Linux "Working" message during playback, unresponsive yet still plays
I have a ubuntu 14.04 system running Kodi 15.2.

In the last couple of days I have had some strange behavior. When playing back a file the "Working" message with that circle will stay on the screen, transparent, overtop of the playing video. When this happens Kodi will become completely unresponsive to any remote or keyboard commands, as if it has locked up. The video will still play correctly, all the way though to the end, at which point Kodi's menu will work properly again.

This doesn't happen for EVERY video, but at least half the time. I haven't noticed any pattern for file type, codec, etc.

I've searched and found nothing online about this problem, all my search terms come up with issues with playback...which ironically works fine.

How do I start troubleshooting?
You read Debug Log and handle accordingly.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I have the same issue and I have found that the Kodi remote for iOS will still function. This is not a fix but at least allows you to control the playback.
I have the same problem and I write in another post , I will copy it here.:
I have my GUI unresponsive too on Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and windows 10 64bit ,
the Linux PC is with AMD fusion E-350, windows PC is with Radeon R9 290.
Linux PC is with Radeon OSS driver, on windows PC with Crimson latest driver.
The most annoying thing is that sometimes the Linux PC freezes forever I can't even stop the video if the video is 10min. I must wait 10min video to end. ( it happens on youtube videos, tv shows, movies - doesn't matter)

here is my Log at pastebin.
http://pastebin.com/YP5B0FFg
I cut some of the lines there
From the start of the file to line 990 is the 1st part of the log starting 21:06 to 21:07 where GUI is not freezing on the freshly restarted system. But after 24h or maybe 12h problems starting again.
Problems starting from line 990 down. it's the next day (around 22h from the start). I never shutdown this PC. only restarts sometimes.
btw I didn't saw anything weird in the log

Some ppl said that they can control the player with android remote (kore) but remote control and keyboard remains unresponsive. also i red about high HDD activity in my case i dont see disk activity
Im now using Kodi 16 and it same unresponsive GUI "working" on windows and linux both.
I am running 15.2 Isenguard on Windows 8.1 and just recently (within the last week or so) started to get this issue too. Same behaviour - the video plays all the way through to the end, but Kodi is unresponsive via media centre remote commands and the annoying "Working" message appears onscreen all the way through the video. I've got the Kore remote app running on my Android phone, and Kodi will respond to commands from this without any delay (with this I can easily stop the video or do anything else), but without this I'd literally have to Task Manager > kill Kodi because it won't respond to the infared media centre remote at all.

I can't always recreate the issue (often restarting Kodi will mean the issue goes away for a while), and it can happen on ANY video, it's not specific files causing the behaviour and when the problem starts to happen it seemingly happens on every single video I attempt to play until restarting Kodi (or just rebooting Windows). I can't think of any recent changes I have made, and the files have always been located on the same NAS but the issue only recently started. I have been using the same version of Kodi for some time too. I have fiddled with the settings recently, but not sure that anything I changed could have caused it.

I can send over the full debug log if I can get it to recreate the issue - it never wants to do it when I've got debug logging turned on! Did anyone get to the bottom of this?
(2016-02-12, 15:36)lordzerg Wrote: Some ppl said that they can control the player with android remote (kore) but remote control and keyboard remains unresponsive.

I have found the exact same thing - Kore works fine, but keyboard/mouse/infared remote does nothing at all. The only thing the keyboard will let me do is Ctrl+Alt+Del to task kill Kodi or if I press Windows+D I can get back to the desktop and close Kodi that way. It's like Kodi has stopped listening for commands from those devices, but the web interface (via Kore app) works fine. As soon as the video has finished, the "Working" message goes away and Kodi returns to normal (keyboard/mouse/IR remote all work fine). So frustrating, as I don't want to reinstall - takes to long to set everything up again. And I don't want to upgrade to v 16 either - had some performance issues with it. 15.2 has been working perfectly for me up until now.
Something else worth noting - the "working" message sometimes freezes like it's going to stay onscreen, and you think the issue is about to occur again, but then the message disappears after a delay of 1-2 seconds or less. This never happened before, I barely even remember seeing the "working" message previously, I'm sure it flashed up and disappeared almost instantly before. It's like it's waiting for something to happen, and the "working" message freezes all input to Kodi until that *something* happens. Anyone know what it might be waiting for?
Is anyone else in here using a MySQL library? Wonder if this might be the issue.
OK, I'm pretty sure my issue is being caused by using a MySQL library. I'm going to put mine back to the local Kodi library and see how things improve.
All,

I am observing a very similar issue with my Kodi (Kodibuntu 64bit w/ Kodi upgraded to Jarvis).
While I don't have that "working" message being shown, I indeed suddenly have an unresponsive KBD and mouse.

The issue occurs with music playback after some time (> 5 minutes) when mouse/kbd suddenly become unresponsive while the playlist playback itself still works fine. The mouse + kbd are USB devices attached directly to the unit (no hub, etc.). I am NOT using a MySQL-based library.

Has anyone a suggestion on how to further investigate this issue?

TIA, Cheers,
Thomas
I never worked out what was causing my issue. I reinstalled Kodi in the end and the problem went away. I am still using the same MySQL library so it's not related to that I don't think.
Hi, thanks for giving that info!
I am wondering if it has something to do with USB power management (from the underlying Ubuntu) but that would not explain why it sometimes occurs for some people with some movies but not with all. And honestly, I can't imagine that Kodi fails to announce program/thread activity back to the OS, which would probably cause that USB powersave to occur. But maybe my OS install is quirky under the hood ... I'm not a Linux geek. I'll give it a try to see if the behaviour changes then.

Again, thanks, KR,
Thomas

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Working" message during playback, unresponsive yet still plays0