Win [Solved] nVidia only crash on pause and/or OSD in Windows 10
Just chipping in to say I have the same problem with Kodi v15.2, nvidia GTX980 (driver 359.00) and windows 10 (1511)
The stats OSD causes the video playback to freeze after a few seconds, separately the Kodi GUI often hangs and fails to return fully like it should after playback.

With the DX11 version the OSD works but video playback would often crash out to an exception caught on main loop exiting error as well as the GUI hang after playback.
Hello, I came without DX11 15.2 kodi, at least this lets watch the movies and series (without pause them) kept the DX11 version, because in the middle of a movie screen remained in black, hopefully solve this quickly, basically the problem started since last update of Windows 10 November (major update), greetings.

nvidia GTX970 (driver 359.00) and windows 10 (1511)
Jep same problem here... Windows 10, latest nvidia drivers & GTX 970. Freezes happen when i pause or change the volume, but the sound keeps going. Something to do with the CUVID drivers on windows 10? I think there wasn't win10 support for it yet? Well im using MPC-HC as external video player now and everything works fine there.
Fresh install of Win10 didn't solve the problem...

Where are the developers? Are any of them even reading this thread?!
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
Switched to software decoding, seems to be working for now. Here's hoping this is the end of my troubles...
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
(2015-12-03, 00:32)LarrxX Wrote: Switched to software decoding, seems to be working for now. Here's hoping this is the end of my troubles...
Hi, I just tested and it seems that does not give problems
I have read a number of upgrades to win10 with Nvidia cards that are experiencing similar issues.
I myself are running with intel 5000 graphics, and i tried all possible upgrade paths, both with windows and kodi versions.
No issues whatsoever. Currently running a pretty 'dirty' upgraded system without any additional tinkering.

I believe the issues with hw acceleration mentioned here are due to nvidia (drivers or other issue), but i havent got any such cards to verify and i havent found a viable arricle describing nvidia related issues...
hello, what lock to pause or stop a movie was solved by disabling the hardware acceleration, but now if I press the letter O on your keyboard to see the video and audio information during playback of a movie, after about 2 seconds is blocked, the sound is heard but the video stuck, playing close kodi in the task manager.
(2015-12-03, 09:07)Atreyu Wrote: I have read a number of upgrades to win10 with Nvidia cards that are experiencing similar issues.
I myself are running with intel 5000 graphics, and i tried all possible upgrade paths, both with windows and kodi versions.
No issues whatsoever. Currently running a pretty 'dirty' upgraded system without any additional tinkering.

I believe the issues with hw acceleration mentioned here are due to nvidia (drivers or other issue), but i havent got any such cards to verify and i havent found a viable arricle describing nvidia related issues...
Totally agree, and am as surprised as you not to find any official statement regarding this issue.

Like I mentioned earlier, Kodi works flawlessly on my HTPC (which doesn't have an nVidia card) and is now working on my nVidia equipped machine (now that I have switched to software rendering). So it is definitely an nVidia hardware problem as far as I can tell.

And I don't see any official developer commenting or taking interest in this issue... weird. I'm willing to provide any crash/debug logs/stack traces as needed. Just tell me what you need so that I can help!
(2015-12-03, 17:34)dA_vO Wrote: hello, what lock to pause or stop a movie was solved by disabling the hardware acceleration, but now if I press the letter O on your keyboard to see the video and audio information during playback of a movie, after about 2 seconds is blocked, the sound is heard but the video stuck, playing close kodi in the task manager.

I also had crashes when I switched to "software" in the decoding selection, but then I also disabled "Allow hardware acceleration - DXVA2" option and the problems went away.

So just to be clera what I did was:
  • Go to System->Settings->Video.
  • Make sure Settings Level is set to Expert.
  • Go to Acceleration.
  • Set Render Method to Software.
  • Disable Allow hardware acceleration - DXVA2.

Does this help you?
(2015-12-04, 14:48)LarrxX Wrote: I also had crashes when I switched to "software" in the decoding selection, but then I also disabled "Allow hardware acceleration - DXVA2" option and the problems went away.

So just to be clear what I did was:
  • Go to System->Settings->Video.
  • Make sure Settings Level is set to Expert.
  • Go to Acceleration.
  • Set Render Method to Software.
  • Disable Allow hardware acceleration - DXVA2.

Does this help you?

This helped and I've yet to get a single crash with my Win10 GTX970 combo. However this is far from ideal and I hope that the Kodi dev team will fix this issue before the release of 16.0
I wholeheartedly agree. This is a temporary workaround while I wait for the Kodi devs to officially do something about this issue...

Also, I would appreciate some "Thank User" my way if you guys are helped by my solution...
Don't think they can do anything about it, I still think it has something to do with nvidia support on windows 10 for the CUVID drivers.
If it really is an nVidia issue, I understand they can't do anything about it. I'm not asking them to solve all the problems in the world.

But an issue as serious as this one should at least be adressed somewhere: "We're aware of this issue but we unfortunatley can't do anything about it. Here's a workaround:" would be nice.

Took me a week of testing and trial and error to find a temporary solution to work for me (and I hope others). Pinning this thread or an official comment on this situation would save this hassle for a lot of other people!
Nudged the windows dev about this and he'll look into it when he has time.
At least thx for pinpointing it to what causes it. Saves a lot of time which light end up in a fix or can't fix
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] nVidia only crash on pause and/or OSD in Windows 103