Pixelated video during movement+certain backgrounds
Hi all,

I have a minor annoying problem during playback and i don't think it has something to do with Kodi but with my TV's or Windows.

In certain scenes during movement, the picture gets pixelated/choppy around (mostly) a persons face and body, against certain backgrounds. Only certain backgrounds. Movement is fine when there is a clear background like a blue sky. Only when it gets a certain pattern background (ie a fence) i get this distortion around a moving body or face during playback. This happens on two Machines using Windows 10 but is more visible on the larger screen. There is no low bitrate on the file itself, all high bitrate.
The issue is present on both Kodi and VLC, which rules out anything related to Kodi.

Specs:

HTPC1 Windows 10 nVidia Geforce 880 on a 65" Samsung LED 24p playback
HTPC2 Windows 10 Intel NUCi5RYH on an older Samsung LCD smaller screen but still noticeable distortion here as well.

Any ideas advice ?
Where are you getting data from? It's it streaming our local files? I'd it's always the same files it is likely problems with the source. If its streaming then its likely dropping data during playback.
Local harddrive. But i found the cause. It was the "Soap Opera Effect" Samsungs LED Clear Motion was set to 'Standard' and caused the pixelation/distortion. When off the videos plays perfectly. On the LCD i also turned the feature off and the videos plays well there as well.
This will also happen depending on the refresh rate and video options that you have enabled.

I,e change your refresh rate to adjust to video, and get 24p full screen playback, disable dxva, and enable some different OSD video options.

But it's good to see your post on this, and file the fact that the clear motion may be another fix as well. Gonna try it with mine today. Big Grin
I really have no idea what I am talking about. Proceed with caution. I confuse easily. And drink. A lot.
Samsungs have 2 interpolation adjustments.

Led Motion Plus you call "clear motion" and Auto Motion Plus.

I encourage the use of the features, personally, since I like how motion is smoothed and the entire video is clear and not grainy. Many do not like SOE because it adds so much more realism to the video, it's hard to accept. This is why you purchased a 240Hz panel vs a 120Hz. I have 0 problems that you describe with these enabled using W10 and Nvidia.

Set Led Motion Plus to 'Standard' and Auto Motion Plus to 'Smooth'. In 3D, Auto Motion Plus must be set to 'Standard' or the panel will over scan. Samsungs save different settings for different HDMI inputs so input 3D to a different input than your 2D.

Turn your Backlight up to 20, Contrast to 100, Brightness to 45 and Sharpness to 100 for 2D input.

Enable match refresh rate in Kodi.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2015-10-25, 18:16)brazen1 Wrote: Samsungs have 2 interpolation adjustments.

Led Motion Plus you call "clear motion" and Auto Motion Plus.

I encourage the use of the features, personally, since I like how motion is smoothed and the entire video is clear and not grainy. Many do not like SOE because it adds so much more realism to the video, it's hard to accept. This is why you purchased a 240Hz panel vs a 120Hz. I have 0 problems that you describe with these enabled using W10 and Nvidia.

Set Led Motion Plus to 'Standard' and Auto Motion Plus to 'Smooth'. In 3D, Auto Motion Plus must be set to 'Standard' or the panel will over scan. Samsungs save different settings for different HDMI inputs so input 3D to a different input than your 2D.

Turn your Backlight up to 20, Contrast to 100, Brightness to 45 and Sharpness to 100 for 2D input.

Enable match refresh rate in Kodi.

+100!!!

My old roommate had a Samsung smart tv with the auto motion and I thought it looked absolutely horrendous. Then the wife bought me my LG and it has the same thing(but called TruMotion) and after forcing myself to watch it for about a week I can't stand watching anything without the motion turned on! My roommates now constantly come in and see my TV and give me shit for it looking "weird." Too each their own, but I definitely advise using this option if the pixelation in scenes isn't too discouraging. All those damn "smart" options and the only thing I care about is the SOE lol.
(2015-10-25, 11:25)R0ttweiler Wrote: Local harddrive. But i found the cause. It was the "Soap Opera Effect" Samsungs LED Clear Motion was set to 'Standard' and caused the pixelation/distortion. When off the videos plays perfectly. On the LCD i also turned the feature off and the videos plays well there as well.

Yes - all of these motion interpolation systems are 'guessing' what the new frames should be - and will often struggle on a number of types of motion (and add their own, often quite nasty, artefacts).  The classic issues that cause break down of frame interpolation ("MotionFlow", "Natural Motion", "Clear Motion" etc.) are :

1. Fast motion outside the vector tracking functionality of the interpolation algorithm (it can't detect the motion vectors and the interpolation breaks down into messy blocks)
2. Occluded motion (i.e. something moving behind something else or appearing from behind something else)
3. Areas where foreground objects are moving against a background that is moving in a different direction (two different motion vectors close to each other often cause issues)
4. Rolling/Crawling graphics over a moving background (as above) (One of the worst cases is with semi transparency as each pixel then has two motion vectors...)  In this case you see the roll/crawl 'drag' blocks of the background with it.

In some cases the interpolation just falls back to native frame rate, in others you see areas of background dragged with foreground movement. 

Broadcast manufacturers spend tens of thousands of pounds to convert between frame rates in real time, and even their converters still generate artefacts. Consumer frame interpolation is much less sophisticated and falls apart far more frequently.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pixelated video during movement+certain backgrounds0