• 4(current)
Where to report illegal use of KODI?
Nhaa - still not very happy with that answer.
What I mean is that on the one hand Kodi is reporting certain so-called 'blacklisted' addons but on the other hand it allows for those addons to be installed.
It's like Virus Protection software that informs you about a virus but allowing it to be installed on your PC with the excuse that they just wanted to inform you that they distance themselves from the virus...heehee

Fair enough if you think anyone can do whatever they want at home - I'm not attacking you on that. All I'm saying is Kodi should practice what it preachers otherwise don't bother to publish a 'blacklist' - or is it just 'show': Kodi knowing that without those blacklisted addons they will loose most of their following...

Come on Kodi - shows us you are serious about fighting piracy and block the banned addons
(2017-05-02, 15:25)piratebuster Wrote: Nhaa - still not very happy with that answer.
What I mean is that on the one hand Kodi is reporting certain so-called 'blacklisted' addons but on the other hand it allows for those addons to be installed.
It's like Virus Protection software that informs you about a virus but allowing it to be installed on your PC with the excuse that they just wanted to inform you that they distance themselves from the virus...heehee

Fair enough if you think anyone can do whatever they want at home - I'm not attacking you on that. All I'm saying is Kodi should practice what it preachers otherwise don't bother to publish a 'blacklist' - or is it just 'show': Kodi knowing that without those blacklisted addons they will loose most of their following...

Come on Kodi - shows us you are serious about fighting piracy and block the banned addons
Is it really that hard to understand?
The bottom line - discussing illegal stuff on this site puts this project at risk. Nobody wants that.
Hence the ban.
(2017-05-02, 15:25)piratebuster Wrote: Come on Kodi - shows us you are serious about fighting piracy and block the banned addons

How are they to do that? Kodi is open source software, the source code is freely available and can be modified by anybody in any way they see fit.

Any measures put into Kodi by the devs to prevent certain add-ons from working can be trivially stripped out by anybody who chooses to. Adding such a block in the code would be 'for show', and a waste of time.
(2017-05-02, 16:57)twelvebore Wrote:
(2017-05-02, 15:25)piratebuster Wrote: Come on Kodi - shows us you are serious about fighting piracy and block the banned addons

How are they to do that? Kodi is open source software, the source code is freely available and can be modified by anybody in any way they see fit.

Any measures put into Kodi by the devs to prevent certain add-ons from working can be trivially stripped out by anybody who chooses to. Adding such a block in the code would be 'for show', and a waste of time.

It is also totally against the whole spirit of open source software.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
as long as the add-on to be reported is not in our official repository or otherwise discussed/provided on our website, we don't really care about them. So no, there is no such form to report piracy add-ons
(2017-05-02, 15:25)piratebuster Wrote: Nhaa - still not very happy with that answer.

And that is were you go off the tracks. We are not interest in "fighting piracy" and our stance has always been that we neither condone or condemn it. We (as a collective) are neutral on the issue.

What we are serious about is protecting the Kodi trademark and not having the Kodi name associated with piracy.

There's also a difference in letting someone come in you house and piss on your rugs vs. giving them a rug to take home & piss on it there.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-05-02, 14:05)piratebuster Wrote:
Quote:It's the same form you'd use to report ThePirateBay to Mozilla.

Thanks - you remark could be taken as witty as well so not sure Smile
I was thinking of something more specific to Kodi. Surely Kodi has a role to play when it comes to
illegal addons specific to their software if you look at this post:

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/scie...oad-Add-On

Reporting something to your chosen Browser seems a bit fuzzy...not?

What beats me is that in spite of the list of banned Repositories and Add-ons, it is still possible to install them onto Kodi.
Does the left hand not know what the right hand is doing??

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons
Because Kodi is open source and:

1. Removing or restricting the ability to install addons would result in the code being forked and the ability put right back in; and

2. Removing or restricting the ability to install addons would restrict legitimate uses (and users) of addons.

PS you know why Amazon banned sales don't you?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Fair enough if you think anyone can do whatever they want at home - I'm not attacking you on that. All I'm saying is Kodi should practice what it preachers otherwise don't bother to publish a 'blacklist'
Kodi does not come with any content addons preinstalled, and Kodi's own official addon repo ("app store" if you will) does not contain any banned/illegal addons:

https://kodi.tv/addons

Kodi does however allow 'sideloading' which allow users themselves to install banned/illegal addons if they so should choose, but you first have to activate sideloading in Kodi's GUI settings which then gives you a warning. Now please go complain to to Google and all manufacturers of Android phones, tablets, and televisions that allow 'sideloading' banned/illegal apps in exactly the same way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideloading
https://9to5google.com/2017/01/23/how-to...ad-an-apk/
https://www.howtogeek.com/280763/how-to-...ndroid-tv/

All you have to do on any Android phone, tablet, or television is go into the settings, scroll down and tap on Security, and there toggle to allow "Unknown sources". Again, Kodi has this too, and this puts the resposibility of what addons or apps are installed on your own device fully on the end-user. You hhere ave to understand that 'sideloading' as a feature is not only used by pirates, as it is also used to install legal addons that are not in the official Kodi repo for whatever other reason, as well as by addon developers and alpha/beta testers of addons.

What you are suggesting is to remove the possibility to allow 'sideloading' from an free and open source software. An act which would only would only lead to 'forking', meaning software else (who withoout much coding skills needed ) would simplky take the Kodi code and add that feature back again and release copies with that feature back in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(soft...velopment)

Who honestly is too naive to think that you legally get music, movies or tv shows that you normally have to pay for for free just because you 'sideload' an app or addon? At least the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) have ruled that the playing dumb card does not work, if you install addons that allow you to watch paid content for free then you are willing and knowing breaking the law.

(2017-05-02, 15:25)piratebuster Wrote: or is it just 'show': Kodi knowing that without those blacklisted addons they will loose most of their following...

Come on! Now with comments like that you are just clearly trolling without even trying to hide it.

Don't feed the troll!

Your refund is available at the door.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Googled to see what chatter exists re Kodi on Xbox One using a few search terms and oddly came across https://www.boxkodi.com/.
Obviously these $%#&& are not affiliated with the N.F.P. Kodi org since they are selling fully loaded boxes but they are trading on the Kodi trademark as such and need to be thumped if at all possible.
Here is what ICANN WHOIS knows of this domain.

So does or can Kodi contact ICANN and get this offending domain name with it's use of the Kodi tradmark ripped from the web?
I know it's a bit of a whack a mole but IIUC unless Kodi defend their trademark it becomes diluted and then unenforcable down the track.
I'm a XBMC novice :)
(2017-06-28, 07:14)skylarking Wrote: Googled to see what chatter exists re Kodi on Xbox One using a few search terms and oddly came across https://www.boxkodi.com/.
Obviously these $%#&& are not affiliated with the N.F.P. Kodi org since they are selling fully loaded boxes but they are trading on the Kodi trademark as such and need to be thumped if at all possible.
Here is what ICANN WHOIS knows of this domain.

So does or can Kodi contact ICANN and get this offending domain name with it's use of the Kodi tradmark ripped from the web?
I know it's a bit of a whack a mole but IIUC unless Kodi defend their trademark it becomes diluted and then unenforcable down the track.

To perform a UDRP the XBMC Foundation would have to do a donation campaign kind of like GoFundMe with no promises that ICANN would rule in their favor.
(2017-05-03, 09:53)RockerC Wrote: Who honestly is too naive to think that you legally get music, movies or tv shows that you normally have to pay for for free just because you 'sideload' an app or addon? At least the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) have ruled that the playing dumb card does not work, if you install addons that allow you to watch paid content for free then you are willing and knowing breaking the law.

I understand your point with movies and tv shows, but as for music.. here in Canada, anyway.. we're allowed to download music. It's why we pay an industry tax on blank cd's. Just sayin'.
It's illegal in Netherlands to download and additional we still pay tax on empty discs. Just saying
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
When it comes to dealers selling pre-loaded boxes, don't they need Team Kodi's permission to sell them with add-ons to begin with? I thought that was in the GPL(?).
(2017-07-10, 21:41)Martijn Wrote: It's illegal in Netherlands to download and additional we still pay tax on empty discs. Just saying

"Legality
Important distinctions have been made about the legality of downloading versus uploading copyrighted material as well as "musical works" versus other copyrighted material. In general, the unauthorized copying or distribution of copyrighted material for profit is illegal under Canada's Copyright Act, however the act also states under the section "Copying for Private Use ... onto an audio recording medium for the private use of the person who makes the copy does not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the musical work, the performer’s performance or the sound recording.". Furthermore, the Act contains a Private Copying exception that makes it legal to copy a sound recording onto an "audio recording medium" for the personal use of the person making the copy. This is supported by a levy on blank audio recording media, which is distributed to record labels and musicians." - wikipedia.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where to report illegal use of KODI?0