• 3(current)
Windows 10 Fall update (1511) broke my SMB!!!
(2015-12-22, 23:07)Kodroid Wrote:
(2015-12-20, 00:57)amgqmp1 Wrote: It appears that Windows 10 (Update 1511) is causing some major havoc with SMB for other software too.
Kodi is the only software affected, in my experience. Every other software I can get my hands on can connect, but not Kodi.

I know some NAS devices (e.g., Synology) that run Samba client code for SMB were also affected by Update 1511. Even Windows computers themselves were affected when connecting to other Windows computers.

Question for the Kodi Development team: How current is the Samba code in Kodi v15.2 for Android? I imagine a packet capture (i.e., Wireshark capture) might yield some additional info on what is failing in the SMB connection from Kodi -> Windows 10, but I haven't yet had the time to chase that.
IMO, you'll more chances to find something by perusing the windows logs than doing wireshark...
I was able to get my SMB share working again on my Nvidia Shield. Issue for me was TV shows would not update with new episodes ... I could play movies and TV episodes just fine, but a no-go when i was scanning for recently added files.

Fix was pretty simple

1. Create a Homegroup on the Win 10 computer
2. File share EACH folder within the TV Show parent folder. As an example, all my shows are in a main folder titled "TV Shows" and then each TV show has its own folder (i.e. - Game of Thrones, The Flash ...etc) within "TV Shows. So "TV Shows" have file sharing on, but so do the specefic TV show folders such as "Game of Thrones"
(2015-12-23, 21:10)Koying Wrote: IMO, you'll more chances to find something by perusing the windows logs than doing wireshark...

That's great advice and thank you for sharing.

I had already checked the Windows Event logs as part of my initial troubleshooting of this issue and didn't see anything interesting.
(2015-12-23, 22:43)JonnyVee Wrote: I was able to get my SMB share working again on my Nvidia Shield. Issue for me was TV shows would not update with new episodes ... I could play movies and TV episodes just fine, but a no-go when i was scanning for recently added files.

Fix was pretty simple

2. File share EACH folder within the TV Show parent folder. As an example, all my shows are in a main folder titled "TV Shows" and then each TV show has its own folder (i.e. - Game of Thrones, The Flash ...etc) within "TV Shows. So "TV Shows" have file sharing on, but so do the specefic TV show folders such as "Game of Thrones"

Interesting workaround...thank you for sharing!
have switched to using FTP instead of SMB as a workaround for now.

used these instructions to enable FTP on my win10 machine.
(2015-12-25, 23:28)syd3n Wrote: have switched to using FTP instead of SMB as a workaround for now.

used these instructions to enable FTP on my win10 machine.

Is FTP stable for high bit rate streaming?
(2015-12-23, 22:43)JonnyVee Wrote: I was able to get my SMB share working again on my Nvidia Shield. Issue for me was TV shows would not update with new episodes ... I could play movies and TV episodes just fine, but a no-go when i was scanning for recently added files.

Fix was pretty simple

This didn't work for me at all.
Hi, I have just created an account here (I am not using Kodi at all) to say that I think this problem is a more general thing related to the Windows 10 1511 update. I was using smb to connect from my Fedora laptop to my Windows PC, and immediately after the update it stopped working ("invalid argument" errors). I have no idea how to fix it Sad
This update completely fucked samba sharing with win 10, amongst other things (firewall, display drivers...). Haven't had a chance to look into it but you can workaround itand connect to other pcs from win10 by using the full path to the share, eg \\COMPUTERNAME\SHAREDFOLDER
(2015-12-28, 12:19)teeedubb Wrote: This update completely fucked samba sharing with win 10, amongst other things (firewall, display drivers...). Haven't had a chance to look into it but you can workaround itand connect to other pcs from win10 by using the full path to the share, eg //COMPUTERNAME/SHAREDFOLDER
That has already been tried.
(2015-12-28, 11:56)Onox Wrote: Hi, I have just created an account here (I am not using Kodi at all) to say that I think this problem is a more general thing related to the Windows 10 1511 update. I was using smb to connect from my Fedora laptop to my Windows PC, and immediately after the update it stopped working ("invalid argument" errors). I have no idea how to fix it Sad

What version of Samba is installed on your Fedora laptop?
bought a microsoft surface with windows 10 to replace old laptop with windows 7. Have used with windows 7 to connect to firestick via smb for months. I have spent 10+ hours troubleshooting this in order to make windows 10 work with kodi 15.2. I have updates registry keys, added new usernames, accessed through ip address, used email as username, etc etc etc. tried every walk through available to no avail. i will now have to continue using windows 7, as that has no smb issues. I dont know why microsoft would ruin such a great tool. Hopefully a fix or patch is found quickly.
update. i was able to access my folders through es explorer on the firestick. i can then open the movies in kodi this way. not pretty, but a pretty good workaround until the issue is resolved.
(2015-12-27, 10:42)Kodroid Wrote:

Fix was pretty simple

This didn't work for me at all.

It's no longer working for me either. However, it did for a few days.

I really don't like Plex, but i'm forced to use it until SMB, win 10, & Kodi can play nice.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 Fall update (1511) broke my SMB!!!4