Android MKV VC-1 playback issues
(2018-11-28, 03:47)noggin Wrote:
(2018-11-27, 18:10)frank_jarle Wrote: So you say that the code is indeed improved for Linux-side, but for me who run Nvidia Shield TV i do not see any kind of improvement.

You won't - the improvements are for Linux where the developers have control of Kodi AND have control of the OS VPU drivers and code.  This isn't the case for Android, where the developers don't have access to change the OS.  

On Android all of the video decoding stuff is handed over to Android-level decoders which are part of the Android build on your device. Kodi just pumps the VC-1, H264, H265 video into the MediaCodec parts of Android, it's up to the build of Android on your device to handle driving the hardware correctly to decode this. If the support team for your Android platform don't improve support, support doesn't improve. These aren't part of Kodi - they are part of your Android install.

As I understand it this issue will likely only get fixed if nVidia fix it. That's not something the Kodi developers can really do unless they start developing custom Android ROMs (which isn't going to happen) 
WOW, this is the best reply i ever have seen regarding MKV/VC1 issue on Android platform (even if i drag Plex forums into the equation). I think you pretty much sums up everything i have been searching for on google past 6 months. So thank you very much for well explained information around this issue.

Workaround: Is there any kind of workaround to turn hardware acceleration on/off based of file encoder-type, i had a look into different XML-config files, hoping that i could maybe turn on/off if the file is encoded with VC1 for example?
It should also be reported on the Nvidia forum will a sample so they can reproduce
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-11-28, 17:43)frank_jarle Wrote: WOW, this is the best reply i ever have seen regarding MKV/VC1 issue on Android platform (even if i drag Plex forums into the equation). I think you pretty much sums up everything i have been searching for on google past 6 months. So thank you very much for well explained information around this issue.

Workaround: Is there any kind of workaround to turn hardware acceleration on/off based of file encoder-type, i had a look into different XML-config files, hoping that i could maybe turn on/off if the file is encoded with VC1 for example? 

Can you provide a sample which does not play well on shield?
Maybe binary cut 20MB from your file if it is too big, or provide an URL to an online media stream....
(2018-04-07, 19:29)dburckh Wrote: I have Sony TV and it appears the Kodi is not using the VC-1 codec included on my TV (OMX.MTK.VIDEO.DECODER.WMV,video/x-ms-wmv).  The same is true of VLC.  I believe it should be able to use it because of this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMV_HD

MX Player and the Sony Video's app play the file fine.

I can't say that I understand the internal structure of Kodi, but it appears Android is exposing the proper codec.  Is it possible to change Kodi to use either x-ms-wmv or vc1 of these as I believe they are nearly the same thing?
I can confirm that MX player can hardware decode some VC1 files. The player should use mediacodec API (it uses HW mode) as described here:
https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/faq...-HW-and-HW-

Amongst others I used this file:
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/hd-...dplus-5-1/

However also MX Player have some issues with some VC-1 files (glitches or no hardware decoding). The Sony video app plays all of them properly.

I saw on other android devices that the same soc decoder is used for WMV3 and VC-1 codecs which indeed belong to the same codec family (WMV9 is simple and main profile while VC-1 is advanced profile) as explained here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1

Apparently for Mediatek (the Sony TV chipset vendor), video/x-ms-wmv is the mime type for both WMV3 and VC-1.
I must rectify what I wrote. The documentation I posted on MX Player is not updated.
Looking at MX player log, I found out that in HW+ mode MX player tries to use Mediacodec API and MX player in Sony Bravia TV fails to work with both VC-1 files and WMV3 files (try to use OMX.MTK.VIDEO.DECODER.WMV). Instaed it uses HW mode to decode.
In HW mode MX player uses another method (I read it should be libstagefright).
Up
Hello everybody ,i have the same problèm ,i use minix u9h Android ,thé mxplayer play thé VC-1 Blu Ray rip without problèm
Kodi 18.6 + Kodi 18.7 Android just stuttering thé movie !!

Can this be fixed ?
Maybe a solution for use other vidéo player in Kodi ??
Can some expert tel me what i can do to play my Blu Ray rip how are vc-1 in Kodi Huh
Thank you

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV VC-1 playback issues0