SMB problem
I'm able to see my computer name through workgroup, but when I choose it, I'm asked for "Lock preferences". I've entered every username and password on my system and nothing works. help
Try enabling guest accounts in Windows.
Assuming you're using Windows XP.

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874
Yeah, I'm still having troubles accessing my workgroup. Still getting that godforsaken smb lock preferences box. Angry Sad

I enable "Guest" and enable "simple sharing", but to no avail.

Help! Please? Huh
I had the same problem until I disabled simple file sharing in XP. The "simple" file sharing is just a f' up. Turn it off.
Yeah. I've almost given up. I really don't know what to do to make this smb preferences go away. lol. Simple file sharing was originally disabled and still didn't work.
Got it fixed (see other related post). Big Grin !

The fix was to disable "Simple File Sharing"/create new account (xbox)/create username and password on xbmc/and for every shared folder add the xbox account and make sure the "read" box is checked.

Works great now. So happy! I've had xbmc for months and I finally get to use it. Cool

This site rocks! Big Grin
Anyone else have any suggestions?

My symptoms aren't quite as straightforward:
I also have my Xbox networked, and when I navigate to my PC (either looking for pictures or videos), I can browse around just fine.
...until I get to one particular folder [that I've found so far] inside my shared folder - then I'm prompted for the user/password.

I don't want to set up another user on my PC (XP 64x), because I only have one now, so it boots right up without any ugly choices.

Instead, I thought I could use my existing profile "Chris" that's already on the PC, and put that in for user... there's no password so I left it blank...
...and that didn't work.

Any suggestions? I'd like to get into this folder from my Xbox, I don't get this "feature". No
have you tried unsharing the folder in question and then resharing it? just a quick thing that might fix it.
Catchy Signature Here
I haven't - it hadn't entered my mind, as the folder I'm sharing is like, two or three folders up in the heirarchy - this particular troublesome folder is a couple levels behind the folder I'm actually sharing:

In other words, I'm sharing a folder in a location, say, c:/audio.
The folder I'm having trouble with is c:/audio/movies/torrents/subfolders.

Strangely, anything else beyind C:/audio I can see - and in fact I can browse and open files that are in c:/audio/movies/torrents... but when I try to click into any (there are several) of the subfolders inside 'torrents', this lock screen comes up.

You make me wonder though - maybe, because I may have created the 'torrents' folder a while after creating the share at 'audio' maybe there's something not being mapped right in Windows or something...
I'll give it a try and see what happens.
I did that, and it didn't change anything.
Strange that it's doing it for just the subfolders (and all of them) inside this one folder, but it's not doing it for files within this folder.

I'm not sure if that points to something unique about this folder in Windows (I wouldn't think so, since I can open files inside that folder, but I can't open subfolders in that same folder), or if it points to something weird - maybe even a bug (I hope not) in XBMC?
I've just loaded the latest build of XBMC from T3CH. I'm have the issue decribed in this thread where I go to add the Source Video, I can browse to the Computer, but as there is no "Browser feature to browse Shared folders, I manually enter the Share Name and then it asks for "Lock Preferences" and I have tried creating new user and password, user and Pw for my WinXp user, leaving it blank, but each time it says unable to connect. I know I'm connected as I'm able to ftp from my pc to the xbox, I can see the weather info. But this sharing the drive so that xbox can see it is just not working form me.

I have tried all the suggestions posted in this thread and still not working. Please help.
you managed to screw up the way the shares are configured on the computer. Without more info from you I can't tell you anything else ;P
Catchy Signature Here
Hi there people, I have a very similar problem! basically i can connect to my xbox through xbox tool, no probs there! my problem arises when I want to cannect my xbox to my pc for file sharing to play music and films etc.
I have done all the security and file sharing stuff on my pc folders but whenever i try and find it all on my xbox I cant find it, it throws up an invalid computer name box come up, I have tried using my user name,password that I log in with and the computer name that I used when installing Windows XP, I have even tried to find and use the UPNP and nero media connect but nothing-still get the same thing. as I said I know my network works because I use cxbox.
Thanx for any help on this situation

mike

P.S I've even changed the config.XML but I'm not 100% on that cos the last post from there was 2006 but I've looked at loads of google pages and theres loads of different ways and it's getting a little confusing now. By the way i'm using a 2008 t3ch build so it shouldn't be a old build problem!
config.xml? Also, you generally can't just use your username / pass for the comp, you need to create a second user account, ensure it has proper privledges for the shares you want, and then punch that account's details into XBMC, or encode them into your sources. Couldn't be bothered to post links to the appropriate guides right now.
Catchy Signature Here

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB problem0