• 4(current)
Touchscreen support in XBMC - Control everything in GUI via one finger touch/click(s)
When I get a single user actually using a touchscreen and requesting such a feature, then I will consider it.

Before we do, I see little point in mucking around with it Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Sounds fair enough.

hmm, now I wonder how much a touchscreen would set me back... Rofl
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Question 
Hi there all.

I'm looking for some assistance to develop a touchscreen XBMC system. The final screen will be installed flat onto an item of furniture, with whatever hardware (apple, linux box?) concealed.

I've used, altho not installed, XBMC with great satisfaction for the past few years and this implementation will be mainly used to handle the large mp3 and divx collection that I've got housed on them at present.

If there's anyone that can assist with the parts and software needed to get a touchscreen system working perfectly then I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

Regards.

Dan/Rielle Furniture.
Welcome to XBMC (or at least the forums)! I don't know much about touch screens myself but I seem to recall someone a few months back that tried to get a touchscreen setup working. I'm not sure whether he ever succeeded or not but I'd suggest doing a search for touchscreen in all the forums here and somewhere in there you're sure to find some valuable information, in addition to whatever people might supply here.
If you're planning on selling these (nothing wrong with that IMO), you may want to take a look at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37934 .

The reason I think you might be planning on it is the "Dan/Rielle Furniture." at the bottom of your post. Maybe furniture is your last name or something I don't know.
If I'm wrong, sorry, don't mean to offend, 'cause I personally don't think there is anything wrong with it on a small scale, but I'm not a dev so my opinion on that is pretty worthless.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
So long as your touchscreen works as a normal HID and there are drivers for your selected OS it *should* work without any coding.
althekiller Wrote:So long as your touchscreen works as a normal HID and there are drivers for your selected OS it *should* work without any coding.

Providing you use a skin with decent mouse support Smile
Hey guys, thanks for the prompt replies. A forum impressive as the system! If i were to use something like this then i suppose given the monitor conenction then i'd have to go linux/mac based vs. xbox based? Sorry for the real newby nature of my questioning! in ref to parris's comment then at the moment it's just a prototype with the touchscreen more 'proof of concept' than anything else, but thank you for that link as it'll come in handy down the road. i would presume that the software from someone like Elo would work well with Xbmc on pc/mac but really welcome any further input. Ta. Dan/Rielle.
IMHO, the only touchscreen/mouse feature currently missing in XBMC is double-tap (double-click) support to go back and to bring up the context-menu, (and the back feature could probably be archived via skinning alone).

Other than that a few skins like "Project Mayhem III" and "PM3.HD" are already very mouse friendly which translate into being touchscreen friendly, (again, with the exception where the right mouse-button is required as a touchscreen essentially functions like a one button mouse, and that mouse-button specifically being only the left mouse-button).

For more forum thread about touchscreens see: http://forum.xbmc.org/tags.php?tag=touchscreen

rielle Wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the prompt replies. A forum impressive as the system! If i were to use something like this then i suppose given the monitor conenction then i'd have to go linux/mac based vs. xbox based?
Yes, it might work or it might not work as the Xbox has limited HID mouse support, see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Xbox_USB_Key...se_Support
jmarshall Wrote:When I get a single user actually using a touchscreen and requesting such a feature, then I will consider it.
One user => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38478 Wink
One plus touchscreen user here (or will be when i get my arcade bartop built)

My intention was to add hidden (or visible) buttons to do things not possible in the skin, context-menus would be an issue.

15" Elo touchscreen used, go for around $100 on eBay. that's what I bought, small, but good enough.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
Nuka1195 Wrote:context menus would be an issue.
Yeah the context-menu is the biggest issue, ...back button could be done via skinning by adding a "Back" button in each view (though IMHO it would we great if also a double-click in an area without buttons always meant back, not as intuitive as a "Back" button in each view but easy to learn once you understood the concept).
Whoa, what other program has ever had double-click = back? We shouldn't be trying to train users to use new concepts just because we've run out of buttons. We should be looking at existing media players and seeing how they do it so a user can easily switch to us without having to learn a new song and dance.
Double-click to pop-up the Context-Menu is not a stretch though, is it? Huh
Can you name a commonly used program that uses such a behavior? IMO there are a lot of our keyboard shortcuts that make no sense. Two that come to mind immediately:
If you'd like to quit, press 's'?
If you'd like to stop a video, press 'x'?

Really, where's the wife factor?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Touchscreen support in XBMC - Control everything in GUI via one finger touch/click(s)0