• 5(current)
Where to report illegal use of KODI?
Yes, although they almost certainly won't get it.

See the wiki for details - Official:Trademark Policy (wiki)
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-07-10, 21:43)greenbag Wrote: When it comes to dealers selling pre-loaded boxes, don't they need Team Kodi's permission to sell them with add-ons to begin with? I thought that was in the GPL(?).
No, nothing in the GPL prevents you selling boxes or adding addons. However our trademark policy does prevent this, if the selller is using the term "Kodi" or our logos.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-10, 22:10)DarrenHill Wrote: Yes, although they almost certainly won't get it.

See the wiki for details - Official:Trademark Policy (wiki)

So.. if certain parties are advertising boxes, loaded with Kodi.. and 3rd party add-ons.. they are breaking the agreement. 'Greater Vancouver Buy & Sell' group on Facebook has a few of them. I pointed out the section 4.3 to one of them.. then (to no surprise) had my post deleted, then I was blocked. lol. Throw the book at 'em. Smile
(2017-07-10, 22:14)nickr Wrote:
(2017-07-10, 21:43)greenbag Wrote: When it comes to dealers selling pre-loaded boxes, don't they need Team Kodi's permission to sell them with add-ons to begin with? I thought that was in the GPL(?).
No, nothing in the GPL prevents you selling boxes or adding addons. However our trademark policy does prevent this, if the selller is using the term "Kodi" or our logos.

4.3 in your policy says they need your permission before distributing with add-ons.

"4.3 Add-ons, Skins and other extensions
At the same time as we seek community involvement in the development of the XBMC Foundation products, we want to protect the reputation of these products as high-quality and lightweight, with simple, usable interfaces. If you want to ship add-ons, skins or other extensions installed by default or as part of the same installation process as the XBMC Foundation products, and you plan on distributing them under any XBMC Foundation Marks, you must first seek approval from us. What we find acceptable will depend on the effect of the add-ons, skins and other extensions on the XBMC Foundation product. To give examples, changing the skin of one product to another, equally high-quality and aesthetically pleasing skin would be considered. A combination of various add-ons with intrusive pop-up boxes, with loud and distracting UI sounds, probably wouldn't be. See our Partners page to find out more about contacting us to discuss your proposed changes."
(2017-07-10, 22:19)greenbag Wrote:
(2017-07-10, 22:14)nickr Wrote:

4.3 in your policy says they need your permission before distributing with add-ons.

At the same time as we seek community involvement in the development of the XBMC Foundation products, we want to protect the reputation of these products as high-quality and lightweight, with simple, usable interfaces. If you want to ship add-ons, skins or other extensions installed by default or as part of the same installation process as the XBMC Foundation products, and you plan on distributing them under any XBMC Foundation Marks, you must first seek approval from us. What we find acceptable will depend on the effect of the add-ons, skins and other extensions on the XBMC Foundation product. To give examples, changing the skin of one product to another, equally high-quality and aesthetically pleasing skin would be considered. A combination of various add-ons with intrusive pop-up boxes, with loud and distracting UI sounds, probably wouldn't be. See our Partners page to find out more about contacting us to discuss your proposed changes."

Yeah.....it has nothing to do with GPL, the trademark covers this. He was just making a correction.
(2017-07-10, 23:06)Fail$tyle420 Wrote:
(2017-07-10, 22:19)greenbag Wrote:
(2017-07-10, 22:14)nickr Wrote: No, nothing in the GPL prevents you selling boxes or adding addons. However our trademark policy does prevent this, if the selller is using the term "Kodi" or our logos.

Yeah.....it has nothing to do with GPL, the trademark covers this. He was just making a correction.

Yeah.. I got them mixed up. Tongue
Right on TorrentFreak, any time anything even slightly mentioning pirate streaming comes up, "Thisguy1337" will advertise thousands of pirate streaming devices on eBay, as he says, blessed by the approval of "Proactive PayPal." Is XBMC Foundation trying to do anything to stem the tide of these sales on eBay, and the continued promotion on the TF Discussions?

The Reputation score of my Disqus account got wrecked badly in retaliation for me flagging those posts as spam.
Quote:Is XBMC Foundation trying to do anything to stem the tide of these sales on eBay
yes
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
This guy has been a bit careful about use of the word Kodi but its still on his site, and clearly displayed in images. This guy has made 6 figures off of selling boxes. He has a friggin physical store opened.
http://nltigertv.com
(2017-08-08, 03:10)codo27 Wrote: This guy has been a bit careful about use of the word Kodi but its still on his site, and clearly displayed in images. This guy has made 6 figures off of selling boxes. He has a friggin physical store opened.
http://nltigertv.com

In the FAQ’s it says that it comes with stock kodi on it, Well it says.
Quote:By default, the XBMC/Kodi component comes un-configured

What might be concerning is their email [email protected]
But this is a Canadian company and the XBMC foundation does not have the word mark for the word “Kodi” so I don’t think there is anything to be done.
@Karellen- Advertisement(?) removed

Just saw this jailbroken Firestick/Kodi ad on Facebook tonight. ConfusedShocked
What a revelation... another copy and paste of the 1,000's of ads out there. YAWN.
Another site advertising a "kodi box" http://koditips.com/jynxbox-kodi-android-box-review/

And the seller advertising it as a kodi box https://www.jynxbox.me/product/jynbox-j9...-kodi-box/
I've been active on a discussion thread in the "Chilliwack 24hr Bidding" facebook group (which has seen a number of "KODI" boxes posted) on this topic. Some are claim the Kodi developers don't care about this anymore....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/38281066...995114239/
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where to report illegal use of KODI?0