Help on setting up a 4+ tunner recording on Android or Shield home theatre box?
I don't know of any broadcasters using h265 10 bit.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
And then you need a new 10-bit display panel to take advantage of it anyway. Its all very well having the decoding Hardware but you need the rest of the Hardware all along the chain to take advantage of it.

Panels is coming (that busts the budget to afford. An expensive PC player is just too much on top of everything). 10 bit h265 for file playing side not PVR. I could justify a slimlined PC if only there were a future proofed chipset with 10 bit+ integrated, or low powered, small, GPU (Nvidua ones force to big power supplies and less slim case options). It is all one compromise too much in every direction, and I can't afford to turn over hardware every year.

Anyway, thank you. Looks like andriod fails and let's us down again. A cheap atom, thrown away next year might be an option, cheaper than upgrading a PC next year. So much for conservationism.
(2015-12-06, 08:23)wrxtasy Wrote: And then you need a new 10-bit display panel to take advantage of it anyway. Its all very well having the decoding Hardware but you need the rest of the Hardware all along the chain to take advantage of it.

Yep - but whether you have a 10-bit or 8-bit panel, if broadcasters go with 10-bit for 4K (though current 4K tests are mainly 8-bit, there is a feeling that 10-bit will happen, as the limits of 8-bit are all-too-visible now) you'll need a 10-bit decoder irrespective of whether your display is 10-bit capable if you want to watch the broadcasts. You can't use an 8-bit decoder to watch 10-bit broadcast content just because you have an 8-bit panel...

Personally I think we're far enough away from mainstream H265 broadcasts that I wouldn't expect current hardware to deliver them at a recent price. As ever the advice has to be, don't pay over-the-odds now to future proof, pay less to do what you need to know, and expect to replace when the next format arrives.

It's also worth thinking about future HD broadcasts, not just 4K. Germany is replacing its DVB-T/MPEG2 SD infrastructure with DVB-T2/H265 HD infrastructure, with at least one broadcaster (ZDF) looking likely to switch from 720p50 to 1080p50 (1080p50 is currently not used for direct-to-home broadcast), and it is possible that they will also go 10 bit at the same time. There is an ongoing discussion in European broadcasters about whether 4K or better HD is the way to go. 4K has the marketing message "bigger number of lines", and OTT services are already pushing it hard, but 1080p50 at 10 bit (possibly with HDR) could be more feasible for DVB-T2 stuff, and deliver a higher quality picture than currently for a lot of viewers who wouldn't benefit from 4K in the same way.
(2015-12-06, 06:27)Stevio Wrote: An old PC's not a solution (more a fire hazard) but it means more abandoning android and getting an atom PC if any come with HDMI 2a at least, but the Android would do h265 10 bit.

Do you live in a region with very bad power distribution? I'm wondering why you believe a PC to be a specific fire hazard? Why is it more of a hazard than an ADSL modem/router, cable modem etc., or an Android TV box?

You can run a TV Headend backend on a low-power ARM platform should you wish, or a NAS device.

I suspect the biggest fire hazard is likely to be a no-name Chinese PSU used to power a DC device. Like a no-name Android box.
This will be of interest for those that want to run a DIY 4 Tuner setup using any cheap OpenELEC TvHeadend backend server (like the GigaE equipped ODROID C1+) in combo with HDHomeRun Networked tuners:

http://openelec.tv/forum/79-tvheadend/74...t=0#130572

(2015-12-07, 08:44)wrxtasy Wrote: This will be of interest for those that want to run a DIY 4 Tuner setup using any cheap OpenELEC TvHeadend backend server (like the GigaE equipped ODROID C1+) in combo with HDHomeRun Networked tuners:

http://openelec.tv/forum/79-tvheadend/74...t=0#130572

Though beware if you are interested DVB-T2 stuff, the latest tuners aren't supported in the current C1/C1+ kernel and Media_Build fails. And the version of TV Headend currently bundled in the C1/C1+ OpenElec Unofficial Repo doesn't support some of the newer Sat>IP tuners either.
Hang about, HDHomeRun tuners dispensed with all that nonsense as they are Networked tuners.
These are not the direct plug in usb Tuners, needing Kernel support.

Quote:HDHomeRun is a TV tuner for computers – Ethernet attached

You will see here clarkss12, is using a very similar AMLogic OpenELEC setup I describe with 2x2 HDHomeRun tuners:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2118489

Quote:MythTV is the leading DVR application for Linux and includes full HDHomeRun support. No kernel space drivers to install – just select HDHomeRun from the tuner list and run a channel scan.

https://www.silicondust.com/products/hdh...onnect-au/

(2015-12-07, 11:19)wrxtasy Wrote: Hang about, HDHomeRun tuners dispensed with all that nonsense as they are Networked tuners.

I know - but they are also a LOT more expensive... HD Homeruns are popular in the US where ATSC USB tuners are far less widespread. They've not made huge inroads in Europe as we can get DVB-T2 USB tuners for €20 in Europe, but they DO need kernel support.

I can buy 2 DVB-T2 USB tuners for €40, a two-tuner DVB-T2 HD Home run costs €122... Sure the HD HR doesn't need Kernel support (though it does need application support), but it's not cheap...

(It's really annoying - you could buy an ODroid C1+ and 4 x DVB-T2 USB tuners to deliver the same functionality as the HD HR - and include PVR recording - IF only Hardkernel had better kernel support)

SAT>IP tuners are very similar to HD HomeRun tuners, using an open standard (though mainly for DVB-S2). However the version of TV Headend in the ODroid OpenElec unofficial repo pre-dates some bug fixes that stops one of the most cost-effective SAT>IP tuners, the Elgato Netstream 4sat, working effectively. I bought my Quad tuner DVB-S2 SAT>IP box for pretty much the same price as a dual-tuner DVB-T2 HDHR...
Yes agreed, I did not talk about the cost, just what was possible.

As for a nightly bug fix, and a TvHeadend backend update for the C1 and OpenELEC, I believe this would be what you are looking for:
http://build.mycvh.de/Tvh/

Just use the WeTek Play versions, as the OpenELEC distro I use links in and uses all the common OpenELEC WeTek Play unofficial stuff anyways.

Enjoy Smile

(2015-12-07, 12:41)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes agreed, I did not talk about the cost, just what was possible.

Yep - but €240 for a 4-tuner HDHR solution is pretty steep, when the USB tuners are so cost effective Sad
Quote:As for a nightly bug fix, and a TvHeadend backend update for the C1 and OpenELEC, I believe this would be what you are looking for:

Just use the WeTek Play versions, as the OpenELEC distro I use links in and uses all the common OpenELEC WeTek Play unofficial stuff anyways.

Enjoy Smile

Thanks wrxtasy!
Cost effective or not. As of now they are useless to him. That's why I suggested he flips them and puts the $ towards a hdhomerun
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2015-12-07, 12:41)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes agreed, I did not talk about the cost, just what was possible.

As for a nightly bug fix, and a TvHeadend backend update for the C1 and OpenELEC, I believe this would be what you are looking for:

Enjoy Smile

Thanks wrxtasy - that build is working with my Elgato Netstream 4Sat on an ODroid C1. Finally it has a use!
Nice work, glad I could help.
Sounds like a cost effective, competent TvHeadend server - Quad, DVB-S2 Tuner. combo Smile

(2015-12-09, 04:05)wrxtasy Wrote: Nice work, glad I could help.
Sounds like a cost effective, competent TvHeadend server - Quad, DVB-S2 Tuner. combo Smile

Yep - the reality is that I suspect the hardware in the Elgato could do it on its own (you can telnet into the thing...)

My next decision is whether I record locally or to my unRAID server. At the moment I'm thinking locally.

The great thing about SAT>IP is you don't need to house the TV Headend box anywhere near your tuners, you just need an Ethernet connection between them. (You can now get an integrated SAT>IP LNB you mount on your dish, that is PoE powered and has 8 in-built tuners, meaning you run Ethernet cable, not coax from your dish. Downside is it's still quite expensive, and apparently a bit crashy)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help on setting up a 4+ tunner recording on Android or Shield home theatre box?0