• 2(current)
Where to report illegal use of KODI?
(2015-11-13, 18:09)spoyser Wrote:
(2015-11-13, 17:29)ricarleite Wrote: This is really puzzling. Do they find a breach or loophole in the law to do these? It's not like they are actually selling the movies...

In the UK it is called 'facilitating' which I believe is technically illegal, but usually a slap on the wrist is the penalty

From what I've read of the draft of the new EU charter for piracy, you'll be able to be prosecuted for also providing access to pirated material, regardless of you being the 'uploader' or not, if you are making an income from providing those links. I guess selling 'fully loaded' boxes will fall under this, as the seller is making money while providing access to the pirated material. I'm not sure what the punishment would be though, as the charter hasn't even been passed yet, but I believe it is meant so that harsher punishments can be handed out.

We'll see if/when it comes in.
I must say these laws are quite strange. Especially while we seem to think its ok for the industry to maintain some sort of cartel

Suppose you buy a legal dvd player here. You then want to buy a dvd for movie X, legally. You discover that the €25 dvd costs only 1€ in Singapore. So you buy it there. Legally. But you cant play it on your player coz the industry crooks made it impossible with the region code in the player that doesnt match the dvds code. Thats only done to maintain huge price differences.

Now who are the biggest criminals??
(2015-11-13, 19:11)Miguix Wrote: I must say these laws are quite strange. Especially while we seem to think its ok for the industry to maintain some sort of cartel

Suppose you buy a legal dvd player here. You then want to buy a dvd for movie X, legally. You discover that the €25 dvd costs only 1€ in Singapore. So you buy it there. Legally. But you cant play it on your player coz the industry crooks made it impossible with the region code in the player that doesnt match the dvds code. Thats only done to maintain huge price differences.

I'd say still the pirate. I mean, what you describe is dumb and irritating, but it's not criminal. If there were region locks on life giving medicine, I'd say you have a point, but nobody is forcing you to watch a movie you bought in Singapore.
(2015-11-13, 21:13)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-11-13, 19:11)Miguix Wrote: I must say these laws are quite strange. Especially while we seem to think its ok for the industry to maintain some sort of cartel

I'd say still the pirate. I mean, what you describe is dumb and irritating, but it's not criminal. If there were region locks on life giving medicine, I'd say you have a point, but nobody is forcing you to watch a movie you bought in Singapore.

You are missing my point. Which is, there are hidden price agreements or otherwise artificiay and orchestrated high prices.

Let me explain again. Suppose i wana watch last part of Hunger Games on that dvd player. Dvd is just released and costs €30 here. I notice its cheaper in Singapore (€3) and buy it there (regardless how i do that - webshop, biy while travel etc). I wana watch legally purchased dvd on my player here. And i cant on account of region code. I have to buy it here at 10x the price. That IS crime. You just say it isnt coz you and everybdy else dont know any better. Coz we have been screwed up our backside for decades amd think thats normal.

Its not! Its a frigging rip off. As long as that exists, i dont think anybody in the industry is in a position to whine about piracy.
It might be a rip off. It's not a crime.
It is legal to get around region locking in new zealand.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-11-13, 22:12)natethomas Wrote: It might be a rip off. It's not a crime.

Thats the whole point - it should be seen as a crime. Its the same thing as price fixing arrangements (pretty much cartel-forming)
We just so bloody stupid to accept it as legal action
I remember when this thread was about reporting illegal use of Kodi. Those were the days.
Sorry it was a company selling an Android box fully loaded with KODI and Plugins, but I dont think they are online anymore...
I believe this was the company...

https://www.teevee.io/
Did anyone see this in the playstore? https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ator&hl=en
(2015-11-13, 21:59)Miguix Wrote:
(2015-11-13, 21:13)natethomas Wrote:

You are missing my point. Which is, there are hidden price agreements or otherwise artificiay and orchestrated high prices.

Let me explain again. Suppose i wana watch last part of Hunger Games on that dvd player. Dvd is just released and costs €30 here. I notice its cheaper in Singapore (€3) and buy it there (regardless how i do that - webshop, biy while travel etc). I wana watch legally purchased dvd on my player here. And i cant on account of region code. I have to buy it here at 10x the price. That IS crime. You just say it isnt coz you and everybdy else dont know any better. Coz we have been screwed up our backside for decades amd think thats normal.

Its not! Its a frigging rip off. As long as that exists, i dont think anybody in the industry is in a position to whine about piracy.

It is the legislative branch under intense lobbying from commercial interests that creates such law and allow these entities to make money hands over fists. Same thing happens in the pharmaceutical field, drugs manufactured and sold by the same lab are cheaper in Canada.
(2015-11-09, 19:16)da-anda Wrote: just write here - we don't have a official form for it.

FYI, here is a report of a "fully loaded KODI box" <link removed>
(2016-03-17, 00:03)stringlefellow Wrote: Did anyone see this in the playstore? <link removed>

And their website, <link removed>. I looked at the Google Play reporting mechanism, and - once again - it assumes you're the trademark holder, not an interested party. That's something to ponder IMO.
(2016-03-18, 00:00)Prof Yaffle Wrote:
(2016-03-17, 00:03)stringlefellow Wrote: Did anyone see this in the playstore? <link removed>

And their website, <link removed> I looked at the Google Play reporting mechanism, and - once again - it assumes you're the trademark holder, not an interested party. That's something to ponder IMO.

You can, and indeed I did, report it under violation of the Play Store policies:- 'Intellectual Property, Deception, and Spam’ policy, specifically 'Encouraging Infringement of Copyright'. It's a nice workaround for those of us who can't report it for trademark violation. (Whilst making it clear in my report that Kodi itself doesn't violate this policy, but rather this 'app' modifies Kodi with add-ons that aren't available in a vanilla install that do)
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where to report illegal use of KODI?0