• 3(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Also don't forget that you can do more then just watch media with Openelec.
I also use it to run Retroarch once in a while and if I want to play some N64 games it is good to have a little more power in the mini-pc.
And in future with Retroplayer we will be able to do this directly in Kodi without tinkering with Retroarch :-)
(2015-12-29, 17:40)wrxtasy Wrote: hdmkv has compared the Motion Compensating Hardware deinterlacing you get out of the AMLogic S812-H on the Core to that of a Chromebox and concluded that they are pretty similar.
I have a new 2015 4K TV to view this deinterlaced content, and the quality looks as good using the TV itself.

I also see the same high quality deinterlacing results as well out of a AMLogic S905 development board.
Its all very good Smile

Hi ,

I have a wetek core with the latest OTA update but if I compare the live tv ( kodi ) with a intel n3150 braswell board I find the picture not the same quality the colors are off and the picture look not so stable as the intel board. The signal is coming from tvheadend ,dvb-c 1080P broadcast.

Is deinterlacing default on with the core ( can not find any setting in kodi )

For testing purposes I use the same HDMI port on my panasonic gt30.
I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I currently have an ATV2 running the build before they stopped supporting it. I'm not really interested in 3D. I am looking for the best route to get similar items as I currently have:
Netflix :
The many repositories I have downloaded which now lock up or reset my box.
And the ability to stream movies from my iMac. Currently the iMac and ATV sync up and it's easy, which is important to my other half!
Any help with this is appreciated.
Thanks
(2015-12-21, 03:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Kodi 3D media players basically fall into 4 camps:
  1. [Linux] Decodes MVC in full and renders 3D in full, natively via Kodi: the one and only Raspberry Pi. Pi2 is recommended as 3D needs its extra horsepower.
  2. [Android] Decodes MVC in full and renders 3D in full, via an external player, with Kodi as just the front-end (HiMedia Q5/Q10, Zidoo X6, HiMedia H8, etc.). Just be aware that some external players are implemented very cleverly, using Kodi's videoplayer UI around them, so they almost appear like Kodi's player (but, skins, subs and other functions won't work properly).
  3. [Android] Decodes MVC in full, but renders 3D in half (so quality will be similar to HSBS and HTAB). This uses Koying's recently released MVC hack and is expected to make its way to AMLogic Sxxx boxes like WeTek Core, Minix U1, etc.
  4. [Android] VidOn solution (offered by Minix and Tronsmart). VidOn is a blatant GPL infringer, but they use a proprietary solution for MVC 3D. Makers of DVDFab are behind it, so they're well-versed in Blu-ray 3D. It has come to light however that VidOn's 3D output is really half-resolution, not full as they advertise, so similar to #3. My recommendation is to avoid VidOn, not only because of GPL, but because their solution exhibits several key issues (lack of 23.976, HDMI handshaking issues, etc.).

Confused as to why the Raspberry Pi is the only one in Linux that can do this, but not the Chromebox. Don't they both run OpenElec?
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Wetek Hub, AFTV
CoreELEC Nightly, LibreELEC 9.2, Kodi 20.2 
LG 65" OLED C9 and Integra DRX 3.4 w/ Dirac Live Atmos 5.1.2
(2016-01-05, 07:57)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote:
(2015-12-21, 03:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Kodi 3D media players basically fall into 4 camps:
  1. [Linux] Decodes MVC in full and renders 3D in full, natively via Kodi: the one and only Raspberry Pi. Pi2 is recommended as 3D needs its extra horsepower.
  2. [Android] Decodes MVC in full and renders 3D in full, via an external player, with Kodi as just the front-end (HiMedia Q5/Q10, Zidoo X6, HiMedia H8, etc.). Just be aware that some external players are implemented very cleverly, using Kodi's videoplayer UI around them, so they almost appear like Kodi's player (but, skins, subs and other functions won't work properly).
  3. [Android] Decodes MVC in full, but renders 3D in half (so quality will be similar to HSBS and HTAB). This uses Koying's recently released MVC hack and is expected to make its way to AMLogic Sxxx boxes like WeTek Core, Minix U1, etc.
  4. [Android] VidOn solution (offered by Minix and Tronsmart). VidOn is a blatant GPL infringer, but they use a proprietary solution for MVC 3D. Makers of DVDFab are behind it, so they're well-versed in Blu-ray 3D. It has come to light however that VidOn's 3D output is really half-resolution, not full as they advertise, so similar to #3. My recommendation is to avoid VidOn, not only because of GPL, but because their solution exhibits several key issues (lack of 23.976, HDMI handshaking issues, etc.).

Confused as to why the Raspberry Pi is the only one in Linux that can do this, but not the Chromebox. Don't they both run OpenElec?

Yes - but OpenElec is an OS not the media player. OpenElec is a lightweight linux distribution that is optimised, and includes, Kodi. Think of OpenElec being an equivalent to Ubuntu, Android or Windows. It's the OS.

The Kodi in OpenElec is the same Kodi that runs on Windows, Android, OS X, iOS or Linux. It supports some functionality on hardware and OSs that support that functionality, but if the underlying hardware or OS/GPU driver doesn't support it then it doesn't. 3D MVC, like hardware 2D acceleration, HD Audio etc. is not universally supported on every platform by Kodi - it is dependent on the hardware AND driver/OS support to be there for that functionality too.

The Raspberry Pi / Pi 2 is the only current platform with Open Source-friendly drivers that supports 3D MVC decode. Kodi has been written to support this, and so Kodi on the Pi / Pi 2 supports 3D MVC decode.

Unfortunately there isn't an equivalent Open Source-friendly driver for 3D MVC decode on Intel (even though the GPU may support it in hardware, this is of no importance if you can't access the hardware via the required drivers), so Kodi (whether under OpenElec, Ubuntu etc.) can't support 3D MVC decoding on the Intel platform.

Usually if a platform doesn't support hardware acceleration of a certain codec, then if the CPU is strong enough, you can revert to software decoding (which is how HEVC decoding can be done on devices without HEVC hardware acceleration). However there isn't an Open Source software implementation of 3D MVC decoding (in other words, it isn't in ffmpeg, which is what Kodi's software decoding is based on), so without hardware acceleration support (which requires OS/driver support), you are out of luck.

At the moment, the Pi / Pi 2 platform really is the only platform that has native 3D MVC decode in Kodi's internal player (because it is the only platform where hardware 3D MVC decode has been implemented in a manner that allows for it). Windows can only support it with an external player (that isn't Open Source), Android can only support it via the same route (or potentially also via a GPL-busting fork of Kodi - though we can't say that anyone has done this AFAIK)

Put another way - the Pi / Pi 2 has been supported incredibly well by the guys and gals working on that platform (both at the Pi Foundation and outside of it) - and that level of Linux support has just simply not been matched by other manufacturers like Intel, nVidia, and countless ARM SoC teams (even AMLogic). It is helped massively by the developers on the Pi platform REALLY knowing the Broadcom chips and being free to develop GPU firmware and drivers for them.
Just a request to OP or a Mod...can you change the title from "Dec 2015" to say 2016?

Pretty sure this thread will dominate all year, and it's just odd to see 2015...

Otherwise, congrats on a great OP. I'm looking at the Wetek Core thanks to this thread, but will await the recent developments with Kodi on ATV4
Ha ha, yes I forgot about the year changeover to 2016. Wink

Page #1 will be dynamically updated as more detailed reviews and confirmations of stable Firmware and Features come in during the year.

What will not be listed is devices that ship:

- containing Banned Kodi Addons or a device with an App to very easily install these Banned addons, like a bunch of cheap Android boxes do. This includes "Fully Loaded" boxes.
- with modified versions of XBMC / Kodi that do not meet GPL2 licence obligations
- from a Known manufacturer or seller that has deceived numerous XBMC / Kodi users in the past with outrageous Marketing lies.
- and finally devices that come with no support whatsoever from the device developers or sellers.

W.

i've had an Intel NUC D34010WY with an i3 Processor so far. Now i have also a 4k Beamer. I've tried today a "real" 4k Movie, and i see the Hardware hits its limits. (BIG TIME)

so if i would upgrade now, what would you suggest to be futureproof ? 4k60p ? HDMI 2.0 ?
(2016-01-12, 20:26)DrPepper Wrote: i've had an Intel NUC D34010WY with an i3 Processor so far. Now i have also a 4k Beamer. I've tried today a "real" 4k Movie, and i see the Hardware hits its limits. (BIG TIME)

so if i would upgrade now, what would you suggest to be futureproof ? 4k60p ? HDMI 2.0 ?

Shield, about as future proof as you can get (HDMI 2.0 , 4K 10bit decoding)
(2016-01-12, 20:42)Soulbind Wrote:
(2016-01-12, 20:26)DrPepper Wrote: i've had an Intel NUC D34010WY with an i3 Processor so far. Now i have also a 4k Beamer. I've tried today a "real" 4k Movie, and i see the Hardware hits its limits. (BIG TIME)

Shield, about as future proof as you can get (HDMI 2.0 , 4K 10bit decoding)

Can Kodi on the Shield pass Atmos now?
Find HD Audio passthrough support and user feedback reports for Kodi Android platforms over in this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252852

@wrxtasy I've read on this forum the past couple of days a lot and I saw your name popping up more than once and since I didn't find what I was looking for yet, i'm just gonna ask you directly here. (hopefully you're gonna see the message and take the time to answer)

My issue is pretty simple.
I need a cheap tv box ONLY for kodi use for the online content mostly for watching 720p/1080p online content such as TV series or movies.
I do NOT need to do gaming on it, render 3d, 4k or anything like this. I do NOT need to stream local content on it since my TV is an F6400 Samsung 46" (no 3d, no 4K) Smart TV and I use plex to stream on it from a PC with just the Plex app from samsung app store.
I prefer the box to run kodi smoothly and to have Android 5.1, but that's about it. ( I saw the Tronsmart S95 Pro was around 60 euros on amazon.fr, and yes I will prob buy it from Amazon.fr and I prefer something in the neighbourhood of 60-70 euros give or take)
I didn't know until I saw on this forum all the VidOn problems and I really don't want to buy a product from them. i use kodi for 2 years on my PC and I respect the people that are developing it (Kodi) for FREE too much to do that
So the main points would be
1.Android 5.1
2.ONLY watch online content from different add-ons 720p or 1080p
3. Decent remote so I wont have to buy a new one ( this is nto a dealbreaker, i'll just use the Kore from my phone if it's too bad, but a nice signal remote not having to push 3 times a button to respond would be great)
4. price around 60 euros
5. Running kodi smoothly

P.S. I don't want to use my PC to stream kodi from it or anything like that

Thank you !
Sorry I cannot help you due to forum rules:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons

Yep, I guess i should've read that first... my bad. But if i ask just for an 60 euros tv box running android 5.1 only for kodi online content with a decent remote?
What would you recommend?
(2016-01-13, 15:53)tyem Wrote: Yep, I guess i should've read that first... my bad. But if i ask just for an 60 euros tv box running android 5.1 only for kodi online content with a decent remote?
What would you recommend?

google nexus player is a good bet for that price.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28