• 131(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-08-27, 14:16)jonascotch Wrote: But, the Kodi Krypton PVR TvHeadend problem is important to me. Will this be probably be fixed in the future?
Yes and that is why I use AML S905(x) LibreELEC Kodi Krypton for ultra reliable TvHeadend PVR use. Or Android SPMC 16.7.1 (Kodi Jarvis).
Both combos still use Amcodec Hardware acceleration and produce high quality Advanced Motion Adaptive Hardware deinterlacing.

I hope the TvH issue is fixed in Android Kodi v18 Leia.
But even then unless AMLogic improve their mediacodec hardware deinterlacing I would still use the Amcodec combos above and still prefer reliable LibreELEC.
As an example 576i mpeg2 with AMLogic Kodi Krypton mediacodec only deinterlacing, even with Nougat Firmware, results in noticeably blockier picture outputs vs Amcodec.

SPMC 17.x Krypton has a mpeg2 Software acceleration option where you can also use high quality Software YADIFx2 deinterlacing for 480/576i TV.
Still has TvH problems tho.

Quote:If I have to buy 2 boxes, then I think I would invest in Odroid or Khadas, rather Minix U1 or Vero, because these last are more expensive and slower for running LE.
Fastest AML S905(x) LibreELEC = running it from eMMC flash storage. Even a good Samsung EVO(+) SD card is not that slow day to day.
Don't forget fastest also includes an ultra responsive Wireless remote. Wink

At first I thought the best solution was to buy two devices, odroid c2 for libreelec and minix neo u9-h for android, the price of two devices is high, at this point the better the NVIDIA Shield.

First solution

To save, I also thought I would take MECOOL M8S Pro + with the MINIX A2 remote, but the M8S Pro + does not have wifi, do you recommend a reliable shop to buy them ? A shop that ship to italy.

I found this shop:

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_656048.html

https://www.gearbest.com/air-mouse/pp_339988.html

Second solution

Another more expensive solution is webtek play 2 with minix neo A2 lite.

The only devices that allow a dual boot android libreelec are the wetek play 2 and the MECOOL M8S Pro +, the MECOOL M8S Pro + has the advantage of the s905x cpu.

Third solution

If you only use libreelec and you do not have to go often from android to libreelec the best solution is perhaps the minix neo u1

Fourth solution

Or Xiaomi Mi Box for Android is the c2 odroid for libreelec plus the minix neo A2 lite.

Fifth solution

Minix neo u1 for android and MECOOL M8S Pro + for libreelec.

Only in the end have two devices switched on can be uncomfortable, if the two devices are in the same room it may be difficult to control them both with the minix neo A2 lite.

It is not easy for me to find out.
Just for info.... AMLogic devices:

Working Android TV 1080p Netflix + 5.1 Audio if that is important:

- Xiaomi Mi Box
- MECOOL M8S Pro +

Currently Android TV Netflix is Broken on the WeTek Hub & Play2 - until WeTek fix it hopefully.

MECOOL:

I bought mine from Geekbuying. No idea about shipping to Europe.

You need the 2GB/16GB version for a decent Android box.

I have 2.4GHz only N Band WiFi now working on the ATV ROM on the MECOOL. I would not rely on it tho due to possible WiFi interference issues @ 2.4GHz. BT still does not work. But work is being done to add support using a v4.0 CSR (Cambridge) BT USB Dongle.

I also have Bluetooth working in LibreELEC only currently on the MECOOL with a dirt cheap v4.0 CSR BT USB Dongle.
WiFi is not working with LE on this box.

If DIY (Nougat) Android TV dual boot LibreELEC & A2 lite remote on MECOOL does not satisfy, then buy a companion cheap Xiaomi Mi Box for Android TV. Use MECOOL for LibreELEC only.

WeTek Play2 currently has the best unofficial ATV ROM, but beware broken ATV Netflix.

If not wanting to DIY, and needing Android TV - then buy a all in one hardware package - NVIDIA Shield.

Otherwise the MINIX U9 is a decent Android package as well. Kodi Krypton works nicely with minor VC-1 and Major TvHeadend PVR issues.
It also has a nice Android TV ROM, now with working 1080p Netflix. Beware the MINIX A3 lite remote wake from sleep issues. (click)
Snappy Box the U9, the fastest of all the AMLogic's Wink

Hmm i bought the Xiaomi Mi Box to get the great Android experience and also the Play 2 for the perfect libreelec...but after reading abit it seems the Play 2 can do everything the Mi box can do in android aswell ? or have it missed something ? what cant the play 2 do that the mi box can ?
(2017-08-27, 14:56)marck120 Wrote: At first I thought the best solution was to buy two devices, odroid c2 for libreelec and minix neo u9-h for android, the price of two devices is high, at this point the better the NVIDIA Shield.

First solution

To save, I also thought I would take MECOOL M8S Pro + with the MINIX A2 remote, but the M8S Pro + does not have wifi, do you recommend a reliable shop to buy them ? A shop that ship to italy.

I found this shop:

Second solution

The only devices that allow a dual boot android libreelec are the wetek play 2 and the MECOOL M8S Pro +, the MECOOL M8S Pro + has the advantage of the s905x cpu.

Third solution

If you only use libreelec and you do not have to go often from android to libreelec the best solution is perhaps the minix neo u1

Fourth solution

Or Xiaomi Mi Box for Android is the c2 odroid for libreelec plus the minix neo A2 lite.

Fifth solution

Only in the end have two devices switched on can be uncomfortable, if the two devices are in the same room it may be difficult to control them both with the minix neo A2 lite.

is the MECOOL M8S Pro + better than Wetek play 2 for libreelec ?
What "soc" is best for libreelec ? s905x or s905h? or just plain s905 ?
God im realy confused, i just want the best box or boxes to run:

4K as good as possible
HDR as good as possible (basicly i can ignore HDR IF there is no device that can handle this and my other requirements perfectly)
1080P as good as possible
Apps like Netflix ect in max resolution and 7.1 sound
7.1 hd passthrough.
All video with auto freq switches and perfect PQ

I dont care about price, can someone name drop the best solution and be my hero ? i dont mind switching boxes is that what it takes to get my requirements 100% perfect

I just ordered the mibox and the play2...is those the best solutions for the above running the libreelec on the play2 and android on the mibox ?
Or do i even need the play2 since the mibox can run libreelec to ?
i just want perfection
(2017-08-27, 15:46)wrxtasy Wrote: Just for info.... AMLogic devices:

Working Android TV 1080p Netflix + 5.1 Audio if that is important:

- Xiaomi Mi Box
- MECOOL M8S Pro +

Currently Android TV Netflix is Broken on the WeTek Hub & Play2 - until WeTek fix it hopefully.

MECOOL:

I bought mine from Geekbuying. No idea about shipping to Europe.

You need the 2GB/16GB version for a decent Android box.

I have 2.4GHz only N Band WiFi now working on the ATV ROM on the MECOOL. I would not rely on it tho due to possible WiFi interference issues @ 2.4GHz. BT still does not work. But work is being done to add support using a v4.0 CSR (Cambridge) BT USB Dongle.

I also have Bluetooth working in LibreELEC only currently on the MECOOL with a dirt cheap v4.0 CSR BT USB Dongle.
WiFi is not working with LE on this box.

If DIY (Nougat) Android TV dual boot LibreELEC & A2 lite remote on MECOOL does not satisfy, then buy a companion cheap Xiaomi Mi Box for Android TV. Use MECOOL for LibreELEC only.

WeTek Play2 currently has the best unofficial ATV ROM, but beware broken ATV Netflix.

If not wanting to DIY, and needing Android TV - then buy a all in one hardware package - NVIDIA Shield.

Otherwise the MINIX U9 is a decent Android package as well. Kodi Krypton works nicely with minor VC-1 and Major TvHeadend PVR issues.
It also has a nice Android TV ROM, now with working 1080p Netflix. Beware the MINIX A3 lite remote wake from sleep issues. (click)
Snappy Box the U9, the fastest of all the AMLogic's Wink

Thank you very much, you are very kind and helpful.

Personally I do not care about Netflix, unfortunately it is a paid service. I'm interested in libreelec and Android, Android only free services.

Now let me know if Geekbuying ships in italy: http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-M8...81461.html , I think it's as reliable as a shop.

Excuse me, The dual boot DIY (Nougat) Android TV how did you explain it works by holding down the power button on the remote control ? On WeTek Play2 works this way.

Keeping the Xiaomi Mi Box for Android TV and MECOOL for libreelec is not uncomfortable, with just one remote control it's difficult, devices I need to connect them to the same TV, maybe it's better than just one device, Android TV + libreelec.

In my case, Android TV + libreelec, is WeTek Play2 or MECOOL better ?

Regarding MECOOL the wifi I think I do not use, as limited as you have suggested I can take a wifi usb module.

One question, the minix a2 lite also works on windows 10 ? If I had already asked, I apologize.

The MINIX U9 unfortunately is not compatible with libreelec otherwise it is just an excellent device. At the limit I could take the minix neo u1.

The cheapest NVIDIA SHIELD costs around 200 euros.
(2017-08-27, 16:38)hausmanis Wrote:
(2017-08-27, 14:56)marck120 Wrote: At first I thought the best solution was to buy two devices, odroid c2 for libreelec and minix neo u9-h for android, the price of two devices is high, at this point the better the NVIDIA Shield.

First solution

I found this shop:

Second solution

Third solution

Fourth solution

Fifth solution

is the MECOOL M8S Pro + better than Wetek play 2 for libreelec ?

I can not say sorry, I put the same question at @wrxtasy, we expect it to answer. The top of what is left of the nvidia shield, but I do not know if it works with libreelec.
(2017-08-27, 17:02)hausmanis Wrote: God im realy confused, i just want the best box or boxes to run:

4K as good as possible
HDR as good as possible (basicly i can ignore HDR IF there is no device that can handle this and my other requirements perfectly)
1080P as good as possible
Apps like Netflix ect in max resolution and 7.1 sound
7.1 hd passthrough.
All video with auto freq switches and perfect PQ

I dont care about price, can someone name drop the best solution and be my hero ? i dont mind switching boxes is that what it takes to get my requirements 100% perfect.

I just ordered the mibox and the play2...is those the best solutions for the above running the libreelec on the play2 and android on the mibox ?
Or do i even need the play2 since the mibox can run libreelec to ?
i just want perfection

Nothing is "perfect" but the closest for ALL your requirements is the NVIDIA Shield.

If you need to use Kodi Krypton with reliable TvHeadend deinterlacing, buy an extra AMLogic S905(x) box for LibreELEC and use a MINIX A2 lite remote with it.

You need to read Post #1 again and take note of this section:

1080p/4K Netflix and Amazon Video streaming

Q. I need a Kodi box that can play 1080p or 4K DRM copy protected video streams such as Netflix, HBO etc. ?
NOTE: Unless you have a HDMI connected Dolby Digital Plus Audio receiver, expect 2.0 Audio only from DD+ DRM streaming Apps running on Android TV platforms. Only very specific devices, noted below can run the Amazon Video App properly.

1080p/4K Android Netflix / Amazon Video is only possible on media players boxes that include Widevine L1 & HDCP 1.x/2.2 support in device Firmware.
  • NVIDIA Shield (4K HDR Netflix / 4K HDR Amazon Video)
  • Xiaomi Mi Box (4K Netflix - no HDR)
  • Amazon Stick/FTV1 + FTV2 (4K) (Amazon Video)
  • Intel / AMD x86-64 computers with GeForce GT 1030 or later Nvidia graphics card solution running Win10, using either dedicated Apps or a Web Browser.
  • WeTek's Core (1080p touchscreen Netflix, audio is 2.0 only)
  • WeTek Hub & Play2 (1080p touchscreen Netflix, audio is 2.0 only)
  • Apple TV4
  • MECOOL M8S Pro + (S905X) (1080p Netflix with 3rd party Android TV Firmware)

Android TV = easy to use Android Apps with a simple Wireless remote. Smile
Touchscreen Netflix / Android = difficulties, you have to use an Air Mouse remote which a bunch of people really hate. Sad

There is no LibreELEC available for the NVIDIA Shield and I seriously doubt there ever will be.

(2017-08-27, 17:08)marck120 Wrote: Personally I do not care about Netflix, unfortunately it is a paid service. I'm interested in libreelec and Android, Android only free services.

Excuse me, The dual boot DIY (Nougat) Android TV how did you explain it works by holding down the power button on the remote control ? On WeTek Play2 works this way.

See Post #1937

Quote:Keeping the Xiaomi Mi Box for Android TV and MECOOL for libreelec is not uncomfortable, with just one remote control it's difficult, devices I need to connect them to the same TV, maybe it's better than just one device, Android TV + libreelec.

If you do not care about Netflix buy the WeTek Play2, due to easier to use Dual Boot and superior Android TV ROM where everything pretty much " just works". Smile

Play2 is also reference LibreELEC hardware, LibreELEC will even Autoupdate if you want it too. You can even get a TV Tuner if you wish. That works with LibreELEC and Android TV as well.

This Mi Box 3 Bluetooth remote will work out of the box with the Play2's ATV ROM. Xiaomi make fantastic simple BT remotes. It however will not work in LibreELEC.

If you want to use regular tablet/touchscreen Android Apps on the Play2 - you have to purchase a Wireless Air mouse remote like the MINIX A2 lite. Works with both Android TV and LibreELEC as well.

PS. You might want to read this Post
The code is used at the WeTek Online store.

(2017-08-27, 18:12)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-08-27, 17:08)marck120 Wrote: Personally I do not care about Netflix, unfortunately it is a paid service. I'm interested in libreelec and Android, Android only free services.

See Post #1937

Quote:Keeping the Xiaomi Mi Box for Android TV and MECOOL for libreelec is not uncomfortable, with just one remote control it's difficult, devices I need to connect them to the same TV, maybe it's better than just one device, Android TV + libreelec.

If you do not care about Netflix buy the WeTek Play2, due to easier to use Dual Boot and superior Android TV ROM where everything pretty much " just works". Smile

Play2 is also reference LibreELEC hardware, LibreELEC will even Autoupdate if you want it too. You can even get a TV Tuner if you wish. That works with LibreELEC and Android TV as well.

This Mi Box 3 Bluetooth remote will work out of the box with the Play2's ATV ROM. Xiaomi make fantastic simple BT remotes. It however will not work in LibreELEC.

If you want to use regular tablet/touchscreen Android Apps on the Play2 - you have to purchase a Wireless Air mouse remote like the MINIX A2 lite. Works with both Android TV and LibreELEC as well.

PS. You might want to read this Post
The code is used at the WeTek Online store.

Thank you so much, together with WeTek Play2 I want to take the Minix NEO A2 LITE, I hope there are not two versions, these are the right models ?

https://www.amazon.it/Minix-Lite-Acceler...op?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.it/Minix-NEO-A2-LITE-...ms?ie=UTF8

I am interested in the satellite tuner, I have a 12 LNB system, do I have any idea if the satellite tuner is compatible with the diseqc 1.1 protocol ?

Yes that is the correct MINIX A2 lite remote.

No idea about Sat. Tuners @noggin will likely be able to help when he reads your post.
Or someone over on WeTek forums, or the Play2 Hardware thread.

"If you need to use Kodi Krypton with reliable TvHeadend deinterlacing, buy an extra AMLogic S905(x) box for LibreELEC and use a MINIX A2 lite remote with it."

thanks and the play2 qualifies for this right ?
Thumbs Up 
(2017-08-27, 19:08)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes that is the correct MINIX A2 lite remote.

No idea about Sat. Tuners @noggin will likely be able to help when he reads your post.
Or someone over on WeTek forums, or the Play2 Hardware thread.

Perfect, thank you very much, I have no other questions, if I have any doubt I let you know.
  • 131(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28