multiple HDHomerun and Antennas
I live in an area where I have signals in two different directions. I was wondering if anyone has tried to setup multiple directional antennas and tie each one into HDHomerun. Each Homerun would have it's own antenna but all of the different antennas would show up in Tvheadend as one network. The EPG would show all of the channels but use different Homerun/tuner depending on the channel.
Thanks,
Dan
(2015-12-03, 19:51)drhoeh Wrote: I live in an area where I have signals in two different directions. I was wondering if anyone has tried to setup multiple directional antennas and tie each one into HDHomerun. Each Homerun would have it's own antenna but all of the different antennas would show up in Tvheadend as one network. The EPG would show all of the channels but use different Homerun/tuner depending on the channel.
Thanks,
Dan
This should be pretty simple. I havent done it, but I've setup multiple tuners.
(2015-12-03, 19:51)drhoeh Wrote: I live in an area where I have signals in two different directions. I was wondering if anyone has tried to setup multiple directional antennas and tie each one into HDHomerun. Each Homerun would have it's own antenna but all of the different antennas would show up in Tvheadend as one network. The EPG would show all of the channels but use different Homerun/tuner depending on the channel.
Thanks,
Dan
I don't think I quite understand the point of only having one network. To me, that's the easiest way to do what you want to do. You set up a network for each antenna and then assign the tuners connected to that antenna to the corresponding network. Then when you create your muxes, each of which corresponds to an actual channel, you can pick the antenna/network that offers the best reception on that channel. So you still have all your channels in your channels list but as you tune to one or another it automatically selects the correct network, and therefore the best antenna. I have a feeling you might have a misconception about the purpose of the "networks", they are really just groups of muxes assigned to the same tuner(s). Is there some particular reason you think it would be beneficial to have both antennas show up under the same network?
I appreciate your answer and I was under the assumption that the tuners had to be on the same network to all appear on the same EPG. Now that I read your post and looked over TvHeadend I see what you mean.

I am living in an odd spot with signals from many directions and this will solve the problem. One signal I want to hit needs an amp to reach it and I don't want to over power the more local channels. This will allow me to put up several antennas in different directions and then combine them using TvHeadend. I tried to just combine them with a splitter but that was a disaster, live and learn.
Thanks,
Dan
(2015-12-19, 10:49)birdwatcher Wrote: ...  You set up a network for each antenna and then assign the tuners connected to that antenna to the corresponding network. Then when you create your muxes, each of which corresponds to an actual channel, you can pick the antenna/network that offers the best reception on that channel. So you still have all your channels in your channels list but as you tune to one or another it automatically selects the correct network, and therefore the best antenna. 
Very old thread, I know, but it's on-target for my situation.

I installed TvHeadend client and server on a Pi3 and configured my 4 HDHomerun tuners (connected to 4 different antennas).  I didn't want to do exactly what was outlined above [for each frequency, the antenna with "the best" reception is selected].  This would spawn concurrent use problems.  For example, if I had a recording going on "antenna A" on one system, then it would be impossible to watch another channel concurrently if that one was mapped to that antenna.

Instead, I wanted to consider all tuneable channels, which I have done.  So when I look at the TvHeadend UI (which I think is one of the best web UI's I've seen...love it!), I see that, CBS HD (for example), is there on three of the 4 antennas.  Good so far.

But when I get to Kodi to watch TV, I don't know how to tell which antenna it's pulling from, by default.  And I don't know how to switch to a different antenna if that feed is glitching.

Can anyone give me any guidance?
Does it not tell you which tuner it's using ?  If I press 'o' (letter oh) on my keyboard, it shows me which tuner is in use.

Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-02-24, 17:26)black_eagle Wrote: Does it not tell you which tuner it's using ?  If I press 'o' (letter oh) on my keyboard, it shows me which tuner is in use.
Thanks for the idea. I'm new to this, so this helps, but unfortunately in my configuration, it doesn't have any data.
(2020-02-24, 17:13)sengsational Wrote:
(2015-12-19, 10:49)birdwatcher Wrote: ...  You set up a network for each antenna and then assign the tuners connected to that antenna to the corresponding network. Then when you create your muxes, each of which corresponds to an actual channel, you can pick the antenna/network that offers the best reception on that channel. So you still have all your channels in your channels list but as you tune to one or another it automatically selects the correct network, and therefore the best antenna. 
Very old thread, I know, but it's on-target for my situation.

I installed TvHeadend client and server on a Pi3 and configured my 4 HDHomerun tuners (connected to 4 different antennas).  I didn't want to do exactly what was outlined above [for each frequency, the antenna with "the best" reception is selected].  This would spawn concurrent use problems.  For example, if I had a recording going on "antenna A" on one system, then it would be impossible to watch another channel concurrently if that one was mapped to that antenna.

Instead, I wanted to consider all tuneable channels, which I have done.  So when I look at the TvHeadend UI (which I think is one of the best web UI's I've seen...love it!), I see that, CBS HD (for example), is there on three of the 4 antennas.  Good so far.

But when I get to Kodi to watch TV, I don't know how to tell which antenna it's pulling from, by default.  And I don't know how to switch to a different antenna if that feed is glitching.

Can anyone give me any guidance?   

Make a separate network for each antenna / HD Homerun. (i.e. only add one network to each HD Homerun).
Add each frequency (i.e. mux) you want to receive separately to each network and find the services and map the channels (don't merge channels of the same name).  If you get the same channels on two different HD Homeruns (i.e. from two antennas) - they will appear as separate services (one for each network) and should appear as separate channels (though if LCNs are used they may appear to have the same channel numbers - i.e. you might have two channel entries on the same number)
You can then manually rename and renumber the duplicate services differently (you will see which network they are on) so you know which is which (I could have 'BBC One A', 'BBC One B' for antenna A and antenna B in the UK. For sanity I'd probably renumber them so that Antenna A channels were in the 100s, Antenna B channels in the 200s etc.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
multiple HDHomerun and Antennas0