Steam Controller Support
I'm not sure how feasible it is but I got my steam controller and expected it to work well with Kodi but at the moment I can only use it as a glorified trackpad and mouse clicker.
Rushing a bit are we, its not even released officially its pre-released...
(2015-10-24, 03:30)skaarah Wrote: I'm not sure how feasible it is but I got my steam controller and expected it to work well with Kodi but at the moment I can only use it as a glorified trackpad and mouse clicker.

did you send us one as well?
none of the team devs has this controller so how should we be able to test it? Valve didn't donate any in order to add support.
(2015-10-24, 03:44)swetoast Wrote: Rushing a bit are we, its not even released officially its pre-released...

Oh. I ordered it a long time ago. I wasn't aware of it actual released-ness.
Take the time to read what you order in the future...
@skaarah: I'm also having this problem, so while waiting for a fix from the dev team, I binded Kodi keyboard shortcuts to the desktop mode configuration. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. Also, I didn't really have a use for the desktop mode, so I'm not loosing anything really Wink

Head here for a list of the shortcuts: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls
hymness are you retarded ? ITS IN PRERELEASE not even release officially yet BUT if you donate your controller to Kodi then they might make progress so read the fucking manual..

geez
Thanks for your concern swetoast but I am perfectly fine. I was just helping a fellow Steam Controller user with his problem. I do understand that the controller is is pre-release and I don't care having to wait one month or more for the controller support by Kodi development team. But for now there is a workaround. Have a nice day kind sir.
(2015-10-29, 17:51)swetoast Wrote: hymness are you retarded ? ITS IN PRERELEASE not even release officially yet BUT if you donate your controller to Kodi then they might make progress so read the fucking manual..

geez

What the hell? All the guy did was provide a workaround top the OP for the interim. How does that make him 'retarded'?
Steam Controller whooo! I do like it for many things, though Kodi seems funny. I didn't like using the controller back in the OG Xbox days either, but zipping through a long list with the analog triggers is still satisfying.

Kodi supports Xbox 360 controller input, and the Steam Controller does it's damnedest to pretend to be one, if you ask it to. On Windows 10, adding Kodi to Steam, configuring the controller to act as a gamepad, and launching from Steam Big Picture generally worked, other than the D-pad. I dug through the Kodi debug logs, comparing output from my real 360 controller to the Steam controller, and they log the same (hat 1 value 1/2/4/8), so that didn't really help. But you can remap the D-pad to arrow keys in Steam. It works well enough, though it does behave a bit differently. Windows 7/8 probably work similarly, and I would assume Linux/SteamOS too, though I don't actually know.
(2015-10-30, 05:10)rmrector Wrote: Steam Controller whooo! I do like it for many things, though Kodi seems funny. I didn't like using the controller back in the OG Xbox days either, but zipping through a long list with the analog triggers is still satisfying.

Kodi supports Xbox 360 controller input, and the Steam Controller does it's damnedest to pretend to be one, if you ask it to. On Windows 10, adding Kodi to Steam, configuring the controller to act as a gamepad, and launching from Steam Big Picture generally worked, other than the D-pad. I dug through the Kodi debug logs, comparing output from my real 360 controller to the Steam controller, and they log the same (hat 1 value 1/2/4/8), so that didn't really help. But you can remap the D-pad to arrow keys in Steam. It works well enough, though it does behave a bit differently. Windows 7/8 probably work similarly, and I would assume Linux/SteamOS too, though I don't actually know.

It might be a Windows 10 thing, because, at least for me, I can't get Kodi to see my Steam Controller as a Xbox controller. Some buttons do work, but not the way it is supposed to.
Wouldn't the Steam Controller work as an X-Input controller rather than an Xbox controller? While VERY similar, I mean like how Logitech's USB controllers have a 'D' and an 'X' function, to switch between DirectInput mode and XInput. It shouldn't be seen by the 360 specific software, since there's no ring of lights or such, but it should work as an X-Input controller. Any game that supports Xbox 360 controllers also supports XInput, since both are using the same protocol but different drivers. Or does X-Input as a WHOLE have issues with Windows 10?
@hymness Are you launching Kodi from Steam? That is important, otherwise Steam doesn't pass through something that Kodi needs. I'm also using Kodi 15 Isengard.

Steam behaves differently with Jarvis alpha 3: Steam passes through it's desktop configuration rather than what I had set for Kodi (the left trackpad clicking like a scroll wheel was a dead giveaway). Setting the desktop configuration (in Steam) as a gamepad caused Jarvis to behave the same way as Isengard (still has to be launched from Steam), but that's not ideal because you can't use it as a trackpad for the other desktop uses.

@DJ_Izumi The Steam controller generally emits the same XInput signals as the 360 gamepad does, and at least at first blush they should even look and behave the same to any consuming software/game that responds to XInput (seemingly even more than those Logitechs do). I'm pretty sure the 360 ring of light isn't exposed to general software, at least not with the official drivers; its functions (player # and battery notification) are handled by the driver or controller itself. It looks like Kodi uses DirectInput on Windows, and the Steam controller should act very nearly the same as the 360 gamepad through this interface, too. Kodi identifies it as "Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)", just like my official 360 controller. Kodi uses that to match inputs already configured for the 360 gamepad in the keymap XML.

The Steam controller basically works for me in Kodi on Windows 10 as a 360 gamepad. It's a bit finicky, but given the way the controller and Kodi are designed, it's likely that some tinkering would provide similar results on other version of Windows as well (at least 7/8/10).
(2015-10-31, 01:12)rmrector Wrote: @hymness Are you launching Kodi from Steam? That is important, otherwise Steam doesn't pass through something that Kodi needs. I'm also using Kodi 15 Isengard.

Yes I do. It doesn't work. Triggers are like left and right arrow but with turbonova mode Tongue Some other buttons just don't work, or not as intended. And as I'm seeing around, I'm not the only one Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Steam Controller Support0