v16 Audio and Video Party Mode setup for a "Dummie" in Rapier, please?
Hi,

My memory and/or logic is completely letting me down on this: No matter what I try, I am not able to get playlists or Party Mode for Audio or Video working. I have been trying for days now and ask that someone take me step by step through it. The description in the Kodi Wiki is very confusing / lacking.

This is what I have: A late 2012 2,3MHz Quad i7, 16GB Memory, Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Release Version and Kodi Nightly Build: kodi-20151008-28a6573-master-x86_64.

I know you might be asking me for logs, but please tell me where to find them and how to post them if the below description is not satisfying to lead me in the right direction. I also have to mention that I had both Audio and Video Party Mode working a few weeks ago with the same setup except for the mini running 10.10.5 and an earlier version of Kodi 16, but I had to change the path to the video and audio files for practical reasons and have never been able to get it running again (I did change path in the tsp-files below after this). If I try to start Party Mode, I get the message: "Party Mode Aborted. Couldn't open the database." or the most common one: "Party Mode Aborted. No matching songs in the library."

Can anyone please look at the data below and give me an idea of what is wrong and an easy step-by-step guide on how to get it working, please? As a side-note, I have been programming and servicing almost every language from Unix to the C-versions and given support and service to Mac-users since 1985, but a recent brain injury has affected my memory severely, especially short term memory and I have problem switching from one web-page to another and remembering what the other mentioned... That is why I plead for someone to write a "dummies' step-by-step guide and would be very grateful for any assistance!!! I so miss having a functional Party Mode.
Thanks!

In my userdata folder (Users/Lars/Library/Application Support/Kodi/, I have 2 Party Mode files, one for Video and one for Audio called PartyMode-Video.xsp and PartyMode.xsp

Content of PartyMode-Video.xsp:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="musicvideos">
<name></name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="path" operator="is">
<value>/Volumes/MediaMac Music HD/Music Video/</value>
</rule>
<order direction="ascending">random</order>
</smartplaylist>

Content of PartyMode.xsp:
<smartplaylist type="songs">
<name></name>
<match>all</match>
<value>/Volumes/MediaMac Music HD/Music Audio/</value>
</rule>
</smartplaylist>

In Users/Lars/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/playlists/video/ I have this file:
Smart Playlist Video.xsp with the content:
<name>Smart Playlist Video</name>
<match>all</match>
<value>/Volumes/MediaMac Music HD/Music Video/</value>
</rule>
</smartplaylist>

In Users/Lars/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/playlists/music/ I have this file:
Smart Playlist Audio.xsp with the content:
<name>Smart Playlist Audio</name>
<match>all</match>
<value>/Volumes/MediaMac Music HD/Music Audio/</value>
</rule>
</smartplaylist>
Hi Lars.

First off, if you changed the path to your music library, you need to enter this path as your music source inside Kodi and rescape your entire library!

Keep your video playlists here: Users/Lars/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/playlists/video/
And your audio playlists here: Users/Lars/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/playlists/music/

Try changing your playlists to this:

Content of Video.xsp:
Code:
<name>Smart Playlist Video</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="path" operator="contains">
<value>/Music Video/</value>
</rule>
</smartplaylist>

Content of Audio.xsp:
Code:
<name>Smart Playlist Audio</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="path" operator="contains">
<value>/Music Audio/</value>
</rule>
</smartplaylist>

But if you have scraped your music into the Kodi library (and I think you have), why don't you use the Party Mode button? That does exactly what you're trying to achieve. You don't need any playlists for this function.

Go to the top options menu bar (press left or up) and click the extra options button (number 3 from left). Click the Party Mode radio button.
Thank you for replying!

I will try to move and do the change a little later (time zone..) I will try to change it and leave a reply by tomorrow.

The error messages I get, is when pressing the Party Mode buttons in the GUI. I Might have to start from scratch with Kodi to make it work. I have upgraded without issues since 13.2 but errors might have caused this. Kodi is so much better now than version 13 and 14, but it is a mess to set up compared to those versions now, or am I wrong?

Thanks!

Lars Smile
If you only use the buttons in the Kodi GUI, no smart playlists are needed for party mode.

I think you need to update your music source to the new path and rescrape your music library. And offcourse clean it to get rid of the wrong entries. Smile

Let me know how it goes.

EDIT: Kodi 15 and 16 are working very well for me. How is v16 more difficult to set up?
Hi again,

I have now followed your instructions and are a bit closer:
When choosing Party Mode in the Video-section of the GUI, it displays Filling glasses for about a second and nothing more happens.
Doing the same in the Music-section, picks 10 random songs in a new window but does not play, I am not even aloud to choose Play.

Kodi has no trouble finding my music audio and video files in Files-menus, so there seems to be no trouble finding the files.

I am not clear on what rescrape means. Please explain it's function and how to execute it. I did do a cleanup of the music and video library in Settings, but ended up loosing so many files in the GUI that I had to delete and import the libraries again.
I forgot to write that I was using a late 2012 Mac mini with 2,3GHz i7 Quad Core. Will it, if my brain injury does not improve and my skills with programming does not return to my memory, be best to choose a dedicated preconfigured "Kodi Media Hardware"? I love my Macs, know all about Mac OS X and everything else in Kodi 16 is working perfectly.. I know this is like swearing, but could Plex be an alternative if things does not improve for me? It does seem to be easier to set up.. I gave up on that years ago as it seemed to be pre-Alpha software at the time, but now I see Plex mentioned more than Kodi on sites discussing this subject matter?

To test if Party Mode works on a fresh install, I installed the latest build of Kodi 16 on my MacBook Pro Retina, but no go, the exact same error messages appears even if I can play both Music Video and Audio manually on the mini and the laptop.
On the Music Video part, I have found a temporary solution: I choose Play on the folder by contextual menu and it plays all 450+ videos non-stop. This, however, does not work with the audio-files (25,000+ files) and crashes Kodi instantly.

What I meant by Kodi 16 being more difficult to set up than earlier versions, is the lack of updated documentation on kodi.tv that still refers to XBMC in many sections and lacks descriptions (or I can't find them) of new functions.
I LOVE Rapier and will never look back to Confluence as my preferred Skin, but a lot of the settings in Setting lacks description of their function like they used to do in pre 15-versions of XBMC / Kodi.

Thanks again for the assist! If you or anyone else have any more tips or useful information for me, I will be very grateful!
Lars Blush
Update!

I was about to forget all about the Party Mode function, but in frustration, I clicked Party mode in the Video section and now Party mode for my Music Videos works!!!
The only things I have done, is reloaded the Music Video Source in Kodi and it did not work at first (just a second or so with the message "Filling glasses"), but it must have updated the library while I was writing the previous messageHuh The advice about the changes in my userfolder has surely helped: Thank You!!! Smile

The Party Mode for Audio still does not work though.
Hi Lars.

(2015-10-11, 18:41)LarsM Wrote: Update!

I was about to forget all about the Party Mode function, but in frustration, I clicked Party mode in the Video section and now Party mode for my Music Videos works!!!
The only things I have done, is reloaded the Music Video Source in Kodi and it did not work at first (just a second or so with the message "Filling glasses"), but it must have updated the library while I was writing the previous messageHuh The advice about the changes in my userfolder has surely helped: Thank You!!! Smile

The Party Mode for Audio still does not work though.

Really glad you got the Party Mode for music videos working.

The built in Party Mode adds 10 items at a time, but keeps adding items to the playlist as you play it.

Let me walk you through adding the music to your library.
  1. I would start by manually backing up your music database. Go to Users/Lars/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/Database/MyMusic54.db and copy this file to another location. The file could have a different number, but backup the file with the highest number.
  2. Go to System -> Music -> Library -> Clean Library... and wait for the function to finish.
  3. Click "Default Provider for Album Information" and choose your preferred scraper (I use Universal Album Scraper).
  4. Click "Default Provider for Artist Information" and choose your preferred scraper (I use Universal Artist Scraper).
  5. If you like, you can enable "Update Library on Startup".
  6. If you like, you can enable "Fetch Additional Information During Updates" (I have enabled this).
  7. Exit and go to Music -> Files.
  8. Click "Add music..."
  9. Browse to your music library path.
  10. Enter a name for your music source and press enter.
  11. Bring up the context menu for your new source and click "Scan Items to Library".
  12. Wait for the scrapers to finish. This can take quite some time.
  13. When finished, you can enter Music -> Artists, bring up the context menu and click "Query Info for all Artists" to look for missing info.
  14. When finished, you can enter Music -> Albums, bring up the context menu and click "Query Info for all Albums" to look for missing info.

(2015-10-11, 18:25)LarsM Wrote: I forgot to write that I was using a late 2012 Mac mini with 2,3GHz i7 Quad Core. Will it, if my brain injury does not improve and my skills with programming does not return to my memory, be best to choose a dedicated preconfigured "Kodi Media Hardware"? I love my Macs, know all about Mac OS X and everything else in Kodi 16 is working perfectly.. I know this is like swearing, but could Plex be an alternative if things does not improve for me? It does seem to be easier to set up.. I gave up on that years ago as it seemed to be pre-Alpha software at the time, but now I see Plex mentioned more than Kodi on sites discussing this subject matter?

My advice will always be to keep using Kodi. And if you love your Macs there's no need to switch to anything else.

You can always come to these forums or look in the wiki for help Smile

(2015-10-11, 18:25)LarsM Wrote: What I meant by Kodi 16 being more difficult to set up than earlier versions, is the lack of updated documentation on kodi.tv that still refers to XBMC in many sections and lacks descriptions (or I can't find them) of new functions.
I LOVE Rapier and will never look back to Confluence as my preferred Skin, but a lot of the settings in Setting lacks description of their function like they used to do in pre 15-versions of XBMC / Kodi.

The wiki keeps getting updated and anyone is more than welcome to add contents. You can always ask about anything in these forums.

All Kodi Settings are explained within the GUI.

The Rapier skin settings have never been explained inside Kodi. However, you can find a detailed guide to all settings here (although I haven't updated it yet for Rapier 9.0.0).
Thank you again for good advice and using your time to help me!

I have to admit that Party Mode for Music Video was the most missing feature and I am enjoying that right now as long as Kodi stays open. I really like the new Kodi 16 feature for handling 4:3 Video in 16:9 by not zooming them so much. That combined with a similar feature on my Sony KDL55W800A makes those look like they where filmed in 16:9 without loosing any part of the video, but it's still alpha and will crash sooner or later as alpha-software does. The nightly buildkodi-20151008-28a6573-master-x86_64 I am using now is so far the most stable I have tested and can run for close to 24 hours in a stable mode before requiring a restart (tip for those Mac-users that want to try 16).

As soon as this session shows sign of a restart of Kodi, I will test the 14-step walk-trough above.

Again thanks for your help! Having the Video Music Party Mode working again makes life a little more enjoyable!

Lars Smile

PS. The current Kodi Folder in Application Support is backed up on two separate drives Wink
Hehe, always a good idea to keep backups. Especially if you like to mess around with the system, like I do Wink

I am also very thrilled about Kodi 16 and the new features - and also the ones to come.

Glad to hear that you're happy and got the music videos working.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Cheers
Gade
Hi Gade!

I followed your 14 step guide and despite Kodi crashing 3 times while scraping, it resumed when restarting it, and despite that Query Info for all Artists and Albums was missing from the contextual menu, Party Mode for Music Audio now works!!! You are a genius, Gade!

Just to make sure I did not mess up Party Mode for Music Videos, I tested it and it still works!

Thank you and all the best!!!

Lars, a Norwegian living in Mexico getting help from another Scandinavian Cool
Hi Lars, my fellow Scandinavian Wink

So great that you got everything up and running.

The context menu for "Query Info for All Artists" and "...Albums" are inside the artist and album node, when focusing an artist or album. But it might not be necessary at all.

Cheers
Gade

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio and Video Party Mode setup for a "Dummie" in Rapier, please?0