• 140(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
@ ravens,

Kodi only for Music and Video with SPDIF (optical):

MINIX U1
Vero4K
WeTek Play2
Any cheap AMLogic S905(X) that has inbuilt SPDIF

And then run LibreELEC or OSMC Kodi Krypton on them.

The reason the MINIX U1 is expensive is simply because of the superior quality of the hardware and the wireless remote included.
The Wireless MINIX A2 lite mini keyboard remote that comes with the U1 is one of the best on the market.

Have a read of the following link that has all the details:

(click) LE forums - Choosing a AML S905 / S905X / S905W / S905D box discussion.

Otherwise yes the Xiaomi Mi Box will do what you want and has SPDIF (optical), but it will not run Kodi as well as the boxes mentioned above.
The Mi Box does comes with an excellent Wireless remote and very easy to use Android TV Apps.
It all depends on how demanding a Kodi user you are.

(2017-09-08, 19:52)hausmanis Wrote:
(2017-09-07, 16:32)MidnightWatcher Wrote: The Vero 4K will do virtually everything you want to do today and when you get a 4K display in the future, with excellent support from the OSMC team. OSMC is superior to any of the Android KODI boxes. You'll spend a little bit more up front but it should save you future headaches, let alone time and money. IMHO.

i can +1 that comment, recently went to buy a Vero 4k aswell and its an amazing product for Kodi (osmc) everything just works perfectly and its plug and play aswell.

Tobad tho that you cant get perfect kodi mixed with good app support like android.

The best solution for perfectionists like me today is to get a Vero 4k for Kodi and another android box for the apps if you dont got every app you need built in your tv already.
Personally i live in Sweden so the local TV apps is missing in my samsung and thats why i use a android box aswell.
As far as i know vero 4K has torrent client at osmc app stote?so i can download torrents from there?are there a lot of apps supported at osmc store?
Apparently there is an actual dedicated Vero 4K thread around here somewhere where you will get answers direct from the founder of the OSMC project and seller of the Vero 4K .... Wink

An answer of someone that owns the device would also be reliable and also it would save some time to Sam cause i am sure he has more important questions to answer,
The Transmission torrent client can be found in the App Store. As OSMC features Debian, you can install a large number (thousands) of packages.

Sam
Been reading Wrxtasy advice on android boxes which has been quite helpful.

Thinking about getting the minix u1 .

Was hoping to use a vpn whilst running kodi.

Is this a simple enough thing to do?

Also if this is an inappropriate question to ask on here then apologies as am a noob on here.

Cheers
(2017-09-11, 21:14)olpmh1 Wrote: Been reading Wrxtasy advice on android boxes which has been quite helpful.

Also if this is an inappropriate question to ask on here then apologies as am a noob on here.

Cheers

There are many reasons to use a VPN, you don't need a VPN to run Kodi.

If you choose to use a VPN there are many to choose from, you can install a VPN app and stop and start the VPN whenever you need to.
(2017-09-11, 21:14)olpmh1 Wrote: Been reading Wrxtasy advice on android boxes which has been quite helpful.

Cheers
No idea about Android & Kodi and VPN's but please read This POST about OpenVPN that is included in every LibreELEC release.

Cheers

The answer to your question is yes.
I have the U1 myself & I use Ipvanish.
There is an Ipvanish app in the Play Store.
There are other Vpn's as well of course & I have also used PIA vpn with the Minix box.

You don't have to use a Vpn with Kodi but I would advise that you do.

Regards.
Tony.
Hi some advise. Looking at kodi player... read about chromecast ultra, intel nuc and raspberry pi
So query is which ornother is best for pricr below £100 with ability to update kodi as it developes ability to use vpn is also needed
(2017-09-12, 13:36)dragonuck Wrote: Hi some advise. Looking at kodi player... read about chromecast ultra, intel nuc and raspberry pi
So query is which ornother is best for pricr below £100 with ability to update kodi as it developes ability to use vpn is also needed

For that money I would try the Minix U1.
Available for less than £100 on Amazon.
Yes agreed, excellent WiFi, and excellent Wireless A2 lite remote. You need to buy the A2 lite remote with it.

Can also Dual boot and run AMLogic S905 LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - the best Kodi going around at the moment.

Nice choice yes!But about the android stuff it is stuck at 5.1?i think there is no official support about minix as far as i know right?there is no new firmware stuck so long...
I read about S905X MECOOL M8S Pro+  would this be better
(2017-09-12, 14:58)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes agreed, excellent WiFi, and excellent Wireless A2 lite remote. You need to buy the A2 lite remote with it.

Can also Dual boot and run AMLogic S905 LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - the best Kodi going around at the moment.

Didn't know that so thanks.

(2017-09-12, 15:19)rapart Wrote: Nice choice yes!But about the android stuff it is stuck at 5.1?i think there is no official support about minix as far as i know right?there is no new firmware stuck so long...

I have heard people complaining about Minix being slow to update their boxes after a while.
This review about the best 2017 Android boxes is worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y15HWj1Sro&t=305s
  • 140(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28