Win [Solved] nVidia only crash on pause and/or OSD in Windows 10
I've noticed MPC-HC has absolutely no problems with DXVA2 or NV CUVID on Windows 10 1511 and Nvidia hardware, just Kodi.
So, because the number of posts for this particular issue was rather small, given how many Kodi users are likely to be using Win10 and some kind of NVidia hardware, I started thinking there was likely something different about my configuration that was causing me difficulties. After doing some Google searches, I came upon this thread:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...ease-help/

Reading through it, I noticed some posts where users were experiencing similar issues with Kodi locking up, freezing the video, but you could still hear the audio playing in the background, etc. These were issues I was experiencing also, so I tried the solution posted there, which was to use Version 358.50 of the NVidia drivers. This has solved the issues I was having and restored the stability I was used to experiencing with Kodi. I'm using the latest stable version of Kodi (v15.2), btw. I have had no issues with freezes or any issues related to hardware acceleration. I can even say that these drivers are working better than any I've used previously with Kodi, as I am no longer having issues with the video card's fan kicking up to a higher RPM as I was before in various situations (oddly screen dimming would cause it to happen).

Hope that helps!

-z
(2015-12-09, 01:41)zmonkey Wrote: So, because the number of posts for this particular issue was rather small, given how many Kodi users are likely to be using Win10 and some kind of NVidia hardware, I started thinking there was likely something different about my configuration that was causing me difficulties. After doing some Google searches, I came upon this thread:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...ease-help/

Reading through it, I noticed some posts where users were experiencing similar issues with Kodi locking up, freezing the video, but you could still hear the audio playing in the background, etc. These were issues I was experiencing also, so I tried the solution posted there, which was to use Version 358.50 of the NVidia drivers. This has solved the issues I was having and restored the stability I was used to experiencing with Kodi. I'm using the latest stable version of Kodi (v15.2), btw. I have had no issues with freezes or any issues related to hardware acceleration. I can even say that these drivers are working better than any I've used previously with Kodi, as I am no longer having issues with the video card's fan kicking up to a higher RPM as I was before in various situations (oddly screen dimming would cause it to happen).

Hope that helps!

-z

Thanks for this. I had the exact same problem as everyone, Win10, Nvidia, that big ass windows update, video freezes with sound still going. Anyway, after reading that geforce thread someone said that you should do a thorough cleanup of nvidia drivers after installing that update. I did just that, installed the latest nvidia driver and all is well now.
Hi, I'm posting just to thank zmonkey for linking to that Geforce thread. Uninstalling my drivers using DDU and doing a fresh install apparently solved all my issues (tested for about half an hour - the problem usually occurred after 5 minutes). No more random freezes, and I'm able to freely fast forward or rewind.

As Borat would say, great success!
@croshad, Boltzmann: What Kodi versions are you using. The official 15.2, the 15.2 DX11 or the latest Jarvis Beta? And do you use HW acceleration? I installed win 10 freshly with 1511 update included and observed similar issues. I'm using the DX11 build and had to disable HW acceleration with that enabled it was unstable.
@hoschi80. I'm using the official 15.2, not DX11. I tried disabling HW acceleration, but still got random freezes. I think Nvidia drivers and Windows 10 are a really bad combination right now. Several people had to revert to 358.50 in order to get full functionality.
Yeah there seems to be big problems with nvidia and windows 10 im gona do an experement this weekend with nvidia and win10 several builds of drivers and updates.
Well, I guess it's only me, but I prefer continue living with a crash after every video than to install on old driver.
I know it's stupid, but I just can't live knowing that my computer isn't "fully updated" with all latest drivers.
I know it's stupid, I guess it's some kind of mental issue, maybe some form of OCD Smile
I'll keep waiting and hoping for someone from Microsoft/Nvidia/Kodi to fix this.
Microsoft - NO CHANCE - No motivation for MS to fix something unless they can charge for it.
Nvidia - POSSIBLE
Kodi - VERY likely
(2015-12-16, 14:26)orior Wrote: Well, I guess it's only me, but I prefer continue living with a crash after every video than to install on old driver.
I know it's stupid, but I just can't live knowing that my computer isn't "fully updated" with all latest drivers.
I know it's stupid, I guess it's some kind of mental issue, maybe some form of OCD Smile
I'll keep waiting and hoping for someone from Microsoft/Nvidia/Kodi to fix this.

I understand you all too well. I managed to fix my issue with a clean install of the latest drivers (after a thorough removal using DDU). However, I dreaded the possibility of having to revert to an old driver, and would probably try to live with the problems for a while longer. Low-grade OCD, probably Big Grin
(2015-12-16, 10:47)hoschi80 Wrote: @croshad, Boltzmann: What Kodi versions are you using. The official 15.2, the 15.2 DX11 or the latest Jarvis Beta? And do you use HW acceleration? I installed win 10 freshly with 1511 update included and observed similar issues. I'm using the DX11 build and had to disable HW acceleration with that enabled it was unstable.

I'm using 15.2 non DX11, HW acceleration, Win10 1511, Nvidia 359.06. I was late to the 1511 show and Kodi problems started after that but now the DDU cleanup and driver reinstall fixed it.
For my part, a clean install won't solve my problem since it happened on a fresh new install of Win10, not an update, a fresh install. I just installed Win10, nVidia drivers and then Kodi. Had crash issues. Can't get cleaner than that, can you? Smile

But software rendering has solved the issue for me now, so I'll wait until an official fix for the hardware decoding is done.

Glad somebody finally took notice! Smile
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
(2015-12-16, 21:47)croshad Wrote: I'm using 15.2 non DX11, HW acceleration, Win10 1511, Nvidia 359.06. I was late to the 1511 show and Kodi problems started after that but now the DDU cleanup and driver reinstall fixed it.

Well, I tried a few times uninstalling with DDU and reinstalling the driver, still the freezes remain, so I guess it's a matter of specific card models/windows 10.
Mine is Nvidia Geforce GT660 and Windows 10 64bit Pro. I'll keep hoping for a fix to come.
I disabled the rss ticker last night and so far that's stopped the home window freezing but it's not been put through it's paces for any length of time. Video has been fine for me though, it was when idling on the home screen it would freeze
(2015-12-17, 23:00)LarrxX Wrote: For my part, a clean install won't solve my problem since it happened on a fresh new install of Win10, not an update, a fresh install. I just installed Win10, nVidia drivers and then Kodi. Had crash issues. Can't get cleaner than that, can you? Smile

I had exactly the same thought because I installed Win10 freshly with the famous 1511 update included. So it installed the nvidia drivers via windows update and after that I updated them to the latest version. Maybe there went something wrong. I performed an uninstall with DDU after installing the driver again kodi runs as expected. I went back to the 15.2 (from the DX11) which was before not usable. So now HW acceleration is working and no freezes anymore. What is still not working is the exclusive fullscreen mode. There I have (sporadic) freezes in the Menu after wake up from standby. The RSS reader is still running but no chance getting back to desktop. With window mode everything is fine. BTW I have a GTX 750 Ti.

Edit: Seems like I was to optimistic. Just had a complete freeze in the main menu view.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] nVidia only crash on pause and/or OSD in Windows 103