Bricked Asus Chromebox?
(2018-03-30, 18:17)Soli Wrote: Hi Matt.
I tried to restore a CN60 back to ChromeOS. Seems for some reason that I bricked It. (I've done this a few times, everything checked out so I guess I was just unlucky). So I have to restore the firmware with a soic8 programmer. I guess I'll find the firmware location somewhere in your script, but when using flashrom with either a RPI, or a 341 usb programmer: Do I have to do anything to keep the VPD?

Edit: by pressing ctrl-l i can get the seabios "press esc" text, but just for a split second. Even though I am hammering that esc button, the display just shuts off and nothing happens.

Edit: tried to remove the ssd and press ctrl-l at boot:

I cannot get to the boot menu. (Even though the legacy payload is set to boot from USB, it doesn't)
 I'm not sure why you think it's bricked, it's simply booting to the stock SeaBIOS, which is broken (hence your keyboard not working to press ESC).  Press CTRL+D on boot before SeaBIOS loads to boot ChromeOS, then use my script to reset the boot flags to factory defaults (so it won't boot SeaBIOS by default anymore).  That's it!
Well just after I read your answer I just pressed ctrl+d, and then the recovery screen popped up. The TV wasnt even on HDMI input. Just noticed it after I switched input on the TV. But I had to turn it off because the ssd wasnt installed. And now I can't duplicate it, maybe I need a corded keyboard?
After around 100 tries I managed to get into the recovery screen. In the end I was button mashing like crazy. Ctrl+L worked everytime (and got me that non working seabios text). CTRL+D was really tricky. Now to try doing it once more after ChromeOS has been restored😀
Matt: the Wiki isn't totally clear about this.
But when restoring from a standalone firmware to original firmware, wouldn't it be logical to also set everything to defaults. I shouldn't be needing to press CTRL-D (twice, once for recovery, and second to boot chromeos dev to run your script a last time to set up the defaults)
(2018-03-31, 14:30)Soli Wrote: Matt: the Wiki isn't totally clear about this.
But when restoring from a standalone firmware to original firmware, wouldn't it be logical to also set everything to defaults. I shouldn't be needing to press CTRL-D (twice, once for recovery, and second to boot chromeos dev to run your script a last time to set up the defaults)
 no, if restoring from your own backup, then the GBB flags/boot options are as you left them.  If restoring using the script-provided firmware, the flags are set such that the firmware won't trigger any rollback warnings should it be older than the version you had at the time of flashing, and gives the OS a chance to update things before the defaults are restored.  But those defaults auto-boot ChromeOS, not SeaBIOS, so I'm guessing you restored your own backup.
Hi Matt, no I didn't restore my own backup. But it didn't matter. In the end I found out that the Chromebox needed to connect to a PC monitor to display any image. I tried with an older plasma, and a newer LCD TV. No picture displayed even though I heard the 2 beeps. Can it be that the Chromebox might have halted the dev mode, and subsequent boot to the OS because of a missing display. (I guess the OS didn't boot since the keyboard didn't light up, which it did after I connected the Chromebox to my Asus monitor). Also, there might be some weird quirk going on. On the dev screen, the keyboard wouldn't initialize at all. I tried with a MS wireless keyboard (very basic hid device no drivers required), a logitech corded keyboard, and a Logitech g710+ keyboard. I couldn't even press space to disable dev mode. In the end I just disabled dev mode from the command line, so it worked out fine. I think the command was

sudo crossystem disable_dev_request=1
(2018-03-30, 18:17)Soli Wrote: Hi Matt.
I tried to restore a CN60 back to ChromeOS. Seems for some reason that I bricked It. (I've done this a few times, everything checked out so I guess I was just unlucky). So I have to restore the firmware with a soic8 programmer. I guess I'll find the firmware location somewhere in your script, but when using flashrom with either a RPI, or a 341 usb programmer: Do I have to do anything to keep the VPD?

Edit: by pressing ctrl-l i can get the seabios "press esc" text, but just for a split second. Even though I am hammering that esc button, the display just shuts off and nothing happens.

Edit: tried to remove the ssd and press ctrl-l at boot:
I cannot get to the boot menu. (Even though the legacy payload is set to boot from USB, it doesn't)

I have the same issue with a second hand CN60 I bought that comes with Windows 10 OS. I planned to upgrade the SSD as it only used 16GB of storage, so I bought a 128GB and replaced the stock storage. Then that's the time when my issue appeared. I won't be able to boot in USB it was stuck in the SEAbios, from the Boot Option Menu no device listed.
Badly need your help, even though I returned the stock ssd storage it won't boot anymore to Windows.
Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.

First timer only. :-)
(2019-12-06, 12:27)iamallancg Wrote: I have the same issue with a second hand CN60 I bought that comes with Windows 10 OS. I planned to upgrade the SSD as it only used 16GB of storage, so I bought a 128GB and replaced the stock storage. Then that's the time when my issue appeared. I won't be able to boot in USB it was stuck in the SEAbios, from the Boot Option Menu no device listed.
Badly need your help, even though I returned the stock ssd storage it won't boot anymore to Windows.

* boot Linux USB (ubuntu is fine)
* update to latest UEFI firmware using EZ Setup Script
* install Windows on new SSD
(2019-12-07, 01:16)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-12-06, 12:27)iamallancg Wrote: I have the same issue with a second hand CN60 I bought that comes with Windows 10 OS. I planned to upgrade the SSD as it only used 16GB of storage, so I bought a 128GB and replaced the stock storage. Then that's the time when my issue appeared. I won't be able to boot in USB it was stuck in the SEAbios, from the Boot Option Menu no device listed.

* boot Linux USB (ubuntu is fine)
* update to latest UEFI firmware using EZ Setup Script
* install Windows on new SSD
I seem to be having a similar issue, I hope it's OK to resurrect an old post, I wonder what I need to do to boot from a USB key on the Asus CN60, I had the original 16gb with Libreelec Seabios version 1.7.5-120, I have tried multiple keyboards and press escape to enter the boot menu without success.

I have upgraded the Sata ssd and tried the below:

I have tried booting from widows 10 and Unbuntu bootable discs using multiple USB keys without success.

Can anyone help with the process please, I am trying to repurpose this box and so far no go...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bricked Asus Chromebox?0