How to and where to put an autostart.sh script
Hi,

I am hoping someone a lot smarter then me can provide me some guidance. I am running Openelec 6 on an intel NUC, that connects to my NAS, via ethernet, shared via SMB using Openelecs built in smb sharing.

For the longest time this has worked perfectly fine but I just had my internet upgraded to a faster speed which included a new router/modem. Since the new router install, it seems openelec starts faster then the network is ready and I get a timed out error when trying to acces my shared drives.

I had an issue back when I was running Openelec 5 where the SMB in openelec stopped working and I used the add network location, instead of the browse smb option and used my NAS login info. This fixed that issue back then, but when I tried it this time, the error still happened which leads me to believe that the network connection is taking longer and Openelec gives up waiting for it. Another thing I have noticed is that there are times that Openelec wil connect normally with the NAS after running for a few minutes. Also, If I reboot the NAS, Openelec wil see the drives on first boot without issue, but the next boot I get the timed out error.

I am going to try using the delay Kodi until network is discovered option when I get home later today, but I have read in multiple places while I was researching this issue that this does not always work and that I should use an autostart.sh script (I have posted the info I found below)

I tried the wait for network option in the openelec settings, but it did not seem to work for me.

Only when I added autostart.sh
#!/bin/sh

# Wait for network to come online....
# The option in OpenELEC to wait for network doesn't work yet.
while true ; do
if ifconfig eth0 | grep -q "inet addr:" ; then
echo "Network is up!"
break
else
sleep 1
fi
done

I have googled autostart.sh and I have yet to find any clear info on how to create etc this script so I was hoping someone could simply explain the following if its not to much trouble.

1) Where would I find this script in OpenElec( I can access openelec via my mac over the network and I have succsesfully added a keymap for my harmony remote so I am comfortable doing this)

2)If there is no autostart.sh script by default in OpeneElec, where would I save this script after creating it.

3)If I have to create this script how and with what program would I do this on a mac. Would I just copy and paste the one I noted above into the script, or do i need to make one specific for my situation?

4) If there is an autostart.sh script, how would i modify it to add the above.

Any help anyone could give me with this would be amazing and greatly appreciated. Or, if someone has any other ideas I would love to hear them.

Many thanks
To make a long story short Wink

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Autostart.sh

you have to create it. It's all in that wiki
Hi David1977, thank you for the quick response.

I actually did come across that wiki while I was googling the heck out of y problem. Unfortunately, this just left me with more questions, such as just use nano, well what is nano. I googled that but I'm not sure if its a programming language, just using the word nano in front like on the wiki? I apologise I have no experience "coding or writing script" I just have some experience in browsing and pasting pre made files, scripts etc in their proper place in kodi.

Unfortunately the wiki does not clearly tell me where I would put this script after I create it and how to crete it, would I use notepadd, text editor, notepad ++? Also, It doesn't tell me what commands I should put in, can I just use the one above in my original post?

I apologise for being dificult, but I was thouroughly confused when I was reading about autostart script, and after re reading the wiki several times I am even more confused.

Thank you for trying to help I appreciate it.
nano is an editor.

You can use it like this:

1. switch to the folder where you want to create the file (done with 'cd' (without the quotes))
2. then enter: nano autostart.sh
3. if all is entered then press CTRL+x, then press "y", then press 'enter' (it's very clear if you see it)

done

Like I said...it's all in the wiki

if you don't know what this or that is, just google it and use proper keywords. For example: "nano linux" will give you good results

BUT!!!

If you only want the "wait for network"-option, why not using the in-built option for that. OpenELEC has that in OpenELEC settings (not to compare with system settings).
The wiki 100% tells you where the autostart script should be placed.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
There are couple built in scripts in /storage/Configfiles/system.d/ that allow you to mount CIFS or NFS share.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to and where to put an autostart.sh script0