• 5(current)
Web Browser integrated into XBMC - HTML Layout Engine with a GUI embedded into XBMC?
i sent an e-mail to the ysbox, the author of linksboks, today asking several questions that have been raised as issues with having a web browser built into xbmc as well as some general questions about what lead him to split to application into an engine and host application. hopefully he responds with his position on the subject, i will keep you all informed if anything develops.
i understand the concerns about bloat as raised by some developers here but there are some significant advantages to integrating the web browser into xbmc.

* better integration with imdb (and other sites - ie the ability to follow links about cast members of movies etc)
* no real need for custom python scripts to scrape sites like apple and gamespot etc (although some people may prefer that to browsing the site normaly)
* follow links from rss feeds to get more information
* check email through xbmc (web based email only)
* listen to music while browsing the web on the tv
* connect to local web servers to retrieve custom information otherwise inaccessible (eg web cams of your house, screen caps of your pc's desktop etc etc)

probably a lot more than i have thought of too. the list goes on. sure some of this stuff could be done with python but it's always good to have different options to get things done.

sure, 5mb of 'bloat' could be seen as a lot because as a percentage of the size at the moment it's quite large. but it's just the same as upgrading the default skin from pm1 to pm3 and adding a few visualisations or screensavers. i'm sure that given the choice most people would accept the extra bloat.
it may be interesting to see an xbmc skin provide a custon css and or use xbmc controls for the rendering...

however i do think 5mb is pretty huge bloat considering how tight things are currently. i dont think this should be implemented until xbmc gets a virtual memory manager.
bloated? it seems like i remember xbmc being a 4mb or so download...... i don't use any of the web lookup features or rss feeds due to not having the internet at home. although i do use some scripts just to show off xbmc to friends. i'm kind of wondering if those features are adding "bloat" even if they aren't being used.

i do have to agree on not adding it into xbmc. it is quite easy just to load it from xbmc anyways. and some of my movies aren't playing as well anymore i have a feeling from all of the added features. although, yes, it would be cool!
for those who do not use scripts or the internet in any way because they consider it a bloat factor, this could be integrated so that you will only be able to access it if there is an internet connection present, similar to xlink. the web browser could launch from an icon exactly like xlink, that way people who don't use the internet features of xbmc are not bothered with it in any way shape or form. i do have to agree that a virtual memory manager would be a very good idea, but i believe it will still be alright without it still. a virtual memory manager is definately not far off from being necessary after a few more major features are added, but we still have room to grow without it unless of course you are running 1080i, then memory becomes a bit more of an issue. i am still awaiting a response from ysbox to see what he has to say about the issues presented.
Sad 
hello,

i see that that some effort has been put into intergrating the linxbox browser into xbmc. i think this is really good but the linksboks browser is fairly limited (the lack of css support for instance). a better alternative would be to intergrate minimo into xbmc.

from minimos site:

Quote:the minimo (mini mozilla) project is focused on code-size and runtime footprint reduction, and porting to small consumer devices. we hope to make minimo the browser of choice on small devices, or machines with limited system resources; taking advantage of mozilla's support for a broad and comprehensive set of standards and the variety of content on the web, proven security, international support, and cross platform capability.

minimo runns on wince so i think it would be possible to port it to the xbox. i realize this would take some effort to do and unfortunatly i don't have the time to do it but it would be great to have a mozilla based browser for the xbox.

regards
/pucko
oh!! new toy... gonna have to look at this one!

be advised there is already a browser being worked into xbmc however. while a date or for that matter cvs release is questionable (would love to get actual use myself just to play with and bug hunt) it is projected in the future,
hi, i'm looking into building up an xbox with the xbmc os. i was wondering wether there was a web browser available for it or not. just curious.

thanks.
not officially supported but yes, it's been regarded as the linksboks integration.  Nod
i think he means usable now. to which the answer we currently have is no. however we have also been given the answer in the process of and slated for future release.

**didnt mean to sound like i am snapping los, just got to remember a question like that is loaded. if the common noob doesnt have a neon sign pointing them to it then it isnt there.
apparently the search function of the board was not working.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
indeed, might have to update its cvs eh?
Sad 
sup guys, i just wanted to mentioned that there is a web broswer written in python. i would like to see an bittorrent plugin that actually downloads the full applacation or media file to a predetermine directory. the browser is located there ->grail . :idea:
while i personaly would luv to see web browsing on xbmc. mainly for more detailed news than available through rss.

but while it would be nice to have websites like the bbc parsed in their full glory i cant help but be worried that by giving the avarage layman user access to the web that we wil open up a bad can of worms. allowing a open door to spyware/viruses/hackers etc.

i think it would be useful to integrate the web browser in a controlled manner to allow for example rss feeds to be displayed properly. and for scripts to be able utilise the built in web engine.
but removing access for the end user to specifically brows to a url.
hi all,

is there a general web browser available for xmbc? i'd like to use it to just surf the web but i can't seem to find anything that available.

thanks!
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Web Browser integrated into XBMC - HTML Layout Engine with a GUI embedded into XBMC?2