Intel NUC 2820 HDMI Audio dropping out occasionally
I have the Intel NUC DN2820FYK and it works very well generally - I'm running HDMI to my receiver then on to my TV, using HDMI sending LPCM multichannel (no passthru, I want it to decode not the amp)

However, occasionally when I start a video the receiver will start by detecting the LPCM, then a few seconds later drop it and shows as if there is no audio being received, then randomly comes in and out. Sometimes it will settle down other times audio stops permanently. I've tried different HDMI ports with the same behaviour, and my Chromecast plugged into one of these HDMI ports never displays this behaviour, so I don't believe its the receiver. I've tried several different HDMI cables, with the same results.

Its difficult to reproduce on demand. Sometimes I'll go several days without it happening, then it happens quite a bit on different video files in a row. I haven't noticed any specific correlation to a particular source audio format, it seems to happen on both DTS/DD type files as well as AAC, although its hard to be sure because I can't force it to do it. The only thing I've found to be helpful (usually) is simply power down and restart and that usually fixes it up for the problematic files. I may be imagining it, but it seems to start happening after I haven't rebooted in days.

I've looked in dmesg, etc but can't really see any HDMI or pulseaudio specific errors/warnings. Has anybody got any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Is it worth doing all this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/Log to see if PA is having a problem? Would greatly appreciate any help!

Running Kodi 15.2 on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS using pretty much default settings (I haven't removed Pulseaudio, just used Ubuntu sound settings and pavucontrol to set volumes and hardware output device.
Start with your Debug Log - tells much more than I wall of text.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Many thanks, may be a few days before I can reproduce the issue. Will turn it on then, grab it and post. Sorry, I didn't realise the debug log captured low level stuff like that!
If we stop playing audio, then we most of the time know why :-) I think something goes heavily out of sync with that result audio needs to be "muted" for a short time and after back in sync it should come back. But we will see.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I see. I didn't get the sense it was Kodi causing it, I assumed it was more a hardware/Ubuntu thing because the receiver is flicking out of pcm mode to 'nothing' as if the stream has gone, then back again. I thought keep alive (which I've tried setting to always on, as well) would mean even if it got muted, the stream would still be present. But as you say, I'll try to get it to happen again and grab the debug, cheers!
Ah okay - we will see. Let's start with kodi.log then continue with pulseaudio -vvv log and then we will most likely see what is going on.

Btw. some old AVRs stop receiving if there is let's say 10 seconds pure silence in a video stream and shut off, but we will also see this.
I also have the same issue and can't for the life of me figure it out. I have a 2820 running openelec connected to a Denon x1000 at my moms place. Same story with either YouTube or video files on the hard drive. The receiver shows the lpcm dropping, very frustrating. I've tried not using pass through and setting it as 2.0, 2.1, 5.0, 5.1, using pass through and selecting which codecs my receiver had, and no joy. While I can't get the log because I'm in a different country at the moment, I am very interested in this discussion. Looking forward to seeing a solution.
Discussion does not happen - as I did not get any logs ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC 2820 HDMI Audio dropping out occasionally0