SMB problem
Hi again thanks for replying, Config.XML is the new xboxmediacenter.XML in the user data folder or so i'm led to believe. Anyway a little update, I tried to use Tversity with a little success but I can only watch about 10 secs of a vid before it restarts and I cant see or play music atall. one problem i've noticed is when i try and tick the replace permissions entry on all child objects, I tick it and apply it does some animation to show it's doing something and then when it's done the tick box is unticked again, I'm thinking this maybe my problem? I'll try adding another user and see howe that goes, If it works then I'll let you all know. 3 days i've spent on this so far, starting to do my head in now!

thanks again
Thanks for all your help, just tried your sugestion regarding creating a new user with full priveledges and it now works a treat, thanks P you're a legend. Now I can finally sleep properly without pc jargon going through my head! It's hard to believe that its something that simple! but why on earth can I not just use my normal user account? anyway, not to matter too much now, I can finally go to sleep and play with it proper tommorrow!

Thanks againBig Grin
I'm currently having this problem. I've had this problem for a couple months now. I'm using an FTP method as a workaround, but it's not providing a solution I was looking for.

I am using windows xp home on my desktop and xp pro on my laptop. I have several hard drives on my desktop shared with full priveleges of those folders and subfolders to "Everyone" as well as "Guest" using the security settings while in safe mode (since xp home does not provide the same security options as xp pro). Both devices have firewalls turned off as this is a closed network.

I am getting the lock preference screen while trying to access subfolders of the shared folders, and following that the connection to that computer disappears as if the computer is not present on the network until i reboot the xbox. (following this i am still able to FTP into my desktop's files). The SMB share comes up with an error: "Could not connect to network server"

This is very frustrating and tiresome. I've gone through extensive experimenting on the pc side of things to try and figure it out, with no success.
Use simple file sharing if you can get away with it (which most people can) and this problem will probably go away.
agathorn Wrote:Use simple file sharing if you can get away with it (which most people can) and this problem will probably go away.

That's what I originally used, which started giving me problems.
I also had this problem and just found that it was due to an expired password for the Guest account that I'd set up on the XP host machine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB problem0