How many simultaneous clients can Raspberry Pi 2 support simultaneously?
'm building a media server with Raspberry Pi 2 - MODB - 1GB - Quad core. Can anyone let me know what is the max number of clients that Kodi can hold with this setup?
or i'd be glad if someone suggests me what config is required to build a media server/local web server to hold 30 clients simultaneously. (i.e 30 people should be able to stream/download files simultaneously)
Thanks in Advance!
Are you streaming over a LAN or WAN?

If LAN, your bottleneck will likely be the shared USB/NIC bridge on the Pi2.
The Pi 2 would be fine as a client. You'll need something more suitable for your server. What bit rate video will each client be playing?
(2015-11-30, 22:13)katsup Wrote: Are you streaming over a LAN or WAN?

If LAN, your bottleneck will likely be the shared USB/NIC bridge on the Pi2.

I want to stream on WiFi
(2015-12-01, 01:38)noggin Wrote: The Pi 2 would be fine as a client. You'll need something more suitable for your server. What bit rate video will each client be playing?

480p video as of now. What if I run a simple http web server on the pi? can it handle multiple clients(25) to download the video files?
(2015-12-01, 12:58)capedcrusader029 Wrote: 480p video as of now. What if I run a simple http web server on the pi? can it handle multiple clients(25) to download the video files?

You want 25 concurrent clients(*) to be playing video at the same time?
I'd say that sounds optimistic.

Lets say you wire the Pi to the router through ethernet. That will have a 100Mbit/s hard limit. Realistically you may get 90Mbit/s iperf rate and perhaps 80Mbit/s nfs rate.
So your 25 clients will get at most 3.2Mbit/s bitrate.

Looking at a typical 480p dvdrip file, and it's 1.5Mbit/s - so not impossible.

The Pi's ethernet goes over USB, so assuming a USB disk, you'll be sharing the USB bandwidth between disk and network.
USB bandwidth is theoretically 480Mbit/s, but realistically 240Mbit/s is the maximum achievable.
So there should be enough for disk and ethernet, alhough I'd suspect that the ethernet number may reduce a little due to the extra disk load.

Now reading 25 files at once may be an issue for the drive. Hard disks have a fairly slow seek time, so depending on how efficient the buffering/caching is, the disk may end up thrashing.
A disk with good seek time (e.g. an SSD) would be less likely to have an issue here.

The amount of data being moved around is limited, so I wouldn't expect the Pi2's CPU to be a bottleneck. It may well need careful tweaking of the web server to ensure it's working efficiently.

So, nothing immediately obvious that makes it impossible, but I wouldn't like to guarantee it. It's pretty ambitious for a Pi2, and moving to HD video certainly wouldn't be an option.

(*) If there are just 25 clients in total, and typically only a small percentage are playing video at once, then the problem becomes much easier.
(2015-12-01, 12:57)capedcrusader029 Wrote: I want to stream on WiFi

Not Pi related, but 25 clients all using wifi in a small area could be problematic.
I suspect that wifi interference will become critical at some point. Not sure if 25 clients will hit it, but it's another failure mode to consider.
(2015-12-01, 15:41)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-12-01, 12:58)capedcrusader029 Wrote: 480p video as of now. What if I run a simple http web server on the pi? can it handle multiple clients(25) to download the video files?

You want 25 concurrent clients(*) to be playing video at the same time?
I'd say that sounds optimistic.

Lets say you wire the Pi to the router through ethernet. That will have a 100Mbit/s hard limit. Realistically you may get 90Mbit/s iperf rate and perhaps 80Mbit/s nfs rate.
So your 25 clients will get at most 3.2Mbit/s bitrate.

Looking at a typical 480p dvdrip file, and it's 1.5Mbit/s - so not impossible.

The Pi's ethernet goes over USB, so assuming a USB disk, you'll be sharing the USB bandwidth between disk and network.
USB bandwidth is theoretically 480Mbit/s, but realistically 240Mbit/s is the maximum achievable.
So there should be enough for disk and ethernet, alhough I'd suspect that the ethernet number may reduce a little due to the extra disk load.

Now reading 25 files at once may be an issue for the drive. Hard disks have a fairly slow seek time, so depending on how efficient the buffering/caching is, the disk may end up thrashing.
A disk with good seek time (e.g. an SSD) would be less likely to have an issue here.

The amount of data being moved around is limited, so I wouldn't expect the Pi2's CPU to be a bottleneck. It may well need careful tweaking of the web server to ensure it's working efficiently.

So, nothing immediately obvious that makes it impossible, but I wouldn't like to guarantee it. It's pretty ambitious for a Pi2, and moving to HD video certainly wouldn't be an option.

(*) If there are just 25 clients in total, and typically only a small percentage are playing video at once, then the problem becomes much easier.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I'll post the results Smile
(2015-12-01, 15:43)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-12-01, 12:57)capedcrusader029 Wrote: I want to stream on WiFi

Not Pi related, but 25 clients all using wifi in a small area could be problematic.
I suspect that wifi interference will become critical at some point. Not sure if 25 clients will hit it, but it's another failure mode to consider.

Sure..I think i'll have to run some real world tests to confirm these things..
Thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How many simultaneous clients can Raspberry Pi 2 support simultaneously?0