• 150(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Hi @wrxtasy

With my minix I can't get the micro SD card work, I have a sandisk and lexar 300x but they don't work.
So I made it run with a USB but it's really not fast and responsive compare to my Chromebox.

for AMlogic you say in :
TIP2: Internal eMMC flash storage will be faster still - LibreELEC can be flashed to internal storage on AMLogic boxes after it is first running from a SD card.

So I make this, boot from USB, use internal memory for data this make some improvement on the library response.
After I try to installing to internal memory with installtointernal command every runs fine but after reboot libreELEC error and black screen.

What is/are my mistake?
Any idea about the micro SD cards ?
Is that not working because I use internal memory for data before trying to install to internal?

thanks in advance for your help.
Sorry but this is NOT a AMLogic LibreELEC support thread, and it is not going to be turned into one either. I have to draw the line somewhere.

Kindly ask for help in the device specific, LibreELEC AMLogic S912 Sub forum. That is exactly what those LE forums are for.
Users over there can very likely help. I've not had the problems with SD cards you are describing with the U9.

Ok sorry for that, I will repost it at the right place.
(2017-11-07, 06:47)guandms Wrote: SheHateMe
Can you please send us the link to the guide you used to install LibreELEC as the main OS, thanks.

Sure!
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/5848-8.../?pageNo=1 (For Device Tree and LE image)

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/5556-h...12-device/ (How to install from SD or USB and also how to install to internal)

Easy peasy. Just make sure to grab the correct device tree. Smile
|Kodi: Nvidia Shield 2019|Media Server: Unraid 40TB|TV Tuner: HDHR Prime|Server Apps: TVHeadend w/ Cablecard (FIOS), Plex (Kodi backend), Radarr, Sonarr
OK I think I will buy the Minix Neo U9-H then.
One thing bothers me though. If I've read correctly it has an internal eMMC storage but it's not recommended to install LE there and insted you need to use an SD card or USB drive.
Doesn't that mean that the UI will be less snappier ?
(2017-11-07, 21:12)Haohmaru Wrote: OK I think I will buy the Minix Neo U9-H then.
One thing bothers me though. If I've read correctly it has an internal eMMC storage but it's not recommended to install LE there and insted you need to use an SD card or USB drive.

From my understanding, its not recommended to install to internal because you could brick your device and then you'd need to find an Android image to install back onto it. Installing LE to internal will overwrite the original Android OS meaning it will now boot straight into LE and you cannot go back to booting into Android unless you get an Android image and install it.

I did my research and decided that I wasn't concerned for two reasons. The first one being that it was ridiculously easy to install LE on this thing. If you are of average intelligence, I just dont see how you could mess it up. The second reason was that I found an Android image on the Minix forums that I could use at any time to reinstall Android back onto the box.

So you don't NEED to use an SD card of a USB drive if your intention is to use this box semi-permanently as a LE box for Kodi. As long as you understand the risks, you can do whatever you want

I ended up getting mine from Amazon. It comes with a basic remote that is just fine for LE. I also have a Harmony Remote, but I am still working on getting it setup how I want.
Don't be an idiot like I was. Use the antenna that comes with it if you plan to use BT devices. I was beating my head against the wall for 2 days trying to figure out why it didn't see my PS4 controllers. Luckily, I would be able to see the antenna inside my media cabinet once I get it built. I dont know about the quality of the HDMI cable. I tend to not use included video cables for anything I buy. I normally keep a stockpile of Monoprice HDMI cables and a roll of Cat 6 so I can make my own ethernet cables.
|Kodi: Nvidia Shield 2019|Media Server: Unraid 40TB|TV Tuner: HDHR Prime|Server Apps: TVHeadend w/ Cablecard (FIOS), Plex (Kodi backend), Radarr, Sonarr
(2017-11-07, 21:39)SheHateMe Wrote:
(2017-11-07, 21:12)Haohmaru Wrote: OK I think I will buy the Minix Neo U9-H then.

From my understanding, its not recommended to install to internal because you could brick your device and then you'd need to find an Android image to install back onto it. Installing LE to internal will overwrite the original Android OS meaning it will now boot straight into LE and you cannot go back to booting into Android unless you get an Android image and install it.

Thx mate !
This is what I use for Dual Boot on the U9:

[HOW TO] Boot from SD card / USB , use internal, faster eMMC for (LibreELEC Kodi) data (click)

That setup does not mess with Internal Android at all, but you still get the everyday speed benefits of eMMC flash storage when using LibreELEC Kodi.

Even an Android OS update will not mess with LibreELEC Kodi data because the internal Data partition is not touched during an OTA .zip Android update. I normally do a simple LibreELEC .tar backup beforehand anyway.

Thank you wrxtasy. I've read that dual boot guide but if I understand it correctly it's not something you begin with from a clean retail state isn't it ?
I mean it says right at the beginning "WARNING: Before proceeding, remember to backup your SD card that you boot LE from ". Well I won't have yet LE preinstalled when the Minix arrives so I guess the guide assumes that you've already installed it right ? Can I use the guide found here for that?
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/5556-h...912-device
Thx
Hi,
First of all I would like to thank you guys for the all the effort you put into compiling all the info and supporting others to find appropriate hardware. Smile

I am now having questions to "new" hardware since I have to replace the system(CUDA) I currently use.
The system I would like to go for is either the Himedia Q10 or the Zidoo X10. Any advices or hints for which one to go here?

So for both systems I have to rely on manufacturers firmware to stay up to date weith Andorid version (so far I hab Ubuntu running as a base OS) and as soon as they decide to not to support the corresponding model anylonger I wont get any updates and so after some time wont be able to run current version of Kodi(plus there will be potentiall security risk)?

At least for Himdeia Q10 I found couple of boxes on the internet who look exactly  like Himedia but seem to have different manufacturer like Fantec. In case I ld go for a Himedia is it also ok to buy a Fantec or should just go for the Himedia one?

Thanks for any answers Smile
i can just say this, ive hunted for the perfect android box for years and like many people said here before...android cant be perfect

So..what to do ?

If you want a perfect kodi solution...well then you need 2 boxes sadly but true.

Get a Vero 4k for that perfect Kodi box.

Then get a strong android box for the apps you need.

WIN
vero 4k= no 3D ISO MVP (at full resolution)
Wink 
OMG 3D was so 2010.
Unless you are in China where it is huge right now.

Jokes aside - everyone has different priorities and requirements for their media consumption.  There is no perfect device for everyone - which is why page 1is so important, and really good, and why we all appreciate the effort wrxtasy goes to.
Watch the Guadians of Galaxy 2 MVC iso in a OLED65E6V (Or Transformers, or Ghost in the Shell, or Alien Covenant, or the Grear Wall...) and then come back...

Of course there is not a perfect device... The shield couldn't change color space properly and doesn't support iso 3d MVC (like the vero).
I check this year with the shield, a ziddo, a himedia, a hdstation/qnap, and the LG WebOS player...
I need now the shield for kodi/1080p, the rp3b for iso 3d and the lg webplayer for 4K/HDR...
Next week i will try with the apple TV 4K (tvOS 11.2b)
Thanks for your answer, guys!

It seems there too many possibilities - haha. Still no clue which device would be best for my needs.
I think I like the Linux based ones(odroid, Vero) more as you have possibilities than with the Android ones - additionally I dont have to wait/rely on manufacturer updates but can simply update the base Linux as soon as there is an update available.
I know there is also Libreelec but since I need Java for certain apps and LE has limitations when it comes to Java its not my first choice.
  • 150(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28