android box which one?
Hi all, which android box to get, i have been looking at a Minix X8-H Plus is anyone using one & any feed back would be helpful good or bad or any other devices which work well with Kodi. as i need a box for the front room to connect to TV & an amp.Sick of downloading everything then putting it on a pen drive to watch downstairs. cheers John
Depends on your use case.

There are a lot of Android boxes out there, and only a hand full worth recommending. Out of those they have their good points and their bad, so you need to be more specific as to what you require the box to do.

And if all you're looking for is a stand-a-lone Kodi system, then there are better/cheaper options to go with. The only reason you should go with Android is if you are looking for a "all-in-one" solution.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I have one of the M8 boxes and it works like a charm. One thing to mention is that I do not have any media stored on this unit. Everything is streamed (via Kodi) from my shared drive. I rarely use the box as Android device (for use with other apps). 99% of the times it stays in Kodi. It came with a small control that can work as a mouse pointer as well. I also have a bluetooth keyboard connected to it but it is rarely used. It has wifi but I use ethernet port for connectivity.

You can search for M8 if you want. They are going for < £40 I think.
Hi Tinwarble & DJ, i would like to stream and sometimes download now & then, surf the web but that's about it. Would like it to play 4K, have Optical Audio Output and Ethernet Port. I've looked at M8s, Minix X8-H plus, Tronsmart Orion R68 and Probox2 but seem a about same 2Gb ddr3 Ram, 8Gb or 16Gb flash storage, S802 or S812 chip, 32bit or 64bit but all i really what is a device that is stable, with a good picture & audio. any feedback would be helpful cheer John
Streaming and playing with M8 is not a problem. I have done local as well as some from the Internet. You tube streams well as well. It does have Ethernet port as well as Optical Audio. I use Ethernet port but have not used the Optical Audio so can't give you opinion on optical audio quality. Its name has 4K in it but since I do not have a 4K TV, I never had a need to verify that. It flies with 1080P video though. So far, it has been stable for me with very good video quality.

Regarding surfing the web, I cannot comment on that either as I have not done it much on this unit. I usually find web browsing on TV connected units to be more burden than it is worth it.

HTH.
thanks DJ, going back to Tinwarble suggestion, if I wanted a standalone Kodi player there are better devices to use, i would like to know more if anyone can help with this matter. Cheers again John
Firmware Firmware Firmware and ongoing support is the most important of all Android considerations.

Only two Android devices I would recommend are the nVIDIA Shield and the WeTek Core, possibly the MINIX gear but that does not do 1080p HD Netflix + others.
You get what you pay for with Android.

Forget Rockchip unless you want a mountain of headaches. Allwinner should be shot and buried.
This thread should be consulted too:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229161

Cheap Kodi only devices that run OpenELEC well would be the RPi2 and the ODROID C1+
These work far better than dirt cheap Android Kodi devices.

As wrxtasy stated, you are going to get what you pay for.

You are not going to get much if any support with those cheap Android boxes like you will on the Nvidia Sheild ATV (my personal preference), Wetek Core or Minix boxes. And besides features and capabilities of a Android box, support is not something you want to skimp on.

Besides that, you want a box that adheres to the standard Android APIs in order to bring features to the device, since that is the way forward with Kodi.

As for stand-a-lone boxes/devices for Kodi, the RPi2, Odroid C1+, Chromeboxes, Asus Beebox or any number of the other NUCs available. And you should read this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
android box which one?0