Skinning tutorials for Kodi?
Quote:Not try to stir anything but I found it rude that they laughed at you for saying the tutorial wasn't "deep" enough. I had the same thought when I looked at it. The guide is a good general outline of what you should do when creating a skin but there is almost no info on how to actually do it. Nothing explaining XML files and how they work etc.

You're supposed to read it and actually put effort in to learn something, not just look at it. Obviously the latter is what you did.

What info are you expecting on this exactly? Edit Confluence files, study them, see what happens when you change things, get to know the skinning engine, then ultimately create your own. There's not going to be any shortcuts or holding your hand on every step of the way. I don't understand how you can expect it to be. It's called creativity and putting effort in. You want a point and click solution allowing you to crap out a skin in a couple of days. It's not going to happen.

Quote:To someone used to XML skinning it would make sense but to anyone else it would be very hard to follow (like the OP, or myself)

Then explain to me how any of the skinners around here managed to learn? There's no such thing as "XML skinning", everybody around here had to learn at some point. Some may have had prior coding experience, but noone was born with the knowledge to make Kodi skins.

Quote:I to have spent TONS of time setting up my XBMC only for it to completely change and my skin breaks etc. Long ago I used MQ3 and had a nice custom setup for some things, but I had a data loss and I didn't come back to XBMC til much later. I found that nothing worked anymore and the skin system to be changed and also I couldn't even just go download old XBMC version and use that.

What does this have to do with learning to skin? You left XBMC for a long time and found out it had developed?

Frankly, I have a pretty low tolerance for posts / threads like this. It seems this "world" is divided into two kinds of people. People willing to truly learn and invest time and effort and people that don't. You can keep repeating the same old arguments about how only people that know how to code understand, but there's proof all around you of this being false. And even if people have previous coding experience, that doesn't mean you automatically "get" Kodi skinning either. For the same reason you don't know how to speak Spanish just because you know how to speak German.

Also worth noting is that the process of (learning) skinning is something you should enjoy. You need to like the creation process (so including the learning) and feel excited when something is working the way you intended it especially because you have learned how to do it. If you think of skinning purely as a means to get your own skin, then it probably simply isn't something you were meant to do.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Skinning tutorials for Kodi? - by ShoRyuKen - 2015-11-08, 22:59
RE: Skinning tutorials for Kodi? - by Hitcher - 2015-11-08, 23:06
RE: Skinning tutorials for Kodi? - by ronie - 2015-11-08, 23:16
RE: Skinning tutorials for Kodi? - by ronie - 2015-11-09, 02:20
RE: Skinning tutorials for Kodi? - by Jayz2K - 2015-11-11, 17:47
RE: Skinning tutorials for Kodi? - by Jayz2K - 2015-11-11, 18:55
RE: Skinning tutorials for Kodi? - by ronie - 2015-12-17, 19:11
RE: Skinning tutorials for Kodi? - by Jeroen - 2015-11-10, 21:47
RE: Skinning tutorials for Kodi? - by Torben - 2015-11-10, 21:52