

An HDMI 2.0 cable will work fine. HDMI 3.0 doesn't exist yet. HDMI 2.1 was only just announced this January. http://www.hdmi.org

Correct. The Fire Stick will NOT output at 4k. 1080p output only.
(2015-10-06, 11:54)Nazgulled Wrote: Apologies if this is not in the correct forum but since this a support question and I'm using Linux, I couldn't find a better place for it.

I recently got a 4K TV and I'm wondering if I should set the resolution to 2160p or just leave it at 1080p. AFAIK, there are no skins whit 4K resources (yet), but that's not what concerns me (although it would be nice, but I understand it's a lot of hard work). No, my doubt comes from the upscaling work that needs to be done for 1080p video sources to fill the whole TV.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:
  • Configure Kodi to display at 2160p: Kodi will do all the upscaling work and the TV will simply display the 2160p signal it receives with no upscaling whatsoever.
  • Configure Kodi to display at 1080p: Kodi will do only upscaling from <1080p video sources and transmit a 1080p signal, the TV will upscale that signal to 2160p.

Per many reviews, my TV (Sony KD-65X850C) has very good upscaling algorithms. But are they better than what Kodi offers? Assuming the points above are correct, in your opinion, what would be the best option? Let Kodi do all the upscaling work or let the TV do it? If my assumptions are wrong, can you please clarify what will happen on each mode and what's the recommended setting for best image quality?
So this all suits me perfect. It seems like i cant even configure my kodi resolution on my sony 4k tv. My question is when i stream a 4k movie amd i seeing it in 4k or 1080p which is what it is set at?? Like sony told me whatever i watch on tv it auto 4k it. Nothing i have to do, with this kodi app tho am i watching what i believe im
watching atleast what the video specs are of video stream?
Run mediainfo on the file and past what it come back as
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2017-06-19, 03:56)Bjjshawn2012 Wrote: So this all suits me perfect. It seems like i cant even configure my kodi resolution on my sony 4k tv. My question is when i stream a 4k movie amd i seeing it in 4k or 1080p which is what it is set at?? Like sony told me whatever i watch on tv it auto 4k it. Nothing i have to do, with this kodi app tho am i watching what i believe im

Sony TV firmware is broken beyond repair. Nothing mentioned in that thread here will work there. The kodi android forum is full with ripped off users that invested in Sony TVs :-(
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-06-19, 12:42)fritsch Wrote:
(2017-06-19, 03:56)Bjjshawn2012 Wrote: So this all suits me perfect. It seems like i cant even configure my kodi resolution on my sony 4k tv. My question is when i stream a 4k movie amd i seeing it in 4k or 1080p which is what it is set at?? Like sony told me whatever i watch on tv it auto 4k it. Nothing i have to do, with this kodi app tho am i watching what i believe im

Sony TV firmware is broken beyond repair. Nothing mentioned in that thread here will work there. The kodi android forum is full with ripped off users that invested in Sony TVs :-(

What do you mean? I own. Xbr-900e and the TV is awesome.
(2015-10-06, 12:03)fritsch Wrote: Use Kodi @ 1080 - cause our gui scaler is just not good at all.

Then "Adjust Refreshrate to match video on start / stop" with a recent Jarvis Nightly Build. Then it will automatically switch up the resolution to 2160p whenever you watch something > 1080p.
Just curious: does the advice above still stand, or have things significantly improved in Kodi's GUI scaler in the two years since the post above?

I'm asking because I'm about to upgrade my nine year old plasma to a new 4k set. Big Grin
Advice still stands.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for your reply!
Hi @fritsch,
Just to be sure: if I want to see 2160p content on a 1080p capable TV - is Kodi providing adequate downsampling?
(2017-09-11, 16:19)willemd Wrote:
(2015-10-06, 12:03)fritsch Wrote: Use Kodi @ 1080 - cause our gui scaler is just not good at all.

What exactly is the problem running Kodi with higher resolution? On my Linux HTPC I have a GT1030 and run Kodi UI at [email protected] and it looks and runs perfect on 4K TV (recent Panasonic model).
Although the difference is minor, I believe it looks better than with 1080 and letting the TV do the upscaling.
Same for 1080p content. And of course 2160p. 

I'd say, give it a try.
GUI scalers are minor quality. Video scalers cost a lot of performance. A 1030 has enough ponies though doing lanczos3 for upscaling 1080p content.
(2017-10-13, 18:35)o_neill Wrote:
(2017-09-11, 16:19)willemd Wrote:

What exactly is the problem running Kodi with higher resolution? On my Linux HTPC I have a GT1030 and run Kodi UI at [email protected] and it looks and runs perfect on 4K TV (recent Panasonic model).
Although the difference is minor, I believe it looks better than with 1080 and letting the TV do the upscaling.
Same for 1080p content. And of course 2160p. 

I'd say, give it a try.

Hey man, 

I am also trying to run Kodi (Kodibuntu upgraded to Ubuntu 17.04 and Kodi 17.5) at 4K for the GUI. I posted my problem earlier regarding Xorg CPU usage. When switching from 1080p to 4K for the gui, I have my xorg process constantly at 40-50% cpu load which makes my fans quiet audible. do you have the same problem? I got a Nvidia 1050 GTX card with latest drivers and and an i3-3240T processor. At 1080p xorg is kinda idle, not really visible in "top". Do you have similiar cpu load for xorg at 4K?

thanks,

boba
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should I configure Kodi with 2160p (4K) or 1080p resolution (upscaling)?0