Kodibuntu freezes after a few minutes - NUC5I3RYH & Samsung 850 EVO 120 GB SSD
Hello,

I have installed Kodibuntu on an Intel NUC kit (NUC5I3RYH) with exactly the same settings as I had done previously on an old IBM Thinkpad T60 laptop with no problem at all (Kodi as an application that autostarts in Lubuntu LXDE). But this time, on the Intel NUC, after a week of usage, the computer freezes completely after a few minutes (nothing works: mouse, keyboard, other terminals (e.g. CTRL-ALT-F1), etc). It happens both in Kodi or on LXDE. I have no clue what to do despite my numerous researches.

My system is the following:

1. Hardware:
Barebone: Intel NUC kit - NUC5I3RYH (Intel Core i3-5010U 2.1 GHz ; Intel HD Graphics 5500 ; BIOS Version RYBDWi35.86A.0350.2015.0812.1722)
OS stored on: Samsung 850 EVO 120 GB M.2 Type M 2280 SSD
Media files stored on: Seagate Spinpoint M9T 2 TB HDD
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3L-1600 (PC3-12800) SODIMM 204 8 GB
Monitor: Acer X223W LCD
Connection to display: Hama HDMI to VGA/Jack 3.5 Adapter + VGA cable
Remote: Minix Neo A2 (via Wireless dongle)

2. Software:
Kodi version: 15.1
Mode: as an application
Skin: Titan 3.4.1

Intuitively, the only meaningful differences between my previous Kodibuntu Install (IBM Thinkpad T60) and this one (Intel NUC) potentially responsible I could find are the following (some of which I partially eliminated by installing and testing an other OS (Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf) on a USB flash drive). But no clue if my intuitions are correct as my searches on the wiki, forum and the rest of internet gave me nothing.

1. OS stored on an M.2 SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 120 GB M.2 Type M 2280 SSD)

2. Very recent and special hardware in regard of the old Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS on which Kodibuntu is based. I am thinking of the Intel NUC5I3RYH in general as it came out in Q1-2015 but especially of the Intel Core i3-5010U processor and the Intel HD Graphics 5500 graphic card that both came out in Q1-2015 too.
-> It seems partially corroborated by the fact that the Ubuntu 15.10 on the USB flash drive works without a glitch.

3. Complex connection from digital HDMI 1.4a to analog VGA monitor (Intel NUC mini-HDMI port -> mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter -> HDMI to VGA/Jack 3.5 adapter -> VGA cable -> Acer X223W LCD
-> difference partially eliminated as responsible because the Ubuntu 15.10 on the USB flash drive works like a charm ; but maybe it it works well because Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf is a very recent OS compared to Kodibuntu / Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS (possibility 3 in conjunction with possibility 2) ?

4. Frequent monitor changes: this NUC is moved around and gets connected to different monitors and TVs.
-> I hope to partially eliminate this difference as a potential cause in three days time when I will be able to submit the Ubuntu 15.10 on the USB flash drive to the same monitor changes
EDIT (13.10.2015): I have partially eliminated it as a cause of freeze, having submitted two other OS on the NUC to the same frequent monitor changes (both OS are Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf, one on the USB, one on the M.2 SSD in replacement of Kodibuntu)

Could anyone please help me ? I will try to refine my testing results in the following days (e.g. monitor changes) but I really don't know what to do or where to look anymore to solve the problem.

Thanks a lot.
you probably need a much newer kernel, mesa and libva. see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955
Dear wsnipex,

Thank you for this answer. I went to see the thread you mentioned. Woo, it is a huge thread. I read through it briefly (will have a better look this weekend). But it looks as a much more complicated way to solve the problem compared with just installing Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf and getting Kodi from the official repositories.

1. As you are developer, can I give you a humble opinion from an average end-user ? It may be a good idea to add a small note on the Kodibuntu download and wiki page (as well as on the Intel NUC wiki page) that says that because Kodibuntu is based on Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
- extensive tuning is needed for Kodibuntu to work on newer machines such as the latest Intel NUC
- until the next LTS shows up, easier alternatives are possible such as installing Ubuntu 15.10 + Kodi (or OpenELEC if I understand well this post in the same thread ?)
I can even add the notes to the wiki myself if you approve them (I don't know if I even have the rights to edit the wiki. Do I ?)

2. I understand by your answer that you haven't heard of any problems between the Samsung 850 EVO 120 GB M.2 Type M 2280 SSD and Kodibuntu/Kodi ?

Many thanks

EDIT (09.10.2015): I went to the wiki and requested a user account. I confirmed it and I am now waiting for the password.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodibuntu freezes after a few minutes - NUC5I3RYH & Samsung 850 EVO 120 GB SSD0