• 2(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
@wrxtasy, I signed up just to thank you for a very informative write up. I think WeTek core is what I will go for..I'm just waiting for their next discount promotion as it's a bit outside of my budget.

edit: I'll ask the rest of my question in the WeteK forum
Thanks!
Very informative thread thanks for that. I can say from personal experience you don't want a janky box no matter how cheap it may be. I'm looking forward to ordering this Wetek Core so I can throw this WD Streaming box out the window.
Thanks for this thread very helpfull Smile

I'm just curious how good the deinterlacing quality is compared to Intels chromeboxes?
Thanks for any help Smile

Regards
Vlaves
hdmkv has compared the Motion Compensating Hardware deinterlacing you get out of the AMLogic S812-H on the Core to that of a Chromebox and concluded that they are pretty similar.
I have a new 2015 4K TV to view this deinterlaced content, and the quality looks as good using the TV itself.

I also see the same high quality deinterlacing results as well out of a AMLogic S905 development board.
Its all very good Smile

(2015-12-29, 17:40)wrxtasy Wrote: hdmkv has compared the Motion Compensating Hardware deinterlacing you get out of the AMLogic S812-H on the Core to that of a Chromebox and concluded that they are pretty similar.
I have a new 2015 4K TV to view this deinterlaced content, and the quality looks as good using the TV itself.

I also see the same high quality deinterlacing results as well out of a AMLogic S905 development board.
Its all very good Smile

Thanks, but I guess I should have specidied it a bit more. How is the deinterlacing of the NVIDIA Shield compared to the chromeboxes or to the AMLogic deinterlacing?

Regards
Vlaves
I've watched 1080i live and recorded TV (ATSC USA mpeg2) on both Shield and Core and find playback just fine. No jaggies or tearing that I can see.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2015-12-30, 03:54)hdmkv Wrote: I've watched 1080i live and recorded TV (ATSC USA mpeg2) on both Shield and Core and find playback just fine. No jaggies or tearing that I can see.

Thanks Smile

Is there any documentation from NVIDIA maybe what deinterlacing method is used on the NVIDIA Shield TV?

I know I'm asking a lot, but my eyes are simplky really picky regarding deinterlacing of live TV. Was rteally happy with my Chromebox just that I need Netflix and the Gaming capabilities are also great. So if someone could tell me more precise on wich level the Shield is deinterlacing it would be really great.

Thats my only open point missing, which if turns out to be almost on the same level as the chromebox, would let me immediatelly buy two Shields.

Thanks again for your support here Smile

Regards
Vlaves
You could ask on nVidia's GEFORCE forum for Shield TV. I believe drhill (may be a Kodi forum member as well) is well versed on this topic.
My Family Room Theater
I was about to buy a shield till I read that one of the Kodi/android developers has resigned. Looks like Kodi is shifting away from Android platform. Sad to read this.
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Think they've taken the discussions private to hopefully resolve.
My Family Room Theater
I've tried tons of different media center platforms.

Shield is by far the best.
I am wanting to jump back into the home theater stuff for our living room. I was on the 5.1 stuff way back when LOL Recently we moved to a place with large enough room to enjoy. Not wanting to jump head first into the high end equipment.

Considering a Shield Pro with an Onkyo HT-S5800. I think this will give me enough to hang my feet in the water and enjoy it. Has to be family friendly.
(2015-12-21, 03:43)wrxtasy Wrote: However, for basic 4K/2K/1080p video playback, Intel i series NUC's are complete overkill and overpriced for Kodi use only.

This is where I have a problem because it seems you dismiss anything greater than a Chromebox as being unnecessary. I have a Chromebox on one TV and I would say that is the minimum. I spend a lot of time navigating around Kodi and from a pure hardware standpoint I want more speed, and if it costs me 10 cents more per day I am cool with that. The better hardware comes at a premium but I don't think it is "complete overkill and overpriced".

Ps. Wrxtasy, I don't have a problem with you in any way, in fact I have lost track of how many times I've had a question and you had the answer handy when I searched. Your work doesn't go unnoticed and I want to thank you.
(2016-01-01, 20:34)Qtrmeg Wrote:
(2015-12-21, 03:43)wrxtasy Wrote: However, for basic 4K/2K/1080p video playback, Intel i series NUC's are complete overkill and overpriced for Kodi use only.

This is where I have a problem because it seems you dismiss anything greater than a Chromebox as being unnecessary. I have a Chromebox on one TV and I would say that is the minimum. I spend a lot of time navigating around Kodi and from a pure hardware standpoint I want more speed, and if it costs me 10 cents more per day I am cool with that. The better hardware comes at a premium but I don't think it is "complete overkill and overpriced".

Ps. Wrxtasy, I don't have a problem with you in any way, in fact I have lost track of how many times I've had a question and you had the answer handy when I searched. Your work doesn't go unnoticed and I want to thank you.

I have a Sandybridge Celeron G540 with 4GBs or RAM , Nvidia 740 GPU and there is no difference in navigating libraries and basically anything in the Kodi menu on that versus my i7 workstation with 16GB or RAM or my Dell XPS 13 , unless i have nothing better to do than to to load up my development environment and 4-5 virtual machines while compiling code on the little Celeron HTPC while running Kodi, in which case yeah, the i7 toasts it. But then again, it`s a media player, not a workstation, i don`t do that stuff on it.

And considering the Chromebox probably has a better CPU than my old HTPC, you kinda get the point.
(2016-01-01, 20:47)Soulbind Wrote:
(2016-01-01, 20:34)Qtrmeg Wrote:

I have a Sandybridge Celeron G540 with 4GBs or RAM , Nvidia 740 GPU and there is no difference in navigating libraries and basically anything in the Kodi menu on that versus my i7 workstation with 16GB or RAM or my Dell XPS 13 , unless i have nothing better to do than to to load up my development environment and 4-5 virtual machines while compiling code on the little Celeron HTPC while running Kodi, in which case yeah, the i7 toasts it. But then again, it`s a media player, not a workstation, i don`t do that stuff on it.

And considering the Chromebox probably has a better CPU than my old HTPC, you kinda get the point.

I don't really get the point, but I'm far from being a computer geek. On the face of it you are running a real computer with more memory, not a gadget. The Chromebox is also a Celeron but w/ 2GB memory, running single boot Openelec dedicated to a display. The computer I compare it to is this, running Kodi from within Windows, with the TV as a second display, both displays driven by CPU graphics. >>>

Q03 Desktop

One media library has over 5000 titles and the i5 blows the doors off the Chromebox. I don't know why but it does.

Well I do know why. A better computer will beat a lesser computer, it always has.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28