• 3(current)
Touchscreen support in XBMC - Control everything in GUI via one finger touch/click(s)
MANY of the usb touchscreens have egalax touch panels. (they all use the same drivers) there are open source versions of these drivers out there. Click Me To Find Out More A mod chip to support a touchscreen is just silly for many reasons that i don't feel like explaining. I"m sure there are plenty of people that would like this but the devs have said many times that they don't plan on adding this feature. so it will take someone to independently get the ball rolling. I am not a coder so i think this would be a little much to start out on as a fist project.

AkiraGT: if you think a modchip maker should add support for thouchscreens you should probably put that in one of their forums. because odds are they aren't going to see that request as quickly in a XBMC feature request forum. not to mention its not even a feature request for xbmc but a feature request for a modchip. Not trying to be a dick, but if you really want it, might as well get it rollng right.

heres the download page for the drivers http://www.egalax.com.tw/eg/drivers.htm
i think that the source may be included for most/all of the linux versions, but i guess what type os would be the best the have the source for to port it into xbmc
I'd love touchscreen support, but it would also need a simpler interface since now you depend on a remote or a controller.

actually I can buy an addon for my Panasonic plasma which turns it into a very big touchscreen. but I think a smaller 15" screen will work better. this will then bring the need for xbmc's talking together or multiple screen outputs (probably not possible with the xbox hardware). since I want to control one xbmc from another. maybe a pc app will suffice here - havn't thought this through hehe
Exclamation 
Yes, I have read all the other posts on this.
Yes, I know XBMC dev's don't want to implement it, (any time soon anyway)

BUT, still....

I see Jmarshall lives in NZ, so do I. I could help him out by sending him a touch screen to work with if he was interested...

Anyone else, (good C+ programmers) interested in the project? Now with XBMC_PC, it may be ALOT easier to test operations etc.

Imagine the possibilities, it could be used in so many ways. From HOME TOUCHSCREEN JUKEBOX to CAR TOUCHSCREEN MEDIA CENTRE. A proper skin could be created where areas of the skin are used as buttons (development of the skin could be tested with the mouse), so the area around eg. my programs would be the button so the touch does not have to be exactly on the small square. Also, any other area that is not a button, could be made into an "invisible" button which brings up a menu with volume control etc (so, the touch screen user could press any where on the screen and this dialog would pop up with the controls). This would be good as I noticed, just using a mouse in xbmc, you cannot increase volume, decrease volume, stop, play etc, which are all operations done via button presses on the xbox controller.

Huh
Wink 
Even though it is way to early for the official Team-XBMC developers to start looking at this for the XBMC Linux port, I still just like to add a little reminder to eveyone that adding touchscreen support to XBMC for Linux should be a million times easier than adding touchscreen support to the Xbox version of XBMC.

So if there any other 'non-official' C/C++ developers out there who already own a touchscreen (or several) and would like to have a look at this for XBMC then please go right ahead, and please submit a patch when you are done. Simplest would proably be to start with the documentation on the Linux USB Project, (I also understand that the Linux kernel comes with a unified touchscreen driver since version 2.6.17 but support will still have to be added to the XBMC code as well, look at the existing mouse code for ideas on how/where to implement the code).

Checkout these links:
http://www.linux-usb.org
http://linux.chapter7.ch/touchkit/mini-howto.txt
http://tuxmobil.org/touch_laptops.html
http://freshmeat.net/projects/3mtouchscreendriver/
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Question 
Will there or could there be touch screen support? XBMC would make an AWESOME! CarPC Frontend!
Touchscreen support would simply require installing the appropriate touchscreen driver for your X server. XBMC wouldn't most likely not know the difference.

http://stz-softwaretechnik.com/~ke/touch...touch.html
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/XFr...HOWTO.html
yes, touchscreens will work as a mouse under linux with the right device-drivers, however I'm not sure how the context-menu will work, nor how to move back to the main home-menu, ...I also think the skin(s) might need a little work to make them more touchscreen friendly (larger 'click' areas, etc.)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Gamester17 Wrote:yes, touchscreens will work as a mouse under linux with the right device-drivers, however I'm not sure how the context-menu will work, nor how to move back to the main home-menu, ...I also think the skin(s) might need a little work to make them more touchscreen friendly (larger 'click' areas, etc.)

Sounds promising Smile
Lightbulb 
How about if we set it so that mouse left button double-click (and double-tap for touchscreen) is always interpreted as one mouse right button click?

Huh
Because it's already used in the filemanager.

Question 
jmarshall Wrote:Because it's already used in the filemanager.
What do you mean? Huh
Double click is already used in the filemanager.

oh ok, I was ferring to the whole GUI, the media center interface of XBMC specificly.
Indeed - the trouble with it is that it leads to obvious inconsistencies.

I have yet to hear from a single user who can't use it due to lack of right mouse click, so to be honest, I don't really see the point at this stage Smile

What about navigation with touchscreens? Huh

...if we could all mouse navigation working throughout the whole XBMC GUI with only the left mouse button then that would be the best thing in IMHO.

Right mouse button usage should only be optional and do the same thing as a double-click on the left mouse button.

Now THAT would bring consistency to XBMC mouse usage IMO Nod
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Touchscreen support in XBMC - Control everything in GUI via one finger touch/click(s)0