• 2(current)
Alpha PseudoTV Live - SetTop Box Experience v.0.8.x
Hey Luna,

Been a while. I just recently upgraded my box to Isengard 15.2 and the latest PTVL. Often when starting PTVL after not having run it for several hours, ie in the morning, it seems to take a really long time to add videos related to live tv from xmltv file. It takes about 2-3 seconds per "video" which is about 3 minutes per channel, as it's limited to 67 videos.

After that long run, it adds the video super fast every time after.

I know I need to provide a log, but I didn't catch it this morning so the next time I have it available I will do so.

For reference, I have my XMLTV limited to 3 days and it is the correct format.

Any suggestions to improve this performance?
(2015-10-25, 15:10)blazin912 Wrote: Hey Luna,

Been a while. I just recently upgraded my box to Isengard 15.2 and the latest PTVL. Often when starting PTVL after not having run it for several hours, ie in the morning, it seems to take a really long time to add videos related to live tv from xmltv file. It takes about 2-3 seconds per "video" which is about 3 minutes per channel, as it's limited to 67 videos.

I know I need to provide a log, but I didn't catch it this morning so the next time I have it available I will do so.

Answer in faq
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Hey Luna, good to see you back on the forums.

Any idea when On demand will be functional? That feature pretty much makes having to even exit Psuedo TV useless. Everything would be accessible straight from your addon.

As always, excellent work!
(2015-10-26, 17:43)XvMMvX Wrote: Hey Luna, good to see you back on the forums.

Any idea when On demand will be functional? That feature pretty much makes having to even exit Psuedo TV useless. Everything would be accessible straight from your addon.

Sorry No ETA, its going to require a decent amount of work to finish... and in all honestly I am not looking forward to the debugging process. Most users don't embrace change and bugs tactfully.
(2015-10-26, 18:06)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2015-10-26, 17:43)XvMMvX Wrote: Hey Luna, good to see you back on the forums.

Sorry No ETA, its going to require a decent amount of work to finish... and in all honestly I am not looking forward to the debugging process. Most users don't embrace change and bugs tactfully.
Perhaps it would warrant a limited beta test with trusted users. You know, the ones that don't scream "Lunatixz kicked my puppy! It doesn't work and I hate you for it! Etc."
(2015-10-26, 19:01)jctennis Wrote: Perhaps it would warrant a limited beta test with trusted users.

Well that, or maybe it's time to start having "stable" and "testing" branches with slightly different ordering so that both versions can be installed and users can still get a consistent experience in the stable version while still being able to play with the toys and make bug reports to improve the testing version? It might work.
I don't want to run two branches for one it limits my users, less chance to find all the bugs... Second, I have to provide debugging for two branches?

This is a nonprofit venture... Don't have that kinda time or focus.
(2015-10-26, 19:18)Lunatixz Wrote: I don't want to run two branches for one it limits my users, less chance to find all the bugs... Second, now I have to provide debugging for two branches. This is a nonprofit venture... Don't have that kinda time or focus.

I understand.
If users want a final version that is bug free, tailored to their needs (feature request thread) some type of dues/sacrifices have to be made... Lucky all I ask for is your log not your first born.
(2015-10-26, 19:21)Lunatixz Wrote: If users want a final version that is bug free, tailored to their needs (feature request thread) some type of dues/sacrifices have to be made... Lucky all I ask for is your log not your first born.

Absolutely! I think I mentioned that I went back through the old thread via the Internet Archive and was completely floored by how much you've poured into this program. For the level of functionality we're getting (both promised and actual) this program is probably worth quite a bit of money... and we're getting the benefit of it all in exchange for logs when something doesn't work as expected.

If I haven't said it recently, let me say it here and now: Thank you!
(2015-10-26, 19:33)bornagainpengui Wrote:
(2015-10-26, 19:21)Lunatixz Wrote: If users want a final version that is bug free, tailored to their needs (feature request thread) some type of dues/sacrifices have to be made... Lucky all I ask for is your log not your first born.

Absolutely! I think I mentioned that I went back through the old thread via the Internet Archive and was completely floored by how much you've poured into this program. For the level of functionality we're getting (both promised and actual) this program is probably worth quite a bit of money... and we're getting the benefit of it all in exchange for logs when something doesn't work as expected.

If I haven't said it recently, let me say it here and now: Thank you!

FYI the old thread is still in the sub-forum : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=169032

It wasn't easy to close a thread with almost 2 million views and 10k posts... but it has become outdated and bloated.
(2015-10-25, 15:56)Lunatixz Wrote:

Answer in faq

Thanks the FAQ did not help the issue:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=7h84Uw4U

I have my channels shared and my xmltv shared, but 192.168.1.50 is the ip of the machine having the issue/sharing the files.

Also, this slow loading is new to this newer version of PTVL, I'd have to look back to the version I was running previously, but I can say it was old.. changelog of the version I was running was the old format with 2.1.0 at the top.

Does this look related to channel sharing?
(2015-10-27, 00:48)blazin912 Wrote:
(2015-10-25, 15:56)Lunatixz Wrote:

Answer in faq

I have my channels shared and my xmltv shared, but 192.168.1.50 is the ip of the machine having the issue/sharing the files.

Also, this slow loading is new to this newer version of PTVL, I'd have to look back to the version I was running previously, but I can say it was old.. changelog of the version I was running was the old format with 2.1.0 at the top.

Try creating your own tvdb api key and enter it under debugging... I have a feeling my api key is being throttled.
(2015-10-27, 01:04)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2015-10-27, 00:48)blazin912 Wrote:
(2015-10-25, 15:56)Lunatixz Wrote: Answer in faq

Try creating your own tvdb api key and enter it under debugging... I have a feeling my api key is being throttled.

Thanks I'll let you know if that did the trick. What you said would make sense.. it got reallllly slow today, so if it is being throttled that'd make a little bit of sense.
(2015-10-26, 19:18)Lunatixz Wrote: I don't want to run two branches for one it limits my users, less chance to find all the bugs... Second, I have to provide debugging for two branches?

This is a nonprofit venture... Don't have that kinda time or focus.

I hope you don't take it the wrong way, but having just a bleeding edge (nightly) branch in my opinion is a horrible idea.

Stable and dev branches don't mean double the debugging. And it would not limit your users.

The way it works is, you have a stable branch, by definition it is stable and very minimal bugs (if any). New features get added to the dev branch, get debugged by users willing to test and report, and once the bugs are fixed, the changes get pulled into the stable branch. Then you add a new feature to the dev branch. That's how most open source software works.

Every time I fire up PTVL lately and see the changelog, my first thought is "Oh God! What broke this time?" because honestly with every update something else breaks. I understand these are bleeding edge (nightly) builds and things break, but I don't need that kind of stress and I don't have time to troubleshoot every time I launch PTVL. Sometimes I just want to enjoy the media. So today I deleted PTVL from all my devices.

I highly suggest you consider creating a stable branch, that way your users will be much happier and the bug reports you get will be much better quality because most novice users will stay on the stable branch while experienced users will test the dev branch and report back.

Can you imagine how it would be if Kodi only had the nightly builds and no stable or betas? There would be bloodshed. The forum would be overloaded with frustrated users and at the end kodi would have much fewer users (many would move on to emby or plex).

Again, this is constructive feedback from a fellow dev (you can check my github page, I develop docker containers and I have stable and dev branches for every container I developed. Support requests are at a minimum because almost everyone uses the stable branches). I really think your user base would increase as a result. Because you are losing users like me to frustration.

Thanks for your hard work and good luck
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PseudoTV Live - SetTop Box Experience v.0.8.x4