audio underdetermined
Hi all

so using the latest KODI on linux Ubuntu 15.10 mate and just noticed that all my movies are playing as UND which I understand to be undefined. So I checked the linux config and it's set to hdmi out and the speaker test is great. I checked the Kodi audio out config and it's set to HDMI as well. The cable is from the HDMI port on the pc to the hdmi port on the tv. What am I missing please? I get audio but it sounds muffled.
You are missing your Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
And a decent description of the problem. When you say "playing as UND", that sounds like the audio language flag, which has nothing to do with the codec, connection method, number of streams or much else. It's simply a flag in the track header that says "this is ENGlish, this is FREnch, this is GERman, this is the NARrative audio description track", and so on - including one for "UNDetermined".

So, it depends on your source - what's this track supposed to be - and whether your file(s) have any other audio tracks that you'd prefer to listen to, I suspect. But, indeed, a debug log would say more...
(2015-11-29, 10:14)fritsch Wrote: You are missing your Debug Log

sorry I completely forgot to put it in.
(2015-11-29, 11:25)Prof Yaffle Wrote: And a decent description of the problem. When you say "playing as UND", that sounds like the audio language flag, which has nothing to do with the codec, connection method, number of streams or much else. It's simply a flag in the file header that says "this is ENGlish, this is FREnch, this is GERman, this is the NARrative audio description track", and so on - including one for "UNDetermined".

So, it depends on your source - what's this track supposed to be - and whether your file(s) have any other audio tracks that you'd prefer to listen to, I suspect. But, indeed, a debug log would say more...

you know I think you might have solved this for me! being an idiot I saw the loudspeaker and the UND next to it and went off on the wrong tangent. I should have included a screen shot of the problem to help you good people help me. Sorry on all counts I am a BAD user :-)

I'm still getting to grips with the way this works ( learning Linux and Kodi) so sometimes I blame the wrong thing. I just upgraded from Ubuntu 15.04 mate to 15.10 and have started tilting at windmills. Thanks again I will make sure I do more research next time before cluttering up the forum
Hey, don't worry about it - you wasted as much time as it took a couple of guys to type a few words, nothing more. If it's helped your understanding, that's fine.

Glad you got it fixed. You'll probably find that the muffled sound is because that audio track isn't really meant as a primary channel - I'd expect there to be a better alternative track, and the UND one is carrying some additional sound information, perhaps (guessing a bit now). See what the others sound like.
thanks for taking the time though. How do I select another channel? I can't seem to see that anywhere.
No problem.

Assuming you're using Confluence as a skin...

When playing, call up the menu (M on the keyboard - remote commands vary - or just move the mouse, I think). In the bottom right, you have a speaker icon - click on this. That calls up a page of audio options, and one of those will be "audio stream" - from there, you can select any other streams, should they exist.

That "should they exist" is important, as it does depend on where your sources have come from and how they've been processed. If you're ripping them yourself, you have control over not only what they are, and how many there are, but also how they're tagged. And if it's just a tagging issue (e.g. an English track losing its tag so appearing as UND) then that may, indeed, be the track you want...

... in which case, any muffling is something else entirely...!
you are a gentleman and a scholar. I "thought" I tried clicking on the speaker icon but couldn't see anything. Will certainly give it another go. Incidently this started to happen after I upgraded to Linux Ubuntu mate 15.04 to 15.10. I put this in here just in case it's a real issue. Thanks again Prof you are a star

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
audio underdetermined0