• 4(current)
1Ghz CPU Xbox but XBMC reads it as 733mhz, help fixing?
dingob Wrote:@ Shonk,

Since it sounds like you have one, can you comment on how the 1 Ghz CPU handles 720p vs regular xbox?

Can anybody with a 1 ghz in their xbox comment on this. Please give details of playback etc if you can.
shonk, how about 1920x1080i mpeg2? if you want I can provide a sample
ultrabrutal Wrote:shonk, how about 1920x1080i mpeg2? if you want I can provide a sample

give me a link to any files you want tested
or you could do a search for 1080i on the various torrent trackers, there are pleanty to go around Wink if not let me know
TheIrishLad Wrote:Forgot to Add, This is the processor -> http://processorfinder.intel.com/details...Spec=SL5TF

How is it possible that you got the SL5TF to run at 1 GHz in the Xbox?

AFAIK the normal XBOX cpu is 733 MHz running when running at 133 MHz FSB (which is the XBOX FSB). This implies a FSB clock multiplier of 5.5 ( 133*5.5 = 733 Mhz) for the stock XBOX CPU.

The CPU you have linked to above has a multiplier of 10 (when running without Speedstep). So unless the FSB of the XBOX has been reduced from 133 MHz to 100 MHz, your new CPU should be running at 133*10 = 1330 MHz and not 1 GHz.

Are you sure that you are running 1 GHz and not 1.33 GHz?
The gentleman who has done the mod is named Trusty.

He explains the details in his thread at x-s.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s...2431&st=90

Since, AFAIK, he is the only person to perform these mods, your best bet at an answer is there.

I went forward and got one of these. For my purposes (better media playback, 720p media capabilities) I don't think it was really worth it.
dingob Wrote:I went forward and got one of these. For my purposes (better media playback, 720p media capabilities) I don't think it was really worth it.

Thanks for the info. I will post a question at xbox-scene.

Could you elaborate a bit on what improvements you experienced in regards to 720p and HD playback with your upgraded Xbox?
I haven't really experimented with everything, as I was mostly interested in H264. I've got various files I've tested with, and the point is, essentially, that I'm not getting any improvement at all.
dingob Wrote:I haven't really experimented with everything, as I was mostly interested in H264. I've got various files I've tested with, and the point is, essentially, that I'm not getting any improvement at all.

Dam! Sad not what I wanted to hear... I was considering this upgrade..... Hmmm I would of thought that the extra cpu power and memory would have made a bigger difference.. Huh shame Trusty cant shoe horn a faster cpu in there!
dingob, I'm having a hard time believing that a CPU which is probably more than 50% faster than the stock CPU is resulting in no improvement.
Did you update XBMC. As far as I recall some changes was done so that speed was set correctly now or something.
I'm interrested in testing this CPU upgrade with my HD content. Do you want to sell your main board? Where are you located?
I have a hard time believing that too.. Give dvd player a go on those pesky clips. it actually outperforms mplayer now on many clips (since last update of it's codec). Doubtfull it would gain anything more than mplayer on a new cpu thou.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I'll try to get some screenshots or something on my regular box vs. the upgrade. I don't understand what's happening. On several clips, the framerate is the same, but the upgraded CPU reports that it is continuously dropping frames (but it's not.)
elupus, I tried playing some of my downloaded 1280x720p oar divx/xvid movies that had problems with framedrops on mplayer, with the new dvdplayer codec. I was happy to find that scenes that before was dropping heavy number of frames, now are dropping 0. Or maybe it is dropping a few frames (some times looks like it) but the counter stays at 0. Clips are watchable and I'm not even sure there are frame drops or if I'm imaginging it.
In one very high bitrate movie, which was unwatchable before, there were a few dropouts in the sound. Not sure if it is there in the source - havent tests with a PC. CPU use never got above 97%

What I did notice was that there was a bad audio sync problem with dvdplayer codec. It appeared to become worse as the movie progressed. Did you notice this too? This was in more than one movie - movies which are in sync with mplayer codec (tested with your own version) (besides the need for a -0.3 ajustment as with most clips I play)
dvdplayer shouldn't have any desync problems aslong as it can keep up.... that said, it is currently not good enough at knowing when to drop frames to keep sync if it is forced to to do it alot. it only drops frame if it notices an output frame is late. you should be able to see the current state in the info bar under a/v:.

it is still dropping frames, just it's doing it during decoding. currently i haven't figured out how to notice when libavcodec drops a frame internally. it's abit tricky, so the counter is wrong + this is what causes the audio desync, as i'm not able to drop enough frames to back into sync. anyway will have another go at it.

i still find that -0.3 adjustment odd.. is that for both mplayer and dvdplayer? also are you using analog or digital output? if you have it set to digital, the analog output will have a wrong sync when they do give some audio.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Actually I believe there probably are no noticable improvements...or that somehow XBMC is simply not utilizing the extra processing power since I have a DX1480 so the processor I have is even faster and I don't see any difference between my box and a normal xbox when it comes to playing hd content...is this possible that maybe some timer or something in xbmc's core is hardcoded for the 733Mhz processor since that was probably expected to be the only processor ever in the Xbox?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1Ghz CPU Xbox but XBMC reads it as 733mhz, help fixing?2