Intel Nuc DN2820FYKH - Good Enough?
Hi everyone. I've been using a rasperry pi with openelec/kodi for over a year now. Recently i've made my mind to upgrade my media center. I was thinking in buying a NUC for this reason, more specifically the DN2820FYKH model.
The use i'd make out of it is mainly watching 720p/1080p movies and watching twitch streams at the higher possible refresh rate (on my raspberry even tho i can open up 60fps streams, they're actually 25ish fps on screen).
I wouldn't really use it for much more. So, do you think that the DN2820FYKH would be good enough for me, or do you have some other options? Thanks a lot Smile
No!
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-30, 23:13)fritsch Wrote: No!

Any explanation? Tongue
Also, any other suggestion which is faster and smoother than the Raspberry?
(2015-11-30, 23:14)RyuBlade94 Wrote:

Any explanation? Tongue
Well, probably the thing affecting performance mostly is the CPU, so I guess the N2820 doesn't cut it. Also, 1 SODIMM could be significant, I read that the Dual Channel (=2 SODIMM's) in my NUC does wonders for performance. I've got an Asrock Beebox N3150 by the way, it's pretty cheap and performs well. Maybe it's good for you, maybe there are better options since I've bought it a few weeks ago, dont know.
What about the Nvidia Shield instead? Would you guys recommend it to me?
(2015-11-30, 23:45)RyuBlade94 Wrote: What about the Nvidia Shield instead? Would you guys recommend it to me?
Rolleyes Please do some research by checking out the threads on this forum about these devices.

From what I know, the Shield is recommended by quite some people.
The 2820 is fine for up tp 1080p x264 stuff and the UI is smooth too.

No idea on twitch etc, but I have two I use as a spare tv player and a holiday player and they work well.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
The 2820 is fine, but maybe fritsch was thinking that you can get more value from other options. In my neck of the woods the cost of a 2820 is roughly equivalent to the cost of that Nvidia box whose name escapes currently escapes me. Certainly seems to give you more bang for your buck. Most places sell the 2820 barebones, so you have to add in the cost of memory, storage, and a remote. I've got a Pi2, my parents have a 2820. I'm happy with the Pi2.

Edit: That would be the Nvidia Shield (mentioned in at least two posts above this one!).
(2015-11-30, 23:14)RyuBlade94 Wrote:

Any explanation? Tongue
Also, any other suggestion which is faster and smoother than the Raspberry?
Probably the fact that the DN2820FYKH is previous generation technology and has been replaced by the NUC5CPYH. The DN2820FYKH uses a Baytrail CPU while NUC5CPYH is Braswell. Very similar in performance except that Braswell has support for 8-bit HEVC in hardware.
N2820 has a recycled IVB GPU with just 4 Execution units - it's too slow for Upscaling 720p to 1080 in good quality. Also it's not fast enough to do HQ deinterlacing for 1080i50 content. Get a braswell.

I think I have answered this 200 times in this hw forum.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I have had a couple of the 2820s running for more than a year and they work fine for 1080p.

I also have more than a dozen Dell ChromeBoxes that I have configured and are at family locations and two at home.

If it is strictly Kodi use, I would buy the ChromeBox and use them for 1080p at a significan savings of dollars, installation time, support time, etc.

Of the 10+ boxes I have used for Kodi, the ChromeBox is the simplest, and cheapest (hours of support) and cleanest box out there in the ~$150 range...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Nuc DN2820FYKH - Good Enough?0